Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Basic newbie question

In September we will start out from TN going to CO.

I’m still not clear on whether or not we can turn on the fridge a day earlier and leave it on during the trip west. Getting out of East TN is fairly hilly so I seem to remember that isn’t good for the fridge.

Additionally, if having it on is acceptable, do you set it on propane or battery?

Thanks!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
In September we will start out from TN going to CO.

I’m still not clear on whether or not we can turn on the fridge a day earlier and leave it on during the trip west. Getting out of East TN is fairly hilly so I seem to remember that isn’t good for the fridge.

Additionally, if having it on is acceptable, do you set it on propane or battery?

Thanks!
The fridge needs to be level when the trailer is stationary to work the best.
Definitely start up the fridge a day early as it takes up to a day for it to cool down to temperature. For travel, use the propane mode, using it in 12v will deplete your batteries quick like. When towing, the ammonia is sloshing around and this actually helps the performance of the fridge.
You can start it up on either propane or 120v to cool down. Some frozen gallons of water will help the cool down process.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I may be wrong but I don't believe the 25' FC has a 12V mode refrigerator. If it is like my 2018 It requires 12V to power the logic, controls and light. So on the road we keep the propane open and refrigerator in auto so it switches to propane and stays cold while traveling. Some states prohibit driving with the propane system active....

On the road the leveling issue does not apply, the jostling keeps the refrigerant from pooling. When stopped for more than an hour or so it does need to be level.

If you happen to have 12V mode refrigerator, I would consider using 12V mode. It will prevent your trailer batteries from fully charging while driving and if fully charged, they will drain a bit as the vehicle voltage and losses in the wires to the trailer is insufficient to keep it charged. It won't drop below about 80-85% so if you don't plan to boondock it might be fine. If you want to correct this issue, you can get a DC to DC charger/converter to boost the voltage so the battery will stay fully charged.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

If you have access to 11o volt power, just plug it in several days early. We leave our refrigerator running all the time on household electricity. If you do not have access to power, you would need to run it on propane gas as the battery power would not last very long without being recharged.

As far as refrigerator use generally, we have always left ours running all of the time. We usually shut it down once a year for defrost and cleaning. We have 30 amp power at our house where our Airstream is parked.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote