Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Some of these...
https://instagram.com/p/BD4Qxk0OEvG/
Old 11-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Hello from RI,

My wife and I have been part of Airstream family for over 13 year. Owned three units, now have two. Past president of New England unit of WBCCI. Drop us a PM and will be happy to share all we know. We live approx. 1 hours away from your town.

Best,

Titu & Gail

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #23
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
I scanned the lists above and may have missed, but I want to emphasize with a hard and loud footstomping. You must get a quality 250 ft.lb. torque wrench--it may well be the most important item you buy! Check your wheel lugs before you go out, in accordance with the manual. As important, with your Pro-Pride Hitch, be sure to check your torque settings on all of your bolts periodically, after you get it set-up. Bottom line: the Pro-Pride is amazing ... but keep it tight to prevent the yoke from shifting. It's that simple!

We did much of what's already listed ... also added the Hughes Autoformer with the Surge Protector, as well as the Progressive Industries Surge Protector. We use them together (Hughes into the power pole, then Progressive Industries into the Hughes, then trailer power cord). This works to bump the power up for the AC's if it dips, but if it's still too low, the Progressive Industries will shut the power off to prevent a brown-out from killing the AC motors.

Also, on our trailer, we have 50A power and that's a big, big cable to lug around. The last few times we were out, we didn't need to run two AC's, so I read that some recommended a 30A service line ... that was great advise. So, I need two 50-30 dog-bones to make it work, but it's all good. It's a pleasure to put/take the 30A power line instead of rolling out the 50A line when not needed...

Good luck...
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
By the way, Joellen, not necessarily for your maiden trip but for planning some time in the future, you might consider a cap in lieu of a tonneau cover. One additional improvement is to add a sliding drawer to the bed. We saw a bunch of vehicles equipped this way and all I can say is "WOW!" ... very slick set-up! We'll eventually change to the same...

You might also consider reading the towing safety/rollover threads on this forum ... learn about weight distribution, balancing, towing, safety, etc..

Stay safe...
Rich
Save
Old 11-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Bicycles, kayaks...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
What you need most???? Making the effort to take your new AS on the road and actually using and enjoying it. Safe travels. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
I scanned the lists above and may have missed, but I want to emphasize with a hard and loud footstomping. You must get a quality 250 ft.lb. torque wrench--it may well be the most important item you buy! Check your wheel lugs before you go out, in accordance with the manual. As important, with your Pro-Pride Hitch, be sure to check your torque settings on all of your bolts periodically, after you get it set-up. Bottom line: the Pro-Pride is amazing ... but keep it tight to prevent the yoke from shifting. It's that simple!

We did much of what's already listed ... also added the Hughes Autoformer with the Surge Protector, as well as the Progressive Industries Surge Protector. We use them together (Hughes into the power pole, then Progressive Industries into the Hughes, then trailer power cord). This works to bump the power up for the AC's if it dips, but if it's still too low, the Progressive Industries will shut the power off to prevent a brown-out from killing the AC motors.

Also, on our trailer, we have 50A power and that's a big, big cable to lug around. The last few times we were out, we didn't need to run two AC's, so I read that some recommended a 30A service line ... that was great advise. So, I need two 50-30 dog-bones to make it work, but it's all good. It's a pleasure to put/take the 30A power line instead of rolling out the 50A line when not needed...

Good luck...
Rich
Seems I did forget about the torque wrench. I bought one from Sears before we left and used it as asked on the maiden trip, and before each trip since for checking the lugs nuts. We don't use a sway/weight distribution hitch so not needed for that. However, instructions are pretty clear about checking torque on lug nuts. Sorry my original post forgot this. We also used our drill (driver) as our batteries were dead after having stored the trailer. We decided then that it would be smart to carry the drill and coupler for raising the jack manually. We use the provided wrench for extending the stabilizers.

Something we discovered on our last trip was that our TV was not charging as it should have through the 7 pin connector. It seems that Chevy doesn't install the required fuse to allow that circuit even when you have the tow package from the factory. Not much help through the dealers but google with some investigation determined what the problem was. This is incredibly helpful if you like to camp without hookups and need a charge from time to time.

Like most of the posts indicate, using your trailer will give you a great idea of what you need. Enjoy!
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #28

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
A nice large out door rug

Before we took our AS out for it's maiden voyage last month I scanned and found everything on mentioned very useful. It rained the 3 of the 4 days we were out, didn't mind it, but did discover that a nice large outdoor rug would have been wonderful. Our little 2' by 3' welcome mat was no match for the mud and dirt we tracked in. Also, having a rug would have nice so we could sit under the awning and watch the rain.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Internet hot spot, TPMS for trailer

The other lists have given you more than you can possibly carry without upgrading your axles and TV suspension, but the two little items on our list won't add much more:
1. Internet hot spot for those times when the campground Internet is inadequate, drops you every time you change a page, etc. (the rule, not the exception).
2. Tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer. I've seen what happens to the trailer when a Marathon blows out.
I don't recall if a torque wrench has already shown up on one of these lists, but I didn't use mine often enough and wound up shearing two studs on the TV with a third ready to go when discovered. Fortunately we were safely at the campground, parts were available close enough to arrive the same day, and our trip wasn't delayed.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
One last suggestion

Hi! We have been fulltiming in our AS for 3 years, and we love it. The lists you have received are great, however, I also recommend a can of WD40 SILICONE spray [not the oil]. This is a clean, easy-to-use lubricant, great for the awning hardware, all metal to metal such as all hinges, hitches, stabilizers and such. Also great to use on the window gaskets to clean and lubricate, and any locks. Much better than grease. The folks at AS Factory have agreed that this product is good for use on the AS. Inexpensive at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

Enjoy your new life!
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joellen View Post
Preparing for the purchase of our first Airstream.....purchased our TV today (new 2016 Silverado 2500).

Know that we need a tow hitch..... planning to purchase the ProPride.

Does anyone have a list of all the other things that we will need/want to prepare for our maiden voyage? Not food just everything else?
My suggestion, if you can afford it, is to get a fiberglass box like the one on the picture. It is amazingly useful.
Toutsi 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
A couple of things not mentioned above.
A tire pressure gauge
A long handle lighter for lighting the oven
Aerospace 303 spray for the sticky window gaskets
A long handle brush for s rubbing the upper reaches of your stream
Walberize liquid wax is the stuff for shining up and protecting the finish
The out can use leveling blocks to change a blown tire. My floor jack wouldn't raise high enough. Blew a tire taking a right hand corner too close.
Surgical gloves for handling sewer hoses
Big lotion
Sun lotion
Tool set
Little plugin electric tester for quick checks of campground power.
I carry a small compressor for filling tires and floaties in remote locations.

The Airstream owners manual has a great list of spares that you should carry. Fuses, etc.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Get the Ap Allstays for finding campgrounds.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #34
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ditto on the duct tape.

Comes in very handy for broken awning arms, TV that falls apart, &c when you're boondocking and nowhere near an RV service center, let alone an Airstream mechanic.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #35
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Get the Ap Allstays for finding campgrounds.
+1 for the Allstays app - the only app we've ever paid for and by far use it more than any other source for finding suitable overnight spots.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
What do we need in addition to our Airstream and TV?

Trailer-Aid Plus and Impact Wrenches with the appropriate sized sockets. We had a flat tire on our FC 27FB on our maiden voyage and having these tools sure lessened the stress and got us back underway in short order.

BTW, we haven't needed them since but it's sure nice knowing they're there and available if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:53 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wilkie talkies to help with backing
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #38
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I didn't know this: the AS backup camera also has a mic so the driver can hear whoever is back there. It's not two way unfortunately.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Wilkie talkies to help with backing
A good idea, but we generally resort to the cheaper option of yelling and screaming.

(She: "Go left, go left"!
He: "I am going left!"
She: "No, no, your other left!.
.....")

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #40
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Let me explain why walkie-talkies continue to prove to be a complete waste of money.

95% of the time, Airhed #2 doesn't push the button on the walkie-talkie hard enough to transmit ... so this means Airhed #1 can't hear Airhed #2 on the walkie-talkie until she's literally jumping up and down, running back and forth between the two mirrors, and waiving her arms, screaming, "STOP! STOP! STOP!" at the top of her lungs ...

Other times, when Airhed #2 does actually depress the transmit button on the walkie-talkie hard enough to transmit, she forgets to let go of the button so that Airheds 1 & 2 can actually share meaningful, two-way, simplex communications. Instead, Airhed #1 listens to Airhed #2's untiring commentary, "*&^%% ... he's gonna $%^&'ing hit it ... he's gonna $%^&'ing hit it ... he's gonna ... (insert convulsive flailing and running from side to side) STOP! STOP! STOP!"

Then there's the difference in risk management strategies ... Airhed #2 is totally fine with 1" of obstacle clearance at the apex of the turn. Meanwhile, Airhed #1 is nearing convulsive fits trying to get Airhed #2 to stop because "you're going to hit it" when Airhed #1 is really a whole foot away and in no risk of hitting anything at all. "(insert convulsive flailing and running from side to side) STOP! STOP! STOP!"

I tell you ... it's a show!
Save