Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
After several days of living through a Volcanic Episode of lower valley heat and no wind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
... you have to be out of you honking mind to find yourself at Lake Mead in June...
So, it begs the question, Ray -- why were you there and why did it take several days before you left? Your time is your own, is it not?

I've lived most of my life in Florida and am currently living my LAST summer here. Yesterday it was almost 100 degrees (admittedly, higher than normal) with the normal skyhigh humidity. Once we get our AS, early next year we're getting the hell out of here and heading west. Then the goal will be 50-80 as you and others have mentioned. No way would I plan to be anywhere in the vicinity of AZ, NM, UT, or NV after mid-May at the very latest.

I cannot wait to leave Florida and I don't intend to ever come back in the summer!
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Jimmy Buffett says that some of his songs are true and some of them are not. I get the impression that applies to Ray's tales. 😜

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Your readers are anxious for more Ray!

Seriously, great writing and a wonderful story!
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Oh man. This reminds me of a summer time road trip through that area, tent camping after college. We decided to cool down after sleeping on concrete (for a tent site, why?!). Went down to the lake only to find ourselves sinking into mud and unable to get to actual water. I agree I'm never doing that area in the summer again, even with the trailer!
lifeincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Jimmy Buffet camps at a Parrot Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Jimmy Buffett says that some of his songs are true and some of them are not. I get the impression that applies to Ray's tales. ��
The two of us spent too much time working the Military Paper Shuffle! Not everyone understands that. But we do. Spent several months as a Morning Reports Clerk and promoted myself in the process. Creativity at best.

Two years should be a minimum requirement for all US Citizens to build confidence and sense of Duty to Country in the military. My time in the Army made me independent and capable of spinning a yarn by adding some adjectives and humor painting a mental picture we all can connect with.

Everything is true as much as the facts can support my statements...

Posted by: FreshAirStmr
So, it begs the question, Ray -- _why_ were you there and _why_ did it take several days before you left? Your time is your own, is it not?
Well... this would be a story in itself. There is more going on concerning this "adventure" than the hot weather and being camped at a Lake Meade "lobster pot" Jimmy Buffet gathering.

Driving about 100 miles north of the Las Vegas Valley there is a distinct and dramatic "climate change" as one example. Another is the ski resort to the west of Las Vegas... It is much cooler and dryer once you are above 5,000 feet elevation. Same with much of New Mexico, Utah and Arizona at elevation.

We live 40 miles south of Denver and our temperature/humidity is cooler and drier. Denver at 5200 feet and we are at 6500 feet elevation. Everyone watches Phoenix weather reports and thinks the entire state is HOT and go to Glacier Park in Montana to cool off. Not necessary.

Not so. Same with Las Vegas, NV, Moab, UT and Sedona, AZ. The secret is knowing WHERE to go when the weather turns hot. You can go to the La Sal Mountains and breath cooler air not far away from the sweltering heat of Moab, UT. From Sedona, AZ you will find the area around Flagstaff, AZ refreshing. Lake Meade and Las Vegas, NV you can go to Boulder City, NV just 500 feet higher and notice a difference.

Just because there are not green lush prairies, does not mean it is HOT and sterile. It is ARID. Add water and you would have farms like those scattered in the cooler, higher irrigated valleys of eastern Utah.

Check out Phoenix... add Colorado River water and there is this huge building boom. Same with Tucson, AZ.

"Take a Geologist and add a Hydrologist and you can build an empire from the desert." A quote I just made up.

If it were not for Air Conditioning and swamp coolers, the USA would find an immediate population shift. Lucky for we Airstream owners, or SOB with wheels, we can move with the Seasons at will. Eventually some of us find a sweet spot. This year it will be Quemado, NM in July... in New Mexico... in the Forest and at 7600 feet, that everyone will find comfortable sleeping weather. Maybe a bit chilly by morning!

Sometimes, like Death Valley, CA which is neither comfortable in the Winter nor the Summer during the day, find people like us visiting. Not because of the unpleasant climate, but because... it is there. The NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon is an absolutely wonderful Summer location for great weather, but... not as accessible. But some of us, Crazy Jug Point as an example... know the secret places that the average tourist fear to attempt.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Am waiting for the frying egg on sidewalk photo.

Visual cliches aside, A/C revolutionized various aspects of our existence.....
Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It was on the news today- Heat Warning Advisory- stay indoors in that whole region.

Like the video Fly at Night. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
SLEEPING at 111F at Lake Meade, Nevada

Parked in Las Cruces NM in full sun, 102 yesterday, reflective bubble wrap insulation in windows, wood paneling on walls, the trailer stayed comfortable enough for a nice Sunday nap while being cooled by the stock 72 Armstrong... (My other half used a blanket, I didn't,, )

I am not cooling the bath room at all though... It is a sauna....

At about 10:00 AM the A/C stops cycling, and then it runs constantly till about 9:00 PM with the thermostat set on 74....

I thinks my wooden walls help a lot.

Supposed to be 106 today.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Why are you at Lake Mead during the summer? I was in Zion NP last week and it started to hit 97. Luckily I was at Watchman with an electric site. After the sun set it cooled down enough and with the low humidity I could turn the AC off and sleep with the windows open. Your story sounds like torture.

Kelvin
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
No wonder so many Americans come up here in the summer. I'm still needing to keep my arctic sleeping bag handy. I went to sleep in a puddle of sweat last Thursday and sought out the bag by 04:00 Friday. Ran the furnace Friday night.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
No wonder so many Americans come up here in the summer. I'm still needing to keep my arctic sleeping bag handy. I went to sleep in a puddle of sweat last Thursday and sought out the bag by 04:00 Friday. Ran the furnace Friday night.
That's why most of us up here in the west stay west

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote