Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Looking for place for a long weekend in Mid Feb. within 3 to 4 hours from Metro Atlanta. Would rather go south than North for a little warmer weather.
Anyone ever been to Skidaway Island State Park?
Looks nice online and good reviews.
Great spot. Stayed there several Decembers ago. Close to historic area of Savannah as well.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Georgia State Parks are generally excellent for camping. We especially like Black Rock Mountain SP which is not on a beach but a lovely mountain-top location.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I love Skidaway Island S.P. - we've stayed there four times. Another of our favourites is Crooked River S.P. at the Georgia-Florida border. It's an easy day drive south or north to Amelia Island or Brunswick (Jekyll Island).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wildwood , Missouri
We went to Skidaway

Quote:
Looking for place for a long weekend in Mid Feb. within 3 to 4 hours from Metro Atlanta. Would rather go south than North for a little warmer weather.
We’ve been there and really enjoyed it. We did have a mishap when construction truck took out some electricity by accident but the park accommodated us and moved us to another site. If I was suggesting a favorite though I would check out Mistletoe State park. Wonderful. Appling, GA near Augusta.
Elkhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you are having trouble finding what you would most prefer, I recommend taking whatever you can find near where you want to be and making the best of it.

If you need to get out and go, anything will be better than nothing.

IMHO, and spoken as a traveler/wanderer who likes as few reservations as possible.

That said, premium campgrounds...like Edisto...in high season require reservations well in advance.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you want warmer weather then head due south rather than southeast to the coast. Reed Bingham State Park is just north of Valdosta off I-75, is not as well known as other camping spots, and quite nice. There were 6 openings this weekend as of this morning. The lake is quite large with a few miles of creeks if you are into paddling.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #27
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you want warmer weather then head due south rather than southeast to the coast. Reed Bingham State Park is just north of Valdosta off I-75 and is an unknown gem given few campers seem to be there whenever we go. There were 6 open spots for the weekend still available as of this morning. It has a large lake with miles of creek if you are into paddling and wildlife observation.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:23 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
My parents are buried nearby, so I go to Skidaway each year. Great place to be. Close to Savannah and grocery-restuarant-fuel-etc. Just a higher rate than most GA state parks. Don't forget a discount if you are a senior citizen. You pay full price up front and they issue a refund for your discount.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
I have spent time at Ft. McAlaster twice and would again. It was not crowded either time and is convenient to much of the Georgia coastal and historical features. Hunting Island in SC is also nice, but likely to be full.
Hi

They just rebuilt most (if not all) of the campsites at Ft McAlaster in the last couple years. The sites were ok before and very nice now.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
Quote:
We’ve camped there. Very nice park. And convenient access to Savannah. Crooked River in Georgia is also really nice. I don’t know the distance from Atlanta but Huntington and Edisto are two fantastic beach campgrounds in South Carolina.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Denver , North Carolina
Just stayed a week at Creekfire RV Ranch in Savannah and liked it. I prefer the state parks but they book up really far in advance. Skidaway is awesome if you can get a reservation
Sdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:29 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
We stayed at Skidaway and explored Savannah. It is a great park with spacious sites and good separation. We stayed in a pull-through.
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1974 24' Argosy 24
Anaheim , California
Smile George L smith park might be a good alternative

I stayed at Skidaway last month and it was lovely, but was considering going inland a little to George L Smith park which is on a lovely lake. There are water sports, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, and beauty if you want to just get away and relax.

I don’t think it’s one of the more highly trafficked parks, so they may still have room. Good Luck! It was warm in Savannah even in the middle of January!
lost.again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Danés Ferry State park, GA

Anyone know if Dames Ferry State Park in GA is still open? Last review was a year ago.

Is it tough to get a reservation and how about the roads in/out and ease of getting in/out of sites there? Does it flood often?

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote