Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Not important , New Jersey
Restoration of a 58 caravaner INTERIOR ARRANGEMENTS HELP

What a project so far, I started on another username it froze. Ripped out the floor getting ready to put a new one in. my question is if I rearrange my floor plan utelizing most of the original interior is it going to throw off the value????
Bathroom was too small kitchen was too small bed was too small.
Oh_this_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
The only time I think the original layout is critical is if your restoring a unit with historical significance. Such as Goranson's 55 cruiser

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...er-162191.html

or 66 Overlander's around the world unit

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...8-a-82018.html

I'm staying with the original layout, using the original interior, but updating the bath and changing out the gaucho for a built-in dinette.

I can think of three issues (probably minor).
1. If you use the original interior outer walls, you'll have a lot of rivet/screw holes that are now visible due to layout changes.
2. Interior plywood walls were cut to fit the profile of the outer wall area they were attached to. You may have to re-profile the adjoining edge to fit.
3. Updating mechanical systems, some of the cabinets may have to be modified to accept the new units.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Not important , New Jersey
I am at bare she'll right now luckily. I want the kitchen in the nose. Gaucho in the rear. Then leave the fridge passenger side after the door. Does you have an actual flume for your fridge?
I figured I would have to rework all the systems I don't know if I am up for it so I may just put it back simliar to how it was. My bathroom shower was a crazy set up in the corner so that's going to change. I need three days and three friends I can get 50 percent done
Oh_this_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I left the roof frig vent in place, but closed off the louvered vent half way down. I also left the access door in place, but it won't match up to anything on the frig. The floor vent was deleted. I converted the original frig (Kreft) to electric only with a conversion unit from indel. It runs on 12 volts. I gave the original propane/110v assembly to another airforums member. It still worked.

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...ation-systems/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Changes to rear of frig.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	310215 Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig cab.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	310216

I am installing a fairly large solar system to help run the frig in transit. I'm not a fan of using propane while on the road, which seems to be quite common.

The danfoss compressor will sit above the frig in the upper storage and vent directly to the roof vent. The solar inverter/charger will be next to it and also vent through the frig roof vent. The original vent area below the frig is left in place and will allow air to flow up behind the frig into the upper storage area.

The original roof vent was quite wide open and tall. I screened it on the outside and inside and lowered the cap so the opening is not quite as welcoming to rain while on the road.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
If you want a restoration to resell than original is best, or so I was told by appraiser Jim Polk at AS Vintage restoration rally, years ago. However, what I cared about was traveling and camping, often solo, with my 130lb Borzoi, in as much comfort and ease as possible. Since I bought my 62 GT gutted, but furniture inside, I jumped at the chance to reconfigure that tiny interior to my needs. Out went the large rear bath that took up too much real estate. Out went the heavy oven, which I only used for storage in my Landyacht. Out went the ridiculous, uncomfortable goucho, in the front, which had to be folded up each time you opened the door. And in went a comfy Queen size memory foam in the rear. In went a wet bath with telescoping walls & composting toilet. In went a new and slightly bigger Dometic ref. and 2 burner cooktop. Now this 19' has more elbow room than my 21'. And I adore it.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_this_guy View Post

Bathroom was too small kitchen was too small bed was too small.

That's all the rooms. Sounds like you just need a bigger Airstream. [emoji6]
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote