Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Through Nevada on 1-93 & Highway 318 - Recommendations?

Looking for recommendations for overnight locations, restaurants and can't miss sights heading north on I-93 and Highway 318 through Nevada in June. Thank you!
earlyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've spent a lot of my life in Nevada, and I’ll have to admit, I had to look that one up. Bring a good book on tape, and try not to fall asleep.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Oh my. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We run 93 up into Idaho off I80. Can't say we have ever stopped for much except fuel. We kind of like the drive as it is a break from Interstate travel.

When we passed through Ely on 50, we stayed at the KOA there and shared it with a couple of other ASs. Nice folks. Good overnight stop. And we enjoyed 50 to that point, much more that the trip over to Colorado where it gets fun again. But that does not help you much with your trip plan. Interested to hear how it goes for you.

If you roll to or from Las Vegas, the KOA at Sam's Town was a surprise. It is a gravel parking lot, but a nice one. The side story is that our stay over night was the first night we have spent in Las Vegas. Always punted on the rule to stay multiple nights and kept on traveling. So other places may be better, but we would stay there again.

Enjoy your adventure. Seeing Nevada from a different direction is advised. Fuel up when the opportunity presents itself. Pack your water and enjoy the trip. Looks like there are a couple of rest areas along the route. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If you have time for extra "adventure" I would suggest you check out Great Basin National Park (nice camping there) It is off of Hwy 50 and not too far from Ely, Nevada.

I agree with other posters, be sure and have plenty of fuel, water, and supplies. Not much in the way of accommodations along the route.

Looking at one of my camping apps I see along 318 is a BLM campground called Pahroc Wash. It is free but says max RV length is 18 ft and it is at 4655 feet in elevation. Dispersed camping. There is a truck stop in Alamo, and just south of that is the Pahranagat National Wildlife Refuge where there is free camping according to my app.

Are you heading to Las Vegas or Lake Mead area?

Have a safe trip!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #6

2017 16' Sport
Las vegas , Nevada
Horse thief gulch SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyescape View Post
Looking for recommendations for overnight locations, restaurants and can't miss sights heading north on I-93 and Highway 318 through Nevada in June. Thank you!
2 really nice state park campgrounds about 3 hr drive North of Vegas on route 93 are Cathedral Gorge and Horse thief gulch. Both are near the little town of Pioche, Nv. Cathedral Gorge is full hookup. Beautiful scenery and hiking. Horse thief is 18 miles East of Pioche. First come first serve. Just has water. Maybe busy on the weekends. Not sure about temps in June. The town of Alamo has a good store and gas station with plenty of parking for trailers.
Mahon915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you for the ideas. I appreciate them!
We will be traveling from PHX to Bend for the Vintage Airstream Club events and then on to our first WBCCI International. Thank you! AB