Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Rest Stops

We're heading for a short trip (10 days) from central CA to the Oregon coast next week. All looks good, but I'm wondering about the rest stops. We're traveling with 3 dogs, and--um, older body parts--and I'm wondering about the stopping intervals. How do you tell when you have a good exit off the freeway for a little reprieve?
One does need one's walkies.
We have the book "Next Exit" but once I get past the title (too close to "Final Exit" which is great by the way...) it just doesn't have the "how can you tell it's not the exit from hell" info that I need.
We're going up on 101, back on 5.
As usual, all suggestions appreciated.
Yours in clutterland,
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Isn't that just part of the excitement?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
True story

While headed home from Casini, Neil and I were travelling together.On the trip to Casini I led, returning he was in the lead.He pulled over on the side of the freeway, Lynn needed the rest room so she used their trailer, Me being the dog I am used the bushes. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When on the Interstates, we usually use the rest stops. They are designed for the semi trucks and can always accommodate our rig. Being that we have our own bathroom following along in Lucy, it doesn't matter if the rest stop has facilities or not. As far as regular exits are concerned, if you pick one that has a truck stop, you are assured of ample space. We just get off whereever we please and can always find a spot to pull over safely. The possible exception are the exits in a big city.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Rest Stops

Hi, any blue sign that warns you that a rest stop is ahead is a good one. Some of the smaller rest stops may be full of big rigs leaving no room for you to stop, but rare. Also, here in California there aren't very many rest stops; I think they want us to stop at gas stations and restaurants. You'll love Oregon, they have rest stops everywhere.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
While headed home from Casini, Neil and I were travelling together.On the trip to Casini I led, returning he was in the lead.He pulled over on the side of the freeway, Lynn needed the rest room so she used their trailer, Me being the dog I am used the bushes. DG
Now this is "The Rest(stop) of The Story". As DG recounted I was leadng. I did not do a good job of it as I missed the 'short-cut' turn off and became concerned. So I pulled the the side of an off-ramp next to some shrubs to clarify with DG the next option turn-off. Lynn ooooohed, "I need a restroom!" So I said we happened to be towing one. So as I helped Lynn into the trailer DG 'did his thing' but irrespective of his sometimes modification to his user name (D little o G) he did not aim for the hubcaps. The 2 rigs provided much privacy and the shrubs were handy. As I have stated many times in my life, "I sure am glad I was born a guy." By the way the off ramp I had pulled over on was the correct one. Otherwise I may be still leading DG around California.
Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I have been using "The Next Exit" book for years and have never had a problem. My rule of thumb, tho, is I always choose an exit where the facilities are near the hiway interchange.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
I Love Rest Areas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rest Area 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	679.0 KB
ID:	37853  
clintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
One of the great things about traveling with an AS is that you always have facilities with you - not to mention lunch and or a snack! Any blue sign is usally good for us, or a truck stop usually has large parking areas. Avoid stopping in town, except for Walmart parking lots if you can.
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
...(too close to "Final Exit" which is great by the way...) it just doesn't have the "how can you tell it's not the exit from hell" info that I need.
Oh yeah...have you read "Wrong Turn" yet or seen the movie? That book totally redefines the "exit from hell".

Old 06-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Following up.

Well, once again all that fretting for nothing...But I admit, after getting the above reassurance and suggestions, we knew we'd be just fine. We did use the "Next Exit" quite a bit, and coupled with maps and our Nav. system we couldn't go wrong if we'd tried! We went out to the coast from the Bay Area on 101, hitting 1 at the Oregon boarder. There just aren't too many exits on the main highways that aren't user-friendly, and I didn't realize how obvious that would be.
We mostly used the rest stops, where we usually had a snack or meal, and strolled the dogs around. They were so convenient we often stopped just to check out the scenery. Oregon rest stops are like lovely little parks and the rhododendrons were in bloom everywhere.
We did have a "Clintnesque" experience when trucks surrounded us while we were eating in the trailer in logging country; when we opened the door we were face to face with a giant tire and that cartoon immediately came to mind!
Once we headed south on 5 in CA we noticed lots of RV and truck friendly areas all along the way, including those big commercial stops.
It was a great trip with no mishaps, so we're finally starting to feel a little less like newbies.
Thanks for the help!
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Funny thing first time out

My wife and I had a funny on our maiden voyage a little over a month ago. As I pulled into the truck stop to get diesel, I asked my better half who was going inside first to use the facilities. Of course her reply was, aren't we towing one?

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Janetb: and the farther you go NORTH to Washington....the more park like the reststops get. There are restops in Washington so big and grassy..with trees and and...You could hold a softball turnament in them.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a little warning..
Back about 3 or 4 yrs ago when I was at JC, I saw an A/S sitting in the back lot waiting MAJOR body repairs..It seems that the owner and family had stopped at this rest area for lunch. While sitting at the lunch table, they witness a semi coming into th rest area at a fast(?) rate of speed and, he tilted and sideswipped the A/S~!!
MAJOR DAMAGES to the tune of 30k minmuim..
I always park away from any entrances ramp since then~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud
Just a little warning..
Back about 3 or 4 yrs ago when I was at JC, I saw an A/S sitting in the back lot waiting MAJOR body repairs..It seems that the owner and family had stopped at this rest area for lunch. While sitting at the lunch table, they witness a semi coming into th rest area at a fast(?) rate of speed and, he tilted and sideswipped the A/S~!!
MAJOR DAMAGES to the tune of 30k minmuim..
I always park away from any entrances ramp since then~!
Wow, good advice. And it was a good thing they were eating their lunch at a picnic table instead of inside their camper.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Wow, good advice. And it was a good thing they were eating their lunch at a picnic table instead of inside their camper.
Yes, you are so right..I am sure they felt the same way.
The entire side of it was crushed inward..
Tough break but, still a blessing in that noone was hurt~!
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
When on the Interstates, we usually use the rest stops. They are designed for the semi trucks and can always accommodate our rig. Being that we have our own bathroom following along in Lucy, it doesn't matter if the rest stop has facilities or not. As far as regular exits are concerned, if you pick one that has a truck stop, you are assured of ample space. We just get off whereever we please and can always find a spot to pull over safely. The possible exception are the exits in a big city.
We rely on the "Next Exit" book to find safe places to camp while enroute to our destination. We have never had a problem at truck stops. Most truck stops have started to realize that attracting the RV market is good for their bottom line. Many provide separate RV-camping areas (away from idling semi's) and dump stations and fresh water.