Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
The road was so bumpy...

Captain Brian and I were heading up to Northern Algonquin Park and we got on the 40 kilometer dirt/gravel road to Achray Campground. It was really a washboard and we met the grader on the way in. As we gyrated down the bumpy road, our voices raised and vibrating, barely heard over the road noise, I imagined the activity inside the trailer. When we got to our site and went inside the trailer, there were the customary cushions on the floor and a couple of screws. However, on the floor, just past the fridge was a chrome cylinder of sorts and I couldn't imagine where it could have come from. When I opened the bathroom door, there beside the sink lay one of the taps and the cylinder on the floor was part of the other tap. They had unscrewed themselves right off!
Has anyone else had this happen??
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Yowza! That's a lot of moving and shaking! How on earth did you manage to get it all back together?
Sadly, our comparable road would be CA 880 through the East Bay Area. On our last leg home from a trip to Oregon, we had our carefully nestled bistro wine glasses shattered into smithereens (plastic is suddenly no longer gauche), the requisite cushions-on-the-floor, all drawers out, and bathroom light lenses in the sink. On another "early-ownership" trip I sacrificed a ceramic salad bowl to the road gods, stowing it in a very foolish down-low, up-front spot. One good pot-hole whack and it was material for pique asiette.
I would love to learn from others' mishaps from road roughness. Any stories out there?
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
From Johnny Carson and the Tonite Show:

How Bumpy Was iT???

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes, partly so. I had one come loose. Don't have the Safari at home so I can't go in for a reminder to tell you more. I almost recall a retaining ring came unscrewed from the underside...

At the time I went to the manufacturer's website and found a .pdf parts diagram and nothing was broken.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Yowza! That's a lot of moving and shaking! How on earth did you manage to get it all back together?
Sadly, our comparable road would be CA 880 through the East Bay Area. On our last leg home from a trip to Oregon, we had our carefully nestled bistro wine glasses shattered into smithereens (plastic is suddenly no longer gauche), the requisite cushions-on-the-floor, all drawers out, and bathroom light lenses in the sink. On another "early-ownership" trip I sacrificed a ceramic salad bowl to the road gods, stowing it in a very foolish down-low, up-front spot. One good pot-hole whack and it was material for pique asiette.
I would love to learn from others' mishaps from road roughness. Any stories out there?
Hi Janet,
On our recent trip, after setting up and wanting a glass of water, I reached above the sink to get one of our rubbermaid brand plastic 16oz glasses..touted as 'non' breakable, it lived up to its name..but it had a huge crack in it, no doubt from the bumpy roads we encountered going up some of the bumpy roads. We still have plastic wine glasses that we got from the West Marine store, think they're made of Lexan or lucite as well as some wine glasses from Granzella's in Williams..they're pretty sturdy. We keep them down under the dinette gauchos resting on cushioned towels..so far they're doing ok..the ones from West Marine are not the most astheticicalyy pleasing to look at, though, very thick stems and bottoms..but they are sturdy and they don't get knocked over easy at the dining table.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
The roads in Quebec going up to Mont Tremblant aren't pretty - so while the taps from the sink didn't come undone, my beautiful blender busted out from a cupboard (where it was presumably very secure behind many other items) and broke in a million pieces.

I had a moment of silence for the passing of an old friend - that blender saw me through countless pina coladas (sniff).

Maybe now I have a solid excuse to get that Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker...
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Wow!..at least you did have the cupboard securely locked!..we've lost a tv, because I failed to lock the door one time, it rolled out on its face..not good..the end of that little 13" portable..

And that's a good excuse for you to get Jimmy's Frozen concoction maker!..

btw, the roads in Alberta and BC were a lot better maintained CA's
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Want to SEE a bumpy ride? Last night I watched a 1950's movie titled The Long, Long Trailer, starring Lucille Ball, Dezi Arnaz and a 1953 New Moon trailer. Some of it is shot around/in Yosemite National Park...a little dated perhaps, but a fun ride overall!
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Always - always - always remember to lock the refrigerator door before departing. I learned that on our fist long trip through Texas.

Highway something-or-rather, going around 11 mile reservior in Colorado is at lest 5 miles of pure washboard fun, I havent ventured farther down it.
Its the kind of road that at 5 MPH you can look through the passenger door window in the truck, through the curbside window in the trailer and see your Cocoa Pebbles falling out of the upper shelf onto the galley.
I spent a week overhauling the Coleman furnace unit after that trip.
On the good side, It knocked all of the rust and dust out of the heat exchanger in the furnace, and all of the scale out of the espresso maker.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a absolutely beautiful area in northern NM that has been only open for a couple of years called Valle Didal. There is a road from the east about 25 miles and a road to the west about 25 miles, dirt and gravel. Before I went in I was told one side was worse than the other but "not too bad" I planned to travel in the east side stay a few days and out the west. The washboard was real bad forcing me to slow down to walking speed for much of the drive in. I was reassured by the belief this had to be the bad side. It wasn't.

Another section of washboard shook loose sections of my parquet floor. The worst risk, however, is doing some serious damage to the running gear and frame.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it sounds like i should order a plow for the new truck when i order it!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
Ricky, The Alaska Highway from Whitehorse to Tok will get your attention. We saw numerous broken axles, even a fifth wheel driven through the bed of a Ford 250. For three days we drove, top in, 35mph. The little Bambi did great... Drive carefully enough and an Airstream will go anywhere. Coot
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Islip , New York
I have been trying to locate the mvie Long Long Trailer with Lucy Ball. Do you know were I can purchase a copy of it. Rob
katsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
There are copies of The Long, Long Trailer on both Half.com and eBay. They start around $6, I believe.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
Ricky, The Alaska Highway from Whitehorse to Tok will get your attention. We saw numerous broken axles, even a fifth wheel driven through the bed of a Ford 250. For three days we drove, top in, 35mph. The little Bambi did great... Drive carefully enough and an Airstream will go anywhere. Coot
i'll start with the warm states first, not like these guys!
About the Ice Road Truckers series
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I don't imagine that many on this forum would know much about the Achray road in Algonquin and the area it opens up - it is rough - no question about that - but if it were improved I don't think the area would have the same value as an isolate, backcountry destination that it has maintained for many, many decades.

We last visited in the spring a couple of years ago - kind of a nostalgia trip that had its origins some 30 + years ago. What a great trip - we left the trailer in Pembroke before entering the Park and we were very glad we did - despite all the Wally Byam exploration hype this is definitely not Airstream country.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
That's nothing.

From where I'm from, the roads are so bumpy they make your radio skip!

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote