Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the Road Again

Trailer hooked up and ready too pull out o-early-thirty in the morning.
First stop is Lodi, CA. for a visit with Doorgunner, then Yucca Valley Ca. for a week too vist friends.
Then Prescott, AZ. for week with a friend.
Then off too Weatherford, TX. for new entry door, new awnings, repair/replace heater and AC, and a long list of problems.
Then Austin, TX. for the winter.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sounds like a plan. Safe travels. Keep us posted, with pictures, of course.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have a great trip and stay safe...(thinking of hitting Prescott ourselves soon...let us konw how it was)...

Take pics and keep us all posted on your carryings-on!

Above all, travel safe...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I think Lodi will be a wee bit safer place to be with 2 Marines in house. Tell Tim Hi from FreshAir.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
It's been almost a year since you checked out our trailer-in-progress at JC, and we're still convinced that you're one of the reasons we have such a trouble-free rig. Plus we really took to heart the advice you gave from your too many experiences with glitches, and our dealer was given a nice long list that he took very seriously.
Best of luck and happy travels,
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
_

. , .
hey gunny

where in austin r u wintering?

we are almost gonna cross paths in weatherford, just not quite.

but i'm also looking for a 2-3 week spot near austin or in hill country for early next year...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

Spent the 16th & 17th with Doorgunner, boy he's got a neat place. Thanks Tim.
Arrived Yucca Valley at 1722 (5:22).
2Air, I will leave Yucca Valley 26th and head for Prescott. I will be there for two days and then head for Weatherford. When will you be there?
I winter in an industrial park in NE Austin. The dogs guard it and I get full hook-up for $50.00. The neatest park in Austin is Pecan Grove RV Park. Very old with big tree's and lots of old Airstreams and right down town.
Send me your dates and I can check with my land lord. It would be full hook-up on gravel site.

Gunny
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

Departed Yucca Vally, CA. at 7 AM and arrived in Prescott, AZ 4 PM.
I stopped in Wenden, AZ. for lunch and a AZ State Trooper walk in and he looked like someone I knew back in the 80's. So I walked over and ask his name and sure enough he was who I thought. We had a long talk since we had not talked in 20 years. It's a small world. I almost didn't take this route and he doesn't work that area anymore and was just passing thru and was meeting a friend for lunch. I also passed the cafe and then turned around and went back as I saw that there was good RV parking.
Will be here for two days too visit with Rich and then onto Weatherford. Might even make the Lake Ray Roberts Xmas party with Heart of Texas Camping Club. Thats a maybe 2air, but will be in Weatherford before you leave!! Will call David in the morning too see if he has room for us both, if not will stay just down I-20 from you and visit in the day time.

Gunny
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

Arrived at Ray Roberts last thur. great camp out.
Came back too Weatherford for repairs.
Same old story Airstream don't want too warrenty this LEMON (her new name complete with signs). So more money out of my pocket unless David wins the fight. Good Luck David.
David fixed my door with some adjustments and added a new range hood. That leaves AC, Heater, Sony DVD player, Awnings, Pantry wall, Rock guard, & shower door lock.
Hope too leave for Austin by the end of next week.

Don
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Don,

Have a good trip. I, too, am curious where you plan to stay in Austin. I lived outside Austin in Hays County for about 10 years. Great area! There was a nice little park near Barton Springs, but it was mostly used by permanent residents and hard to get into. The location was excellent, though. You might want to contact Jaxon. He is based in Austin.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

I stay in an industrial park in northeast Austin.
The park is Barton Springs and I was raised on the hill above the spring too the south.

Don
Old 12-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

Today was a good day as David got Airstream too pay for him too reshape the wall.
He also got a go from Dometic too fix AC & Heater.
The bathroom fan was replaced.
While the wall was out I replaced the heater hose too the bathroom with PVC and now I get some air too the bathroom.
This only leaves the Awnings and rock guard which I will pay for.
The Sony DVD player will not malfunction so can't warrenty what ain't broke.
With some luck I may get on the road by weekend.

Don
Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hey Don!
Reshape the wall?

Michael

PS, I'm just south in Round Top, TX
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
There was a nice little park near Barton Springs, but it was mostly used by permanent residents and hard to get into. The location was excellent, though. You might want to contact Jaxon. He is based in Austin.
Gonna get a whole lot tougher to stay there, too. Word on the street is that Shady Grove will give up it's ghost to (yet another) luxury condo project slated to break ground in March of next year.

Pretty soon, the only travel trailers you'll see anywhere near there will be the Globetrotter on site being used as a prop, and the Spartan Mansion being used as an outdoor bathroom at Shady Grove Hamburgers.

Nothing sacred anymore.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Gonna get a whole lot tougher to stay there, too. Word on the street is that Shady Grove will give up it's ghost to (yet another) luxury condo project slated to break ground in March of next year.

Pretty soon, the only travel trailers you'll see anywhere near there will be the Globetrotter on site being used as a prop, and the Spartan Mansion being used as an outdoor bathroom at Shady Grove Hamburgers.

Nothing sacred anymore.
That’s it, all right. A friend’s son got in and lived there for some time. I also bought a ’57 Fairlane 500 (What if Batman had a family?) from a resident. My friend was my neighbor. Last year I located a Bambi for her, but we haven’t had the chance to visit. She hasn’t seen the 34’ Excella, either.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
On the road again

In Mar, while at Pecan Grove the manager said it was the other RV park that was going down, not Pecan Grove.

Gunny
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
In Mar, while at Pecan Grove the manager said it was the other RV park that was going down, not Pecan Grove.

Gunny
Hi Gunny,

Here's the most recent article I've been able to locate regarding the subject - dated November 10...

Condo project near Zilker Park planned
11.12.07 - ULU
74-unit condo project expected to break ground next year.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Former Schlotzsky's Inc. chief executive John Wooley revealed plans Friday for a 74-unit luxury condominium project he plans to build by Zilker Park and Lady Bird Lake, an area of town he thinks is headed toward a transformation.
Wooley plans to break ground in late spring or early summer on Zilker Place, which will be built on about 2 acres on the northwest side of Barton Springs Road and Sterzing Street. The site, on Zilker Park's eastern edge, is adjacent to parkland that abuts the hike-and-bike trail.
Wooley said he has the adjacent Wanfu Too restaurant site under contract, and he plans to acquire additional land nearby for a future second phase of Zilker Place.
Designed by veteran Austin architect Sinclair Black, Zilker Place will have three five-story buildings encircling a pool and central courtyard. Prices for the condos, many with views of Zilker Park, will range from the low $300,000s to more than $1.3 million. Units will range from 900 square feet to 3,030 square feet and will include large screened porches.
Wooley has received city approval to use part of the Zilker parkland as a staging area for the construction.
In exchange, Wooley said he will contribute more than $300,000 to the city to repair erosion on a nearby section of the hike-and-bike trail, fix a drainage problem on Toomey Road and plant trees on the adjacent parkland and elsewhere.
The contribution is in addition to a parkland fee the city requires developers to pay, which amounts to about $48,000 for his project, Wooley said.
In addition to the trail improvements, the new homeowners association will pay for ongoing maintenance of about 2½ acres of adjacent parkland at Zilker's east entrance.
The development team includes Wooley's brother, Jeff, and Sands Harris, an architect who worked on the master-plan, design and construction of the Victory development in Dallas, which includes a W hotel with high-end condos.
The Zilker Place condo project is the first major business venture for the Wooleys since their June 2004 ouster from the Schlotzsky's sandwich chain they ran for more than two decades. John Wooley said he, his wife and their soon-to-be 3-year-old daughter, Carey Beth, will live in a fifth-floor unit.
Wooley said virtually everyone on the development and design teams is from Austin or has a strong local connection, including the landscape architect, Eleanor McKinney, who was on Austin's Parks Board for 10 years.
The project has the support of the Zilker Neighborhood Association, said Jeff Jack, president of the 200-member group, which Wooley worked with during the planning process.
Jack credited Wooley for designing a project that required no variances and meets city rules for height, density and setback limits from Lady Bird Lake. Existing zoning caps the height at 60 feet on the site.
"I might have liked to have built a taller building," Wooley conceded, "but that is Zilker Park. I think we ended up with an appropriate balance." Wooley originally planned to seek a zoning change to build up to 120 feet.
Citing Bridges on the Park, another condo project on South Lamar Boulevard near Riverside Drive that also adhered to a 60-foot height cap, Jack said: "Obviously if these developers can do their projects and make money within the existing code, it tells the City Council that people that come later begging for extra entitlements are asking for too much. The bottom line is that economic development profit should not drive zoning."
Crow Finance and Realty LLC, a Dallas-based commercial mortgage brokerage company, will arrange financing for the project. King Crow, the company's president, said financing won't be a problem.
"Any lender that understands the Austin market will understand the desirability of this location," Crow said.
Wooley's project is the closest to Zilker Park among the scores being built or planned in and around downtown. The next closest is Barton Place, a 250-unit luxury condo project that is expected to break ground in March, replacing the Shady Grove RV Park.
Wooley said changes may be in store for what he said are many underused properties in the roughly 25-acre area east of his site bounded by Barton Springs Road, Toomey Road and South Lamar Boulevard. Property owners expect their tax appraisals to rise dramatically, based on recent sales, and that is pressuring owners to find a more profitable use for the land, Wooley said.
Wooley hopes that, rather than piecemeal development by individual property owners, a cohesive master-plan will emerge for the area that could transform it into a "unique urban neighborhood right there on the edge of the park."
But it remains to be seen, he said, if a plan can be worked out that balances the needs of developers, the neighborhoods, the city and property owners, who were unable to come up with a coordinated master-plan among themselves, Wooley said.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote