Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #1

1979 30'
Euclid , Ohio
On The Road Again?

Greetings All:

As a new member, I would like to tell you a little about myself. I have been an Airstream Argosy owner since 1975. My wife & I traveled from Cleveland, Ohio to Los Angeles, CA in 1977 in a 26 footer for our honeymoon. We took an entire month (which included a flight to Hawaii for nine days). My wife has been sold on the whole camping idea ever since. (She loved Hawaii also, but too expensive).

After starting a family, we needed something bigger, so we purchased a 1979 Argosy 30' brand new. We really wanted an Airstream, but they were just out of our price range at the time. This is the trailer we presently own and camped with our four daughters during their formative years. At one time, we had two cribs set up in the trailer, as two of our daughters were only a year apart in age. Lots of folks wonder how we did it with the youngsters, but all I remember is how my wife & I worked as a team and had tons of fun at the same time. The girls are all adults now, and have lots of fond memories of traveling and camping mostly in the eastern US.

Our dilemma now (perhaps challenge) is to bring our 1979 Argosy back into 'like new' condition. It hasn't been used for about six years now, and is in need of some TLC. I would like to have it repainted to match our tow vehicle ( a silver 2005 Nissan Armada). To avoid appearing like an Airstream wannabe, I thought of adding some sort of side pin striping or something. Except for the painting, my wife & I will do most of the renovating ourselves. We will need new items such as a hot water tank, furnace, and possibly futon/couch. The last time I checked, the trailer is critter free and in really decent shape. I'll keep you posted as to our progress. I'm sure Nicole (another new member) will be interested in our renovation experience. Any suggestions/cautions from other members who have gone this route would be welcomed.

I will retire in about 2 years, which should give me enough time to make sure all is set for some really serious traveling, which will include Alaska.
joska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Good luck with the restoration! At the end of the summer I purchased a new furnace, water heater, and refer from Palomino Parts. Jevin was the contact person (800) 297-5830. Fantastic prices, nice folks!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome Joska

Hello.. I bet you have a rear bedroom with wraparound window.. that is what we were searching for... but we got a 5th wheel 28' SOB with 2 slides.. we have a 26' 1975 Argosy.. love it .. not big enough for 6 months living .. we have redone it and newly painted also.. it is a beauty.. but we will get another in the distant future.... Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want to not look like, I think the new term is "a poser", maybe when you paint the coach silver, you can add some swoopy graphics to the sides. There is a thread in the forums about this, with a photo of an Airstream with the graphics applied. A forum search of "swoopy graphics" should turn the thread up for you.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be a beaut! You're lucky in that you can take your Argosy to Jackson Center for some of the basics like a new water heater or furnace. I'd probably replace those just on general principals - leaky propane can burn your white palace or kill you. How are your axles?

Whatever you do to the paint, you'll have a beauty. I've seen one or two that were painted in far more than basic colors - ocean waves, etc.

I have the Airstream, but I really like the look and floor plan (if not the avocado or orange counters) of the Argosy's. PS - the factory service center is dead in winter so you can get 10%-20% off labor during the off season.

I'm sure you'll find yourself singing "on the road again" frequently as you're renovating.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I look forward to reading about and seeing your "new" Argosy.