Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2003, 02:26 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Angry "NO (RV) Parking" in Parks?

On another List I belong to, a member posted this comment, from her own 'travel' experiences:

>So many parks have NO RVs signs. Was up at the Jupiter Inlet a few
weeks ago taking pictures and saw signs everywhere restricting camper
parking ....Hmmm.<<

This is a horrible state of affairs....
I want to get a cross-section of people who can post their experiences in this vein.

How many have seen this "NO RVs" sign up? What's the reason?
Anyone!!!
........Cat
Old 01-16-2003, 06:07 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Cat,

Here in Florida the signs are up to stop people from "living" in a parking lot. Our winter visitors come in such droves that most counties do not allow overnight RV parking in most lots. RV parking to do some sightseeing is fine, but staying overnight is usally not allowed. If they allowed it many snowbirds would never go into a campground and other visitors to parks and fishing spots would have nowhere to park.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Cat,

Brett's right on the money! As you noticed, the road from the main parking to the inlet, is narrow and very winding, and the county has a problem with just trying to keep cars from blocking access to the inlet.

Now just south of the inlet on A1A, you are allowed to park along the beach with your RV, but unable to stay the night.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I know in California they have had real problems (and may still have) with people pretty much living all along the coast in their rv's. These weren't the typical recreational campers, (hope I don't step on any toes here) but people who I guess were down on their luck, beach bums, drifters, transients and such. Most of their rv's were pretty sad to look at as well. I think they may have ruined the beach experience for a lot of the truly recreational rv'ers in California, and is probably spreading all over the states, parks, points of interest, etc,.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

NF

That's why the NF only allows 14 days camping in a give area. You have to move to a different area within the forest, not just to a different site because some people were making their camp as a permanet home.

John
Old 01-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Closer to home

I have stayed at McKinney Falls SP, right at the edge of Austin and found a half-dozen big families staying in non-airconditioned popups in the middle of the summer. I spoke to one fellow and he said that he had been there for a couple of months and they just leave for one night every couple of weeks and come right back in fresh, usually right back to the same site.

They were nice folks, but their campsite was terribly trashy. With a half dozen similar rigs in the campground, it really looked bad.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Angry Trashy sites

This is the kind of discussion I was hoping for...ppl from all over and how it varies. Sounds like there's a trend going on, with the RVers ("campers") which causes the time restrictions --- less than clean-looking rigs, and trashy build-ups around the site.

This is the reason I started my little group Royal Trailer Trash...because of that stigma...BUT the stigma didn't start in the minds of prejudiced people....but rather, it began with 'campers' (Full-Time or Part-Time) that have caused this stigma by their lack of pride. There's no one on RTT that would want to 'live' (full-time) where their neighbors have no pride, and had trashy/seedy sites/rigs.

I can truly understand the restrictions. However, I hope I win the Power Ball someday, because I will open my own Park (probably call it RTT and I will have rules and NO rules--- BOTH; and I WILL provide storage sheds (to rent) that all match the appearnce of the park, and will provide space needed by full-timers..

What I hate...is parks who make it impossible for anyone with a 'vintage' rig to stay. Some say it's for insurance reasons...but I've checked with the ins. cos. and they say that's 'bunk"...It's more than that... Just as Chas said, some look pretty sad.---and this 'look' doesn't do much to encourage an overnighter in a nice rig to want to stop and stay. There's places on the beach in Calfiornia where you can stay overnight...but there's a time limit too---and it's free. I DON'T think it helps to limit the time---as Brett ? said, they've learned to just leave and come right back... (like a car with the Meter Maid's chalkmark on their tires)... What I think is more effective,,,is just some good sensible (not too strict) rules. As an example of too strict is a place up here where they only allow you to have FIVE items in your site beside your rig and one vehicle... That includes a door mat, a barbeque, a lawn chair, a planter box. That's four! if you want a second lawn chair that's FIVE. NO MORE. Not even a watering can. I think that's excessive. * I've seen these parks where those 5 apply, and there are worse things around not even enforced. So, I say make the rules less strict...and provide a uniform storage shed available for rent, and in time, the ones who won't pay the extra rent for storage ... will just move on.

I'm a full-timer, and I don't have a 'Garaged Address' for insurance purposes---or for extra storage; and I REFUSE to live in a trashy park; so there has to be places where I find people who agree with this...and parks where they can find a solution.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Question huh?

Cat,

I'm sorry, but I have know idea what you're talking about!

John
Old 01-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
excuse me?
Old 01-17-2003, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Cat,

I'm kinda wondering as well?? Started out good but you lost me there towards the middle and even more so at the end.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Fulltiming

As a fellow fulltimer, I carry everything that I own too. But I only carry what I need to live day-to-day.

Private campgrounds reserve the right to exclude. It's their business, it's their right and they own it.

I chose to live within their guidelines. If I don't enjoy their rules, I'll move on down the road.

John
Old 01-17-2003, 05:48 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Quote:
I know in California they have had real problems (and may still have) with people pretty much living all along the coast in their rv's.
There certainly are people living fulltime in RV's in California, both "drifters" with no choice, and those that choose to live as "fulltimers". But I would say that they are not "all along the coast" as the ability to even park along the coast in California is severely restricted. There are designated parks and campsites, and some limited areas along the Coast Highway which you can park, but this is not "all along the coast." Much of the coastal property is private, and in many areas, particularly along the central coast you can't even get to the ocean except on very restricted roads. All of the state run, National Forest Service and National Park Service sites have limits as to length of stay, which I've always thought was to allow for more people to visit. There seem to be plenty of private parks where fulltimers are accomodated.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:09 PM   #13
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
different conceptions

pardon me for rambling-on. I thought I was being clear...

>>As a fellow fulltimer, I carry everything that I own too. But I only carry what I need to live day-to-day. Private campgrounds reserve the right to exclude. It's their business, it's their right and they own it. I chose to live within their guidelines. If I don't enjoy their rules, I'll move on down the road. <<

..., of course it's their (the park owner's) right...however, (and this is where I think there has been some loss of understanding as to what I meant..._...I also choose to live within the Park guidelines (this is the responsibility of any good traveller)...however, my FIRST consideration is that I park my rig in a Park WHERE the guidelines/rules suit ME. I wouldn't stay where it was otherwise---that's also my choice.
But then, I'm not coming in at odd-hours, like those "on the road" would be. I personally don't want to 'set-up' and 'tear-down' that often.

I couldn't enjoy a park where I couldn't enjoy the rules---
I would move on down the road before the fact. Perhaps "fulltiming" just means something different to different people...? you think ?
Old 01-17-2003, 10:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

True

Cat,

I believe you're correct in that "fulltiming" means something different to different people. My idea of fulltiming is: the trailer is my fulltime home and no matter where I am, I'm at home. The scenery may change, but my home doesn't :-) .

I believe what you're saying is that when you're looking for a "winter or spring or summer or fall" home, the campground/RV park rules/guidelines must fit your needs because you are going to be spending X amount of weeks there. And YES, that too is important to me, but not as important when I'm just passing through traveling to my next destination.

From your travels I'm sure you have seen the A-Z of the economic scale. And as how life is, there are always a percentage of those who don't keep their belongings or surroundings as neat and/or as clean as maybe we would like, but they too have to live and there are campgrounds/RV parks who will accommodate them. That's why I feel it's important to drive/walk through the entire park prior to making a monthly commitment.

Example of this is where I'm currently staying. The park is 100 acres and off in it's own little section, is where the people who's life style is one of lesser means and/or they tend not to care or maintain their belongings. The section in which I stay, is kept in a clean and orderly manner and because of the location to my family and that it's cheap, I chose to accept the whole package for the winter.

One of the benefits I find to being a campground host within a state park is that they hold a high level of regard to maintaining a clean and orderly area. So by giving back to the community, I in turn receive a clean and safe environment in which to spend a few months at.

So in closing I'll just say that let's be thankful for the gifts that we have, both of in mind and in economics, and that we are able to travel and experiences different regions of this beautiful country of ours. Because most of those other people, once they put down their stabilizer, their there to stay.

Peace always-John
Old 05-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
restrictions?

Now I'm really hesitant to purchase a MH if I won't be able to park it at any place I want to or can, if I get tired if driving! But I heard that if one becomes a member of some expensive RV clubs, that it's exclusive for them only. Sounds like fulltiming can get hefty expensive.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Astrodokk

Don't let this thread discourage you. There are plenty of places to park/camp for reasonable prices or free. In a discussion on this subject on another board many of the members concluded with an Airstream it was not so much the age as the condition. Most older Airstreams are well maintained and park management really can't tell if it is a 1982 or 1997. Fudge on the age and they have been able to park where they wanted. The age limit is to keep SOBs out that have self destructed at 10-15 years.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:43 PM   #17
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Restrictive Parking

RIGHT ON JOHN...
At least here's a "John" who makes sense! You are absolutely 100 percent correct! Lots of places to park.

And you make a list of all the people who say, "When you get out this way, let me know, you can park in my yard.." (I've had lots of people tell me that...from every corner of the map in the States and from east to west in the Provinces.

Then, there's the beaches, and there's the retails stores (shhhhhhhhhhhhhh)... lots of places.

and John you are so right about the age thing. Lots of those parks just love having an Airstream come in....as long as it's shiney and well kept. What you said about the reason...it's not insurance companies at all! I found that out. It's just as you said...they want to keep the trashy units out! period! that's why I have my Group (below)...b/c. b/c b/c...

:O)
Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
What does SOB mean, besides the obvious epithet that most are familiar with?
Old 05-10-2003, 09:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good Question

Carlos,
The term SOB=Some Other Brand

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 09:16 PM   #20