Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Mpls to DC?

Thinking about taking my wife, daughter, German exchange student daughter, and perhaps her French friend, on a trailer trek to Washington, DC in early April.

A quick web search only found a few campgrounds in the area. I would welcome ideas from members that have visited that area, or who live there. It would be nice to be close to a Metro park-and-ride so we would not need to park in the city.

I know about the major sites, but does anyone have ideas of cool things that teenage girls might like to see in the area?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Dan,

Every time we have gone to Washington DC we have stopped at the Cherry Hill RV Park. http://www.cherryhillpark.com/

Cherry Hill is a little short on amenities but it is very convienent to the DC area. There is even a bus stop at the campground.

We have found that we didn't use the trailer except to eat and sleap. the rest of the time we are sight seeing.

Early april will be cool and probably before the cherry blossoms. We have driven through the Capitol every year for the last 6 years the last week in april. The cherry blossoms are on the back side of their show.

Good luck and have a good time.

Mark
Old 01-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Last October we stayed at Greenbelt National Park. http://www.nps.gov/gree/

It's in Maryland about 12 miles from the centre of Washington DC, and the Greenbelt Metro station is just 2 miles away. There are no electrical or water hookups, but the washrooms are good and at $14 per night it's a great deal.

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Greenbelt Park looks perfect at $14/night! We have a Honda EU2000i, so we will not need electric hookup. They have hot showers, so we wont need water hookup either. Only 2 miles to the Greenbelt Metro station is great, especially with the park-and-ride lot. Perfect... thanks!

Cherry Hill is a bit expensive for us at around $50/night.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
What to see in DC ???

Dan---our daughter & son-in law live in Leesburg VA & we visit there almost every year. Can't say where the girls interest may lie, however I would encourage a visit to the Washington Monument, Holocaust Museum, National Cemetery---changing of the guards---,there is so much to see, it's impossible to single them out. Several things we found to need is good walking shoes, a light sweater & rain cover. Other than food most everything is free, unless you go on the tour buses, etc. For sure take a ride on the Metro & you'll see how mass transit really works. I think after 9 a.m. the tickets are $5 & you can ride all day from point A to Z. I'd suggest that perhaps you contact our Senator & Congressman offices to see if you can get tickets for a tour of the chambers & also check if they will give you advance tickets for a White House tour. I believe they only allow so many in per day & the lines form EARLY with no guarantee you'll get in. We're lucky, in that our son-in law works for the Secret Service & has been on the Presidential Counter Assault Team. We have been able to get early tickets, view the West Wing, Oval Office, Old Federal Building, & other sites not open to the general public. I can only say for myself, it's an awesome experiance & I hope all will enjoy.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Note: This is a non-Airstream related post.

It's been well over a year since I posted this thread, so I thought I'd tell the "rest of the story". In January of 2005 our 16 year old German exchange student (who we had a wonderful year with thus far) decided to have sex with a drug-user she had started dating about 2 weeks earlier. I found out about it... and I'll just say this is not permitted in my family rulebook. We told her this must stop, and the relationship must end. After a couple difficult weeks she decided to move in with a single woman who apparently didn't care what she did. Of course we later heard that the boy dumped her within a week. The exchange organization (AFS) provided no support. The girl now hates us thinking we are evil. The odd part is her family in Germany hates us too! The really odd part is that her best friend is an exchange student (not AFS) living with us this year (long story...) and the year is going fine.

So, the Airstream trip to DC never happened (there, I found some Airstream content).

Oh, although this year has gone well, it will likely be our final hosting experience.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dan, I relate to your exchange student story. Years ago we had a Japanese exchange student who got along fine at first, but the whole experience went down hill and we finally parted ways. I know from talking with others that this sometimes becomes a wonderful permanent family relationship. Sadly, our experience was more unhappy that good. I'm glad you are currently having a happier time with the exchange program ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Unhappy Some times it more than milk that goes sour

Dan-
Strong principals are what forms a solid family unit. Unforunately that is no longer found in many families. I appreciate your stand--live as we do or move out. To bad these things happens.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote