Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Current Conditions for Cross Country RV Travel

We are planning on leaving Florida in a few weeks for a long trip cross country, traveling thru AL, MS, TN, MO, AR, IO, MN, SD, ND, MT, ID, UT, CO and AZ.

We travel as transients spending 2 - 4 days in each stop, switching between boondock and RV parks as needed. We do not make advance reservations and have no fixed schedule. Have read State Parks websites which state they require quarantine of some visitors from hot spot states like FL, others only operating at 50% capacity.

What is it like out there? Anyone finding issues/problems
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We are planning to set out on a similar trip from the Florida Panhandle as early as next week. We just put new tires on the Airstream yesterday, and we have a brand new tow vehicle. We are very anxious to get out on the road.

Our trip will be to Wyoming and Montana. We are also concerned about what we may encounter along the way. We are 600 miles from Miami and its Corona hot spot, but fear that we will be lumped in with South Florida because of our tags. interested

Thank you for starting this thread as we are keenly interested in the same information.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been traveling for a couple of weeks, thru Iowa, Nebraska and into South Dakota.

I also plan to spend some time in Wyoming.

Some public campgrounds are not fully open, the current private one we are in requires payment in full before arrival and no-contact check in.

I have experienced no problems, but personally have and would avoid stops but for necessities in hot spot states.

Why risk it?

Stay in a parking lot, get your fuel or whatever, use hand sanitizer, cherish being self contained and keep moving.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Git the Airstream and GO!

Join the thousands new RV owners since the March COVID scare began who also have decided to join the RV Lifestyle to hit the road and travel!

With all your new found friends on the road just remember boondocking might be your only choice for camping along the way!

Above all HAVE FUN!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
We left Atlanta 8 days ago. We are 70 years old. We stopped in AR, OK, NM, CO and currently in UT near Canyonlands. (Yes, a quick trip but for reasons too long to get into). We have had no troubles. Our Airstream is our pod. The only indoors areas we go to are grocery stores. We mask up for those and use hand sanitizer. We keep distance from everyone. National Park Rangers are masked up.

So far, so good. I think we are safer on the road than at home.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Stay home. The sooner we all realize how serious this virus is, the sooner we can have better control of it, and travel again. People are tooooo flippant about it.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
eagle river , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
We are planning on leaving Florida in a few weeks for a long trip cross country, traveling thru AL, MS, TN, MO, AR, IO, MN, SD, ND, MT, ID, UT, CO and AZ.

We travel as transients spending 2 - 4 days in each stop, switching between boondock and RV parks as needed. We do not make advance reservations and have no fixed schedule. Have read State Parks websites which state they require quarantine of some visitors from hot spot states like FL, others only operating at 50% capacity.

No problems , just don't watch the news , you will be fine .. Lots of free spots to boon dock , such as fish and wildlife sites....
Finding , masks are a joke , live a clean safe lifestyle and you will be fine ..
Our government is trying to sell us out , this country belongs to the PEOPLE , get out and take it back .. Enjoy
fj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gilbert , Arizona
We are AZ residents who left our home state on 6/1. We spent a week in OR, a couple nights in ID, almost 2 weeks in MT, a week in WY and are now completing the second week in CO. We have had no issues with the RV parks in which we stayed (KOA, Good Sam and one independent in Golden, CO), although some do not have all their bathrooms, pools and other niceties open. We have found the parks crowded, but not at full capacity except over the July 4 holiday. Be aware that some state parks (CO for sure) require advance reservations. Enjoy this magnificent country and PLEASE wear masks and adhere to social distancing.
FraBarYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have been on the road since May. Self quarantine laws are self regulated and no self respecting police officer will openly enforce it with all the issues that are happening in our country. Be safe, don’t put yourself or others at risk. You’re self contained and as others have said, private parks are open and contactless check in. State and federal parks are hit or miss. Be flexible with where you stay and you will be fine.

We wash our hands frequently. Sanitize often. Wear a mask when we can’t social distance or end up in doors. We basically only go in doors to grocery shop or quick stop for fuel. Beyond that we are outside or inside our own space.

People in national parks are extremely considerate of each other and social distancing. We find being away from major cities has been a blessing on so many levels. Enjoy the outdoors.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
I have been living in my Airstream since the first of the year. I was commuting to my job.

At work, in February, we were told that all employees will be working from home until further notice.

For the first 5 months of the year I full-timed it in three different RV Parks. I rarely left my trailer and had already been stocked up on food and essential supplies to last me 6 months (in late January my spidey-sense kicked in and got ready for something apocalyptic). In January through mid-February I ordered though Amazon, and elsewhere, all food, essential medical supplies, TP, replacement parts for my Bambi, etc.) The last week of February Amazon started running dry, as-well-as local retailers (I gathered from news accounts that shelves were going bare, and TP was in short supply, but I had already prepared).

In June I started my trip to Jackson Center. I traveled through Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. There were very few people out and about that were wearing masks (gas station attendants were masked up, but not may folks that were getting fuel). I always wear disposable gloves when fueling, and have been wearing my mask, as well, when I make pit stops. Most of my reservations are taken care of over the web. I use PPE if I have to interact with Park management.

I have since ventured out into a few retail locations (wearing mask and disposable gloves). When I do purchase items I always disinfect by spraying them with iso alcohol before they go into a wooden box in the camper shell of my TV. If they are perishable they get another disinfectant round with bleach wipes (again, masked and gloved up) before going in the trailer. The rest are left in the camper shell heat box for a few days before getting wiped down with bleach wipes and going in the trailer. Shoes are never allowed in my trailer so they are left outside.

I have been in the same location for the past couple of weeks (over the July 4th holiday). There was a very large fireworks display on the Ohio river for the 4th and very few people were wearing masks (antidotal, as I never left my trailer until the crowds went home).

I am 60 years of age and in good health. I ride a mountain bike at least 1 hour a day in the evenings and see very few folks involved in that activity where I have been located.

Although I do get odd looks from time to time while spraying down my purchased items in the store parking lot or at my trailer, I still use my PPE and practice social distancing... I am still in good health.

Through the midwest it seems to be situation normal. My greater concern is driving through large cities on major thoroughfares. I have since confined my travel to non-major highways and more and more I take the back roads and byways. It is incredible the difference this makes in the stress level of traveling and the incredible real-America that you see. Freeways are overrated. My 19ft with 3 inch lift is very nimble and allows me to go places most larger RVs are not able to navigate.

Also, in February I purchased a 10lb portable washing machine and do all my laundry in my trailer. I don't use laundry facilities at RV parks or in town anymore. I am going to do a modification to my 19FC and reconfigure and install my washing machine where the bathroom sink is currently located. Has all the hookups (power, water, drain) already in place.

My use of PPE, etc. is a personal choice. Maybe too much for some. Your mileage may vary.

trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
We were out west in May then again in June. Situation was better in June. Co. was iffy in May, differed from county to county. Gunnison by far the worst. June stayed in NM, CO, UT, with no issues. Many places very busy. At Bryce, Rubys seemed to be busier than the other parks but they had room in overflow. No first come spots in the park campgrounds, all reservation only. That may change. Pagosa Hot Springs were open, masks required when in contact with employees. We went with the "when in Rome" attitude in regards to masking, respectful of requirements. Have fun
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Texas to MT thru CO and WY- no issues

We left TX in late May for MT. We had no issues with finding RV campgrounds in TX nor CO along the way. We stayed at several commercial campgrounds along the route, calling ahead for last minute reservations, around 2pm or so, to make sure had a place for the night; especially weekend travel. Overall, we noticed most all service related commercial business workers (restaurants especially) wore masks, although not required in WY nor Montana)

Once in WY, we stayed in Dubois Windhaven RV resort one night. Then headed to Tetons...several State campgrounds were open and easy to get campsites mid day, including Atherton Creek ($12/ nite boondock) which is by Grose Venture. Call the WY Ranger station and they will update you on campground status for the state campgrounds.

Gros Venture opened while we were in Atherton, so we moved over there for 3 nights with power...nice location, close to Jackson and Teton entrance...saw moose every day! This is a big campground with boondocking sites and electric; first come first serve sites. It did not fill the entire time we were there. Jackson had just finished quarantine and had opened back up to restaurants and shopping. No issues we saw...some folks wore masks; some did not. We wore masks when shopping.

My son just headed back to TX two weeks ago and stayed there a couple nights and said it was not full then either. West Yellowstone was just opening in June, but we did not camp there this year. If your going that way suggest call ahead the Park service to check..There are a couple places we like outside West Yellowstone, including Bakers Hole and Rainbow campgrounds. My son did stay at Bakers Hole a few weeks ago for 3 nights and said it filled around 3pm.

In MT, there are several campgrounds including state campgrounds that are open. Glacier Park campgrounds were very limited- Fish Creek and they said Saint Mary's, but I understand access to the East side was limited due to Indian quarantine on their access land.. The park had "limited" access day use only to Avalanche on Going to the Sun road; limited meaning they would close when it got full. We stayed 4 nights in Glacier campground RV park about a mile outside the West Glacier. Stayed there a few times now; wooded camp sites, showers, laundry, shopping not far, and close to entrance.

We drove up to Hungry Horse campgrounds and they were all open, but need to get there early...Lost Johnny Point campgrounds has both first come and reservations...excellent boondocking campground if your in the area. We also stayed at picturesque Holland Lake a few nights, which has both first come and reservations.

As for health concerns, we always carried our masks when shopping and mingled with family and friends. No issues...if your concerned about mingling with anyone, I would recommend staying home. We chose to enjoy our AS and the country, while practicing what we consider common sense. YMMV...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Mesa , Arizona
We left AZ on June 1st. We have traveled thru NM, mask required at all locations, including fueling. Traveled on thru Texas, Okla, Missouri,( 3 days in Branson, and 2 days in St Louis) on thru Illinois, Indiana, Ohio ( 3 day in Dayton) and then to be Pennsylvania for 2 weeks. Now in Michigan and have had no problems traveling anywhere. Most arks are full but most people are being very careful.
kdfulsome54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:

Add Wyoming to your itinerary - but please leave out Yellowstone/Jackson as it is completely insane trying to drive through these areas, let alone with a full rig! Another thing, most of our state parks are full - crazy huh?! So you may want to look into alternative spots to stay, i.e. KOA, Good Sam, etc.

Enjoy your travels!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Whitefish , Montana
Please don't come to Montana...

Unless you are willing to quarantine for 14 days on entry into the state and socially distance and wear a mask after that.
Basecamp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:

Thanks to those who provided good info to the OP’s question (What is it like out there? Anyone finding issues/problems) and kept the thread on track.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cerrillos , New Mexico
NM now has a 2 week quarantine if you stop and stay. No problem if you are just driving through. NM State Parks are closed. Masks are required when indoors or in public. These are the rules and I hope people will be respectful of them. We have, so far, escaped the conflagrations raging in neighboring states; please don't bring this into our communities. Contrary to what the retired doc says, this is NOT the flu and far from an ordinary illness.
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Thanks to those who provided good info to the OP’s question (What is it like out there? Anyone finding issues/problems) and kept the thread on track.
Ditto.

From what I find online, the 14 day quarantine for travelers to Montana was lifted June 1.

Maggie
Old 07-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
All truck stops are open!

Can get noisy though! I am on the road 2500 to 3500 miles every week and have been all year. Been seeing more and more RVs each week. Not like last year at this time but it’s getting there! Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
We traveled MS to VT two weeks ago. No problems, but campgrounds seemed full, especially on weekends (we had prior reservations) . We kept to ourselves, wore masks while refueling or getting groceries; and, for the first time ever, carried my .45 in the truck cab with me (50 state Federal permit) as we had to go near or through several cities during the riots. No problems encountered.