Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
We use the Coleman coffee maker. We've never had a problem with it.

https://www.coleman.com/camping-coff...000015167.html
I've got the same, it's been awesome. I'm fairly confident that the coffee tastes better than the Breville at home. Could be that I'm happier while with the Airstream too though and that makes everything better. Takes a while to brew but I fill the thermos when done and we've got enough for several hours.
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #42

Lima , Ohio
Coffee

I use boiled water and an Aeropress coffee maker, this is similar properties to a French press but with disposable filters and all plastic design. I grind fresh just what I need and make a mighty good cup anytime I want. All you need is hot water and a few minutes.
scooties71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
Any resistive load on the battery will quickly deplete a battery. Your best bet is to use your propane stove, boil water and pour through a Malita single serve filter.

Ken
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Hollidaysburg , Pennsylvania
Coffee on battery

Capresso 5 cup drip from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Lljones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RWARXY

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GKCP1.../dp/B01GSROEX2

or this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCS13I2

Jason
Roguegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooties71 View Post
I use boiled water and an Aeropress coffee maker, this is similar properties to a French press but with disposable filters and all plastic design. I grind fresh just what I need and make a mighty good cup anytime I want. All you need is hot water and a few minutes.
Another vote for AeroPress with hot water however you wish to heat it (gas). The additional huge upside is that it doesn't take hardly any water to clean it, in fact most days you could use zero water to clean the coffee maker...just wipe the plunger clean when done. French press can make great coffee, but it also wastes a lot and is a nightmare to clean.

I really like my AeroPress and use it at home too, its great because in the summer I can dump the concentrated coffee over ice and have an iced Americano...or add hot water for an Americano. It will produce one of the best cups of coffee you can make, especially if you use fresh ground beans.

Did I mention that it takes less than 30-seconds to clean?
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Coffee

I don't think people read your question or maybe I did not read it.
Every one tel you what to use different but no one answered you.
Again I'm not the brightest.
But a small Mr coffee from walmart uses about 800 watts and will perk you couple of cups if you have a 2000 watt inverter. I used a 1600 watt one and did not work so if you want coffee I believe this will work.
Then there are the other ways to make coffee.

Starbucks
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Several years ago Backpacker recommended Starbucks instant coffee. These folks are the ultimate boondockers. That's what I use since. No it's not a perfect cuppa but it uses a minimum of resources and space allowing one to stay out longer.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Several years ago Backpacker recommended Starbucks instant coffee. These folks are the ultimate boondockers. That's what I use since. No it's not a perfect cuppa but it uses a minimum of resources and space allowing one to stay out longer.
Yep. To complete the Starbucks experience all one needs do is shout your name out wrong and toss a $10 bill into the campfire.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Chemex

We have three RV’s that we use in different locations and applications.
In all three we have ditched the automatic coffee makers and gone to poor over. We love the Chemex process. Excellent coffee without bitter acids.
We also poor over into a Stanley thermos.
Besides the Chemex, there is a slick carafe by Boden, sold at Target.
Re-heat on stovetop when Microwave does not have power.
In all cases, buy yourself a nice kettle with a long skinny spout.
In all cases, buy yourself quality coffee beans and grind daily. No power? Use a hand grinder.
Old is new.
Less is more.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a stainless French press. Works great, except I hate having to clean it every time. I miss the Keurig, but the coffee was never strong enough.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #52

Umatilla , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a coffee maker that runs at less that 1000 watts so that we can make coffee while on the road? Single serve, super easy K cup style preferred.
Walmart has a wide variety of french coffee makers, one as low as $8.89 https://www.walmart.com/browse/4044_...sses_Under+$20

20 oz. of hot water & 1/4 cup of ground coffee in the resevoir. Let brew for 3-4 minutes and then pour through built-in strainer. Voila! Hot, fresh coffee, 2 cups at a time.
clark4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Getting back at the OPs needs...

If one desires a stronger cup of coffee (i.e. espresso), many of the Nespresso machines use right about or less than 1000W, as they brew less volume of liquid. That can certainly provide a nice cup of strong coffee, from a single serving "pod", without any fuss.

But again, it's like religion. Many people don't mind going out of their own way as a therapeutic ritual for that just right cup of coffee.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And sticking to no propane, no power....I found at a shop in a large truck stop a 12volt kettle of sorts, strictly for heating water.

Tho I’ve never used it , I still carry it and may at some point.

Those shops might be good places to look around for 12volt items.

As to instant coffee...if you like cream and sugar, and want to boil water, Trader Joe’s carries a really excellent and inexpensive instant in packets. All in one, and very good.

I carry it with me any time I travel, anywhere, any way, and it is my morning coffee on “go” days out in the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Cazenovia , New York
Robbie

I agree! No need for electricity, just heat water and pour over grounds in plastic or ceramic cone with filter-drink coffee-add grounds to someone’s garden! Better cup of coffee too!
Happy camping!
rlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #56
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I don't think people read your question or maybe I did not read it.
Every one tel you what to use different but no one answered you.
Again I'm not the brightest.
But a small Mr coffee from walmart uses about 800 watts and will perk you couple of cups if you have a 2000 watt inverter. I used a 1600 watt one and did not work so if you want coffee I believe this will work.
Then there are the other ways to make coffee.

Starbucks
I did read it. We do a fair bit of camping off-grid, and prefer a stove-top method to save on the batteries. We found that our inverter uses a fair bit of battery power. Plus, in the Bambi storage space is at a premium.

Possibly the OPer or someone else might be interested in alternatives. I think the goal is to make a good cup of coffee.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator 8-cup

Since 1955. Boil water and pour over. Repeat. Fill two large Stanley Thermos. Finished for the day.

On eBay.

The bare hiss of the propane range is the thing.

For you electricity addicts. The unnatural 60Hz buzz. Tune out and turn on. Back away.

A built-in range means no more digging out of the car trunk Grandads Coleman stove and pumping it up. That’s so 1940.

Join 1960, why doncha.

Some things don’t improve. This is one of them.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #58
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator 8-cup

A built-in range means no more digging out of the car trunk Grandads Coleman stove and pumping it up. That’s so 1940.

Join 1960, why doncha.

Some things don’t improve. This is one of them.

Drip-O-Lator was a trade name for Enterprise Aluminum from Massillon OH http://www.massillonmuseum.org/236 but the name seems to have stuck on many other brands like West Bend and others. I own three largest is 18 cup.

They are darn good but no where to plug them in. They need something charming and a bit nostalgic like, let me think.......

A Coleman 425 or 413 camp stove. Yes that's a combo. And looks great next to our retro looking time capsule trailer.

Coffee anyone?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ah, the old green two-burner Coleman stove. Burns Coleman fuel or ‘white gas’ back in the old days. Have a very old one, got it with fuel in it, had been in storage for 10-15 years.

Oiled the pump with some 3-in-one oil, pumped it up, flipped up the little start lever and put a match to the burner while I cracked the handwheel valve open. It promptly roared to life!

They don’t make them like that any more!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Drip-O-Lator was a trade name for Enterprise Aluminum from Massillon OH http://www.massillonmuseum.org/236 but the name seems to have stuck on many other brands like West Bend and others. I own three largest is 18 cup.

They are darn good but no where to plug them in. They need something charming and a bit nostalgic like, let me think.......

A Coleman 425 or 413 camp stove. Yes that's a combo. And looks great next to our retro looking time capsule trailer.

Coffee anyone?
Thanks. Revere Ware Drip. But no Lator
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote