Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Wynnewood , Pennsylvania
Route Suggestions

A Newbie, 1st trip planned for January - Philadelphia to Key West. Looking for sage counsel on travel routes, possible overnight stays campgrounds/ Cracker Barrels/ Walmart etc.
Figuring 4 -6 hr days thinking 5 day trip.

2018 25FB

Thanks
TJPL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pa to key west is two days each way. Onlyleaves one day in kw even if you have a reservation. 1350 miles each way. Thats over 600 miles ler day. Thats 100 mph for a six hour day! But there are lots of places to stop! Ordid i misread your post?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

While coming down through VA, I would look at Rt.29, then pickup Rt.601 (NC), down to Rt. 301 all the way down through FL. A little longer ride, but nice two/four lane road with all the old stuff to see along the way. Little to no Interstate Hwy.

Enjoy,
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Florida state parks are excellent, but you need reservations. Closer you get to KW the more expensive the RV Parks get but you need reservations well in advance.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In January I'd just want to get south. I've driven 600 mile days easily, but not fun. I'd get on I-95. It's rumored that Florence, S.C. grew because it was half way between NYC and Florida, so folks stopped there.
Florida is a big state, so after you get away from the cold, I'd recommend St. Augustine, FL. as a nice stop.
Great area to walk around.
Then a stop at Space Center is really good.
Are you locked in to a time frame? Two weeks sounds better.
Take time to smell the roses. Also plan a stop in John Pennykamp, st. park, on the upper keys, and Bahai Honda st. park is great in the middle keys.
Say hello to the Key deer on Big Pine Key. They wander around, just be careful since they don't fear cars. Campgrounds near the keys will be pricey, like $100. I'd try to stay a bit north and drive.
I love Key West. However, if you don't like eating and drinking, it may be boring.
Another idea is to camp in Sanibel Island near Naples and take the high speed catamaran to Key West.

One year, we decided to spend Thanksgiving in the Everglades, at Flamingo lodge. People recommended the shark trail for scenery. I can't tell you about the scenery, because we ended up RUNNING for our lives from mosquitoes. Literally, a black swarm.
However, the entrance to Everglades National Park has a beautiful visitor center with lots of wildlife. It's close to Homestead, FL.

Whatever you decide, call for reservations now! (something I never seem to do and regret it.) Also, decide if you want nature as in St Park campgrounds, or facilities, as in commercial campgrounds. Florida has plenty of both, but you won't get the choice spots without reservations.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'd run 95 straight down. It's busy around DC/Richmond, but just south of Richmond it's a breeze of a drive.

Cracker Barrel in NC or SC, or even the campground at South of the Border. (We stayed here a few months back, not fancy, but quiet and secure)

We ran 81 south from Chambersburg, to 77, to 26, back to 95, but I think 95 is a bit better road.

Have fun!
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
It depends on your preferences. If you want the fastest route then I-95 is the way to go. But you are traveling on a busy highway that can be stress producing and tiring. I've done it multiple times and personally choose the routes less traveled.

As "rideair" suggested, we try to avoid the interstates by taking US15 and then US29. From there I take various routes, sometimes US601, US301, US1, US221 or US441. But it is a slower pace.

The last trip we made (last week) we found a nice city campground in Vidalia, GA, appropriately named Sweet Onion RV Park. Only $18 but first come first serve.

For us, at this point in life, it is more about the journey than the destination! But, as mentioned, it depends on your preferences.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Wynnewood , Pennsylvania
Thinking of traveling 4 to 6 hrs a day allowing 5 days to get KW.

Considering 13 thru Eastern Shore of MD, over Chesapeake Bridge 17 VA, NC & SC then back on 95 into FL
TJPL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Start looking for reservations in the Keys now. The lower keys got hurt pretty bad. You can pretty much forget about the State Parks this late in the game but you might get lucky.

Have family in KW. They say basic services up and running but cleanup still underway. Technically, you cannot boondock in Monroe County, even with the permission of a land owner but I don't know how hardcore they are right now about enforcement as many homeowners are living in RV's due to damage to their homes.

To be honest with you, I think I'd stay on the mainland and give the Keys another year to get it together.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
First get the Allstays App for camping & rv. It is the best $10 you will ever spend. One of our favorite “Real Florida” campgrounds is Tomoka State Park. It is just north of Daytona Beach off I95. You should be able to get a reservation there for only one night.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1602.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	795.9 KB
ID:	301664
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So you meant 5 day trip each way? Now thats a lotmore fun!
Have a great time! Very g ood suggestions here for layovers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote