Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Atlanta? Straight thru or not?
Stay in a certain lane. 2 18.18%
Go around Atlanta. 6 54.55%
Avoid this day and time at all costs. 1 9.09%
Buckle up baby! 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Long haul trucks cannot follow 75 through Atlanta. Cars towing trailers can. I have not seen ant Dinah’s in Atlanta prohibiting trailers in the HOV lane.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
That’s what weekends are for!

I plan my trips to transit any big cities on the weekend. That includes Atlanta, St. Louis, K.C., etc. For Atlanta, I-75 straight through on Saturday or Sunday is not bad. I vote for 2nd lane from right, although you do have to keep moving left to stay there, as the 1st lane keeps peeling off to exit.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Avoid the ATL

We lived in metro ATL for 31 years then moved to the mountains. When going south with the trailer we avoid ATL and get onto I75 south of Macon.

We lived in Cobb County (north west of town) and I went to the airport ( south of Downtown) often (2M miler on Delta). Always took I285 which generally worked ok. However it’s crazier now. I don’t even want to be on 285 with the trailer. Solo in the car is a different story.

Life is too short for that BS
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Atlanta

Just go thru ATL anytime between midnight and 5am,,,,,,you can use any lane!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
SARASOTA , Florida
I own a 2020 Interstate 19 and utilize the E-pass extra transponder that enables me to travel the express toll roads in 13 states therefore by-passing most congestion. Stay safe😷
Ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
SARASOTA , Florida
E-Pass Transponder

I own a 2020 Interstate 19 and have an E-Pass extra transponder that allows me to travel the express lanes in 13 states therefore avoiding most massive congestion. Especially handy in my travels from Franklin Tn to Sarasota Fl via Atlanta. Stay safe😷
Ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I used to live in Atlanta... not long ago. typically it is heavy during rush hour but in between AM and PM rush hour, you have a short window of not so bad traffic. After 9 PM, it gets better. later it gets, the better traffic is. I noticed that I move fairly faster through I-85 and I-75 but not I-20 or I-285. but traffic could change in a year or so and my information may be outdated. It is easier to stay on 2nd or 3rd lane from right and look way ahead of you and make a decision. I once arrived at Buford (NE) of Atlanta from NC at start of heavy traffic, I pulled over to the mall and stayed there for a couple hours while there's chaos on road. the roads were almost wonderful after a few hours of rest and relaxation.
Sometimes there is NO way round cities. How do you avoid Los Angeles? there is a couple of LONG side roads on east parts but not west, unless you are on a boat. Atlanta is a big city and you can use Waze to help you decide fastest route.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
We go through it twice a year with a 30' FC Bunk, I always go straight thru downtown and never use the bypass, stay out of HOV, as one person indicated the police will wave you out of it if they see you there (even with multiple people in the vehicle). I use whatever lane is moving, and like others said, if you can hit it late evening or after midnight, it will make life a lot easier!
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Overall, it's not nearly as bad as Chicago, Dallas, or LA. I would drive straight through and not get on 285.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...879824!5m1!1e1
I was wondering about that. We live in Chicago and so we're used to Chicago traffic. We came through Atlanta recently on a Sunday evening, took the bypass. It was not too bad and the signage is good but maybe straight through would have been better. We'll give that a try next time. Thanks.
janicemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:40 PM   #30
G-Ranch

1970 25' Tradewind
Smyrna , Georgia
Coming thru Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Reading this thread reminds me of the Abott and Costello "Whose on First" skit. Having driven through Atlanta since 1974, and with a trailer more recently I totally get it....just gave me a chuckle.
Cross roads of the SE USA. You would be amazed with the changes. Hold on to your hat.

To the OP......

First consult a map at least 50 miles before entering. Know you plan and have written plan in the copilot’s Hand. Look for signs and get ready for NASCAR ATL.
G-Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Oak Grove , Missouri
Evade Atlanta

One answer to your question as to how to go around Atlanta is very simple. Go through Mississippi. The general direction is the same and the roads are far better. Enjoy the ride.
mbrownao24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Overall, it's not nearly as bad as Chicago, Dallas, or LA. I would drive straight through and not get on 285.
]
That reminds me of a time when I hosted a meeting in Metro ATL with coworkers coming from all over the eastern half of the US. I took note when the guys from Boston complained about ATL traffic😳. That tells you something.

I can understand why someone going from the Midwest to FL won’t want to jump off the interstate just to avoid ATL. Going through AL or MS as someone mentioned might be a better alternative.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
That reminds me of a time when I hosted a meeting in Metro ATL with coworkers coming from all over the eastern half of the US. I took note when the guys from Boston complained about ATL traffic😳. That tells you something.

I can understand why someone going from the Midwest to FL won’t want to jump off the interstate just to avoid ATL. Going through AL or MS as someone mentioned might be a better alternative.
Back when I was working for the man, my cousins from a rural setting in SC used to ask me, "How long does it take you to get to work?" I would say, "fifteen minutes." That's because I picked a place to live inside the Perimeter close to my office. Then there's all the people who buy a house way outside the Perimeter who think that commuting is a good idea. They likely have a million dollar house for half a million. But the problem with that is that for all the time and money they are wasting on commuting, they could have had a decent house ITP. And then there's the lack of appreciation way out and the insanity of the commute. I knew a guy who drove the top end Perimeter (285) for a couple of years before moving. He referred to 285 as- The Crescent of Death. Oh yea, and my cousins who live in rural paradise drive 45 minutes one way.

All I'm saying is this: I check live traffic reports before I leave the house to run an errand. Mostly, I avoid the Interstates, but sometimes I have to go somewhere. If it's red, I stay home or take an alternate route. Here's another thought. Last year, I sold a car and bought a Boosted Rev electric scooter. You could live next door to me and have a 911 Turbo, but if you obey the speed limits, you are likely going to get there in last place on short hops, as I can avoid lights and drive on sidewalks.

So my final thoughts on Atlanta traffic are this: Covid has been the biggest thing to reduce Atlanta traffic since the Olympics. Most of the comments about how bad it is are pre-Covid. Rush hour has traffic but it's not like last year. You can actually get on the Interstates and get somewhere without sitting for an hour.

Check the live reports and use WAZE. Keep up with the flow and don't change lanes too much. Don't tailgate. You will likely get through it. Oh yes, my next door neighbor just moved up from Florida. He thinks Atlanta is paradise.