Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Middle Lane

I tend to stay in the middle lane when towing on I-70 (when it's three lanes). I think, this gives people the ability to pass me and also allows me to not get stuck behing 18-wheelers that have their emergency lights on.

I tow my 28 Safari up I-70 from Denver to the mountain towns time 90% of the time when we take a trip.

What lane do you tend to drive in when towing up steep grades in similiar situations?
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Depends on traffic flow. I'll be courteous and move right if there is not a lot of entering traffic or slow moving vehicles in the right lane. Also depends on how heavy the traffic is which would like to get around.

Common sense prevails with this subject IMHO.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Seems to me that this is highly traffic and terrain dependent, with a good deal to do with your towing speed and your rig's capabilities. I tow a smaller trailer (23') with a diesel, so my torque to weight ratio is good and I can accelerate with many cars - thus my experience may not match yours ...

I tend to drive at the local speed limit but unless there's a lot of slower traffic, I stay in the right lane as much as possible. This, however, gives me two disadvantageous results: first, in areas of heavy traffic (i.e. Atlanta, Chicago, L.A.), I sometimes get "stuck" in the right lane and can't pull out to pass for miles; annoying, but I just put up with it. And second, that means I do have to pull out to pass slower trucks and slower RVs a lot, especially on steeper mountain upgrades ... but it also means that while I'm in the right lane, I'm out of the way for those leadfooted left lane speed demons. It also means that on longer downgrades, when I'm letting the tow/haul function control my speed, semis going at seemingly crazy speeds sometimes/often pull out to zoom by me.

I think ya' can't have a fixed rule, but literally have to go with the flow.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
I agree about going with the flow. I find staying in the middle lane, most of the time on I-70 west, to be the best strategy.
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
In congested areas I have found the middle lane is the best as it avoids problems with merging traffic and also those sudden "exit only" lanes. You are also well positioned if the interstate splits either left or right.
I will stay to the right usually in less congested areas unless extremely hilly with slow moving trucks.
All this of course is assuming you are traveling pretty much with the traffic flow
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I agree with previous posters. My driving style is very condition dependant. I do like to keep to the right. But I often find that the right lane is beating me up. The heavy truck traffic tends to destroy that lane first. So if it's not too bad I will cruise the right lane. But in more conjested areas I prefer the center lane. Leaves the right lane open for merging traffic and I feel better prepared for those left exits that often pop up when you least expect them. Out on the open road though you will most often find me in the right lane.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Having learned to drive in the UK where keeping in left lane (right here, of course) is generally the thing to do, I do tend to keep to the right lane most of the time. In busy areas then the middle lane is sometimes better so that you don't get in the way of people joining the highway. I've yet to get used to being passed on both sides, though!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote