Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Short trips near home to learn the unit and work out the problems. Spend first night at the dealer so they can fix or explain things that don't work.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardleymoon View Post
what are your thoughts on a Hensley hitch?
Yeeeesssssss on the Hensley or PPP. After two cross country trips with a Blue Ox and Equalizer, both good hitches. I traded up for a Hensley, I wish I would have done it from the start. Your first or second hookup might be a little tricky. I started using the foot adjuster that is placed under the tongue Jack which Hensley threw in for free. It made it all that much easier. It’s an amazing hitch, which unfortunately costs a lot. …like an Airstream.

List of items…not the regular list:
Socket set with adjustable wrench and screwdriver with tips
Box cutter
Electrical tape
Duck tape
Wire strippers
Small pipe wrench
Needle nose pliers
Sealant
Plumbers tape
Multi meter/volt meter
Silicone spray
Graphite
Multi tool Hex wrench
Dielectric grease
Small tape measure
Small level
Road flares
Headlamp
Extra AA & AAA batteries.
200 grit sandpaper… sand sharp edges

Happy trails!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Blanket statements do not apply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcat View Post
Boondocker does not recommend towing with half tank of freshwater, says sloshing water is not your friend. Would love to hear the reason. We have not heard this before. We do follow all his other recommendations to the letter. RV travel to us is about the journey not the destination.
It's never been a problem for us. We have travelled many miles with both tanks 1/2 full.
YMMV with a single axle or AS with forward or rear biased tank location.
POI we always start with full FW tank.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Good Experience

It’s not as good as it once was but you will never notice the difference. New Service Manager has like no people skills ( Yes bring Brad Back Airsteam with a raise! ) new manager a transplant from a Freightliner truck shop. Normally I bond with techs as I was one this guy had has us upset along with many techs we know.

Funny how a well oiled service machine we have used for years can jam up with one person. The techs are super friendly as are the service writers. I hope the tours are back on and you get to see the new factory. Jackson center is a pleasant family town. People getting service will soon show you were to visit and eat.

Enjoy your trip safe travels.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcat View Post
Boondocker does not recommend towing with half tank of freshwater, says sloshing water is not your friend. Would love to hear the reason. We have not heard this before. We do follow all his other recommendations to the letter. RV travel to us is about the journey not the destination.

Remember that the OP is about rookies to towing. Rookies want every safety edge that can be had.

Reasoning: Physics. A half full tank allows water to slosh in maneuvers- some which may well be emergency ones. That slosh is a significant and dynamic redistribution of weight/force that can only add to the challenges of maintaining control of your rig. Imagine you have some sway beginning -be it from cross wind, inefficient weight distribution, whatever-- does any driver, much less one new to towing want that slosh? It could well be the difference between recovering from the sway undamaged vs being upside down in the median.

Do I say never do it? Not at all. With increased experience and knowledge of your your rig and fine tuning, half full tanks may well be within your and your rigs capacity. BUT starting out? Half full tanks are not your friend.

Disagree all you* want, but thats my take.

*The universal you, not a particular you.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #46

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Fingers crossed for your maiden trip

Best of luck w your new rig! Not sure of your planned route or interests but Buffalo National River in AR is very nice. Tulsa, Bartlesville area nice too. I have found TX state parks to be generally very good. Particularly like Davis Mtn and the tour of McDonald Observatory. There is also Big Bend of course and Santa Elena canyon hike if cool enough. Albuquerque has an Airstream dealer if needed. VLA in Soccoro mentioned above is interesting. They used to have a Saturday tour once a month. We like Sunny Acres RV park and the KOA in Las Cruces (good bike path). Also, make reservations at Catalina SP in Tucson. If you are inclined and weather is cool enough, head to Organ Pipe Cactus NM south of Ajo on the border 2.5 hrs from Tucson. Lovely campground and desert drive there well worth it. Drive safe!
Tweetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
Write down all the little things, closing and locking windows, putting fridge on gas and not electric, tire pressure, etc. Be honest with yourself and don’t just glance at the list. Be like an airline pilot with his list. You can’t count on your memory.
I used to fly small planes for fun. There was a checklist for every procedure, even seemingly simple things like approach (to the airport) or fueling up. You develop a cadence, set of steps, and a way of wording that your home airport ATC staff recognizes. And they learn to ask you (because you seem to know what you’re doing) to look out for some guy approaching the airport who hasn’t bothered to use his radio. Those checklists were designed to keep me from being a danger to myself, my passengers, and those around me. I look at the AS checklists in the same way.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I’d recommend a campground in downtown Little Rock. You can cross the River on a walking bridge and you cans tour the Clinton Library. Avoid going through Dallas/Fort Worth. Camp at Monahans State Park then turn left and go to Big Bend NP.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Check out truck alignment shops for new axles. We had a truck shop do ours with no problems even though they had to fab a new set of brackets. New axles have been great. Much better tow.

New to trailers as a couple? Go find a place to work on backing and your communication via a mirror.
Thiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Watch the weather:
"According to the National Weather Service, as of 9 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14, the Tucson International Airport had recorded 2.15 inches of rain, pushing the monsoon total to 11.30 inches and making 2021 the third wettest monsoon on record in Tucson. The yearly rainfall total stands at 12.34 inches which also makes 2021 the third wettest year to date.

A flash flood watch remains in effect until 2 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 17, for all of southeast Arizona."
Monsoon season runs to the end of September.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Calvert , Texas
I imagine this is something your restorer did, but wheel bearings should be checked and possibly repacked. A friend of mine lost a flatbed trailer on Saturday due to this.

If you travel through Texas, keep in mind that you can overnight at any rest stop for free (although no facilities such as power or water). Texas has formal rest stops on freeways with bathrooms and water, and tons of picnic rest stops on small highways (no water or bathrooms).
jrumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #52
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
As others have said: CHECKLISTS.

FWIW, our pre-departure checklist is attached. Using it has more than once prevented us from accidentally damaging our trailer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream FC 27FBQ - Pre-Departure Checklist.pdf (67.0 KB, 19 views)
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post

New to trailers as a couple? Go find a place to work on backing and your communication via a mirror.
YES! Backing into a campsite will test your marriage. Two way radios are your friend.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #54
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
As others have said: CHECKLISTS.

FWIW, our pre-departure checklist is attached. Using it has more than once prevented us from accidentally damaging our trailer.
That's a great list! Thanks for sharing

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroll View Post
Two way radios are your friend.
...because cell service at many campgrounds is slim to none.

Work out your communication with your co-pilot. Don't let anyone else "help".
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #56
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardleymoon View Post
thanks. wish we could take it out on a shorter shakedown. bought it from a couple who rehabbed it during yr 1 of Covid. taking it home to AZ from TN. Hope bugs have been worked out prior to pick up. fingers crossed.
btw ,what is a "3 rivet member"?
Rivets are issued based on post count

Regarding your very long shake down trip...

Begin with some short days. Make sure you understand how your braking system and controller work. On your first couple of nights try to get a pull through site. Unhitch. Hitch the next day. Ease into this...

I would check tire dates (replace if more than 5-6 years old), make sure your hitch is properly set up (before you hit the road), buy new water hose, inline water filter (attach to hose) and sewer hose. Make sure you have packed chocks and blocks and some tools.

Pack nitrile gloves, sewer chemicals and a sense of humor. You have some learning ahead of you.

The issue with axles is that at about 30 years, they begin to flatten out and loose their bounce protection. Your ride will be rougher and hard on the trailer. It's typical to have to replace them. If you're handy this can be a do it yourself job. You may not need to do this asap but it will be on the horizon.

You can do this - it will be some work but it will also be fun. welcome to the adventure.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote