Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avion Saga - from bawdy house to sanctuary?

First thing I want to say is KUDOS AND MUCH KARMA to Larry & Lou Woodruff (LOUDRUFF) who helped me buy this Avion from 4 states away. Lou was wonderfully supportive and made several good suggestions but was wonderfully tactful about the curtains. (Perhaps I should send her a set when I have the new ones finished.... the dogs would probably have too much good taste to lie on them!).

To top it off Larry made a special trip from his home in LaGrange to come to Wadsworth and install the Reese Dual Cam Hitch I'd bought to tow the big beast home. Larry really knew what he was doing - and has the biggest drill driver I've ever seen! He got it all rigged on Monday, then when I started out I noticed severe shimmy at any speed over 40 - so I drove the Avion to his house and he worked another hour or two adjusting the hitch to make it safer. We both think that the front end of the trailer needed about 600 lbs of Quickrete concrete mix to get enough weight forward, but with the final adjustments the shimmy was only apparent at speeds above 55-60 mph, and then mostly when headed downhill. Those trucks with the skirts and the fins on the back are noticeably worse even for my smaller Airstream, but they gave me a few "near my God to thee" moments yesterday and today with the big Avion.

On the trip I found out something I guess I just kind of ignored about my integrated brake controller on the 2013 F-150. I had one really bad tail sway and suddenly there was this loud noise behind me and the trailer was tracking true again.... then it repeated the whole thing when another big truck passed too close and way too fast. That time I noticed that in the speedometer area a message appeared saying that the brake controller had locked down on it's own because of detected sway. KOOL! I actually had already manually locked the brakes a few times myself - and did it several more times on the road from LaGrange Ohio to Baltimore. At all times I tried to stay in the right hand lane - and I turned the flashers on at the slightest excuse.

Best Part of the trip - I pulled into a rest area and there was a newer 25 FB with WBCCI numbers on it parked nearby. The owner came trotting over very fast and asked me if I'd like to join... and then "moment of horror" noticed... Wait... What the HAY-ELL? What IS THAT? AVION? The look on his face - priceless (something like a guy who just realizes the girl he's trying to pick up in a bar has an adam's apple.)

I explained that I also have an Eddie Bauer which I love. Poor guy has only been an Airstreamer for about six months and didn't know anything about the "silver sisters" "vintage cousins" or Airforums. If he gets over the shock, we may see him here.

Second Best part of the trip - Succeeded in backing the monster into Frank's gate. More delusions of adequacy building! I think it actually IS a bit easier to back than a 25'er - if you have enough room to turn the thing that is! Even Frank was surprised at how big that 10 meter is.

There will be many many pictures. The interior will be brought into this century - but most of the comfort and all of the sturdiness of the old stuff will be retained.

The Avion itself is a 1984 10.2 meter rear bedroom model. It's in pretty much original shape with only a few obvious "Previous Owners - what were they thinking?" changes - like a house toilet and fridge, and it did NOT have mauve flowered upholstery - it was gray flowered, which had faded to a dirty tan. One piece on the bottom of the sleeper couch shows the original color - and is still in it's original plastic wrapping. The PO did have curtains made ... out of BURLAP (not kidding) with blue zigzags on it - and whoever did the sewing - dear heaven I hope she was drunk. I'd hate to think anyone over seven could sew that badly when sober. I'm sure Frank will be able to use them to clean his hands after packing wheel bearings!

The trailer is now in Frank Yensan's place getting a thorough going over for mechanical soundness, and then a removal of some of the more "French Provencal whorehouse" details - actually more of a time warp that looked dated even in 1984. This one wasn't as bad as some, it does lack the bronzed antiqued mirrors that are such a "feature" on some of them. It also does have a new air conditioner and brand new tires and new AGM batteries, so... pretty much good to go.

I gotta say - driving the PA turnpike and I-695 are NOT my favorite routes - especially with a strange trailer that has "quirks". The F-150 did a remarkably good job pulling uphill and down... but I still think I'll have an eye out for a GMC 1 ton when the Avion is ready to roll.

Wonder if they'll let me come to the Can Opener?

Paula
Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
How can you talk about curtains like that, and then NOT POST A PICTURE???? Argh!!!

In other news - the integrated brake controllers in truck nowadays are pretty cool.
Eric
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Glad you arrived safely.

We look forward to pictures!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
tooo stupid to post tonight... need much zzzzz , will try in AM
Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
What an adventure!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Nighty night! I know how you feel! We made a 2000 mile round trip in less than 72 hrs when we went to get our Avion.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
TW on my 30p is very light. Have not weighed it but it is less than my 25fB AS was. Avions seem to be set up with weight distribution more equal front to rear than AS. Mine tows better than the AS did, no sway, but the hitch had to be set up just right. When the dealer set up my hitch it actually took too much weight off the rear of the truck. They anticipated a huge tw, not the case.tw on mine according to factory is less than 700 pounds. Have not weighed it but from past experience I believe that is close to accurate, a lot less than the AS was. Just a different way of designing a trailer and weight distribution, I think ten percent on the tongue is enough with the Avion balance and suspension.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, Paula!

Looking forward to pics.

Maggie
Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
According to Avion specs the dry hitch weight on your 34 should be right a 750 pounds. You probably have aluminum 40 pound lp tanks and your water tank is either above the axles or partially behind. The suspension should give a totally different feel when towing. Feels as if the trailer is floating and the tw is too light. Get a weight if you can, but with a good hitch you should have no problems. Trailer should be either level or ever so slightly down in the front. I tow my 30 with a one ton and I do not need a wd hitch because the tw is light. I use a dual sway control and have the wd set up as lightly as possible, even though it is not needed. The sway control us always a good idea. You can have your suspension checked for alignment, there are adjustments that can be made but everything should be okay unless someone damaged it. The thing should pull behind you better than the EB. Good luck. Jim
Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
How about some photos of the new beast?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
For more info on your model Google aviontravelcade club. They gave a year to year listing. Think the weight on yours is listed at about 7500 pounds. You can check. They also have listed owners manuals for modt models. Worth a look. Thanks,jim
Old 04-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
Paula
Congratulations on getting it home. I agree with others that you should be able to adjust the hitch to tow comfortably without the issues you experienced. Then you can come to canopener so my Avion will not be the only one there like it was last year. Jarrod
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Best Part of the trip - I pulled into a rest area and there was a newer 25 FB with WBCCI numbers on it parked nearby. The owner came trotting over very fast and asked me if I'd like to join... and then "moment of horror" noticed... Wait... What the HAY-ELL? What IS THAT? AVION? The look on his face - priceless (something like a guy who just realizes the girl he's trying to pick up in a bar has an adam's apple.)
- wiping coffee off the keyboard on that one!

Hey I know Lou and Larry - camped out in their yard one time - Good folks.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Come on Down to Canopener

Paula,

Hitch up that Avion and come on down to Canopener. Your new trailer be the hit during the open house. Plus you will have a great time.

When the Avion is finished, consider bringing Eddie to Virginia Highland Haven for an extended stay.

Looking forward to meeting you somewhere down the road.

Susan
sunnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Does it look like this - no! Will it, no but not like it looks now.
http://www.colonialairstream.com/use.../images/11.jpg
Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Hey Sister, If you get that new GMC, can I have your hand-me-down truck? Huh, huh, can I ?
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
hope these pictures post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150414_181006.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	237443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_141546.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	237444  

Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
beautiful? curtains
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	237452  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks better than some new Airstreams. Looks pretty clean to me. Looks like a good find. I am sure you will enjoy making it yours.

The Avions around here are asking more than the Airstreams go for.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb View Post
Hey Sister, If you get that new GMC, can I have your hand-me-down truck? Huh, huh, can I ?
Dear SIS, I'd have to trade IN the Ford to get the GMC.