Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
2019 1/2 Basecamp X - Just purchased - suggestions?

Has the new NovaKool frig, so I bought it.
I've had 4 or 5 AS before but nothing like the X.

Questions:
1. No sewer hose from AS???
I thought that was a joke but dealer said "Nope"!

What length flex hose will fit in that storage tube?

2. No Jack - I'll come up with something.

3. For $44K+ dollars - NO back up camera?
What have others done about this?
Looks like it could be a bear to install one at this point, yet I want one!

4. OK, then I see the cheap ceiling exhaust fan with no rain sensor.
Will the Fantastic Fan, model number please, with rain sensor just drop in if I remove the unit installed by AS?

5. Rear door seems to "stick" if trying to open from outside. Hoping this will resolve after a few uses. Is this common?
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao View Post

Questions:

What length flex hose will fit in that storage tube?
I haven't seen a sewer hose included with any travel trailer from the factory in at least twenty years, if ever. If a previous new trailer came with a sewer hose, it was because the dealer bought it and gave it to you.
You should be able to get up to a fifteen foot hose in the tube, depending on brand and end fittings. The ones with the orange ends will not fit, don't even try.
Quote:

2. No Jack - I'll come up with something.
Try using the jack that came with your truck. Don't jack on the axle tube itself.
Quote:

3. For $44K+ dollars - NO back up camera?
What have others done about this?
Looks like it could be a bear to install one at this point, yet I want one!
It doesn't matter how much the trailer costs, there is no way to mount any kind of camera on the back. The area above the rear door is plastic, and would be impossible to seal to prevent leaks, IF you don't crack the plastic drilling and attaching the camera. Then, it would be at a horrible angle to view anything. A license plate mounted camera might be a solution, but the contacts in the door are barely enough to provide power to the single LED tag light.
Quote:

4. OK, then I see the cheap ceiling exhaust fan with no rain sensor.
Will the Fantastic Fan, model number please, with rain sensor just drop in if I remove the unit installed by AS?
You can do this, but bear in mind the trailer is intended for minimalist use, including power consumption. The Fantastic with rain sensor and lift motor draw power all the time unless physically switched off, and then the lift and rain sensor won't work. Personally, I'd rather use less power throughout the trailer, including the fan, and know there will be enough to keep my 12v fridge running while I'm out exploring and not plugged in somewhere.
Quote:

5. Rear door seems to "stick" if trying to open from outside. Hoping this will resolve after a few uses. Is this common?
Part of that is the new gasket needing a little more effort to work around. Try pushing in on the door slightly when unlatching the door, to help keep some pressure off the latch.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Thanks Terry!
1. The orange one is what I had saved on Amazon! LOL!
Any brand or link to one with fittings that will fit into the tube on the BSX?

2. I'll dig around in the truck and see what Ford gave me. I'm aware that to jack the rig I must place the jack at the prescribed locations.

3. Back up camera for a chap that is almost always solo isn't an issue of convenience, but rather safety. I'll find a way.

4. Hmmm, ok, then the Camco Roof Vent cover would allow me to leave the rig with the fan on low just to keep some airflow and if it rains I don't come back to a wet trailer interior. Also, I keep power to the BCX when at home and that will allow air flow there as well. That should work.

5. Makes sense, I should have thought of that myself. Will see this morning if that resolves the issue. I also have some seal preservative I've used for decades on auto trim rubber seals and will try that to eliminate the seal from being as "sticky".

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
After just two days with the rig, my thinking is to have the bed permanently set up. I don't spend much time in any RV, even it raining I'm out scouting sites for a photo.

Thus, now thinking about stowage under the bed area.
Figure I need to put in some kind of removable retaining devices, bungie cords or straps to D-Rings I'll install.

Curious what others have done with this logic, and space.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
After just two days with the rig, my thinking is to have the bed permanently set up. I don't spend much time in any RV, even it raining I'm out scouting sites for a photo.

Thus, now thinking about stowage under the bed area.
Figure I need to put in some kind of removable retaining devices, bungie cords or straps to D-Rings I'll install.

Curious what others have done with this logic, and space.
There's quite a bit of storage under the curbside bed that will become difficult to use if you leave the bed permanently set up.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dealer Worth His Salt

Quote:

Questions:
The dealer isn't worth his salt if he didn't give you at least a "Startup Kit" that included a cheap but usable sewer hose, some toilet paper and a lavender smelling sewer packet
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There's quite a bit of storage under the curbside bed that will become difficult to use if you leave the bed permanently set up.
True, and I have pondered that fact but I think it will be more annoying to setup and break down that bed every night.

Due to my height, I don't think I can comfortable sleep with the 1/2 bed setup which would leave the starboard side of the BCX as a couch. I will give it a try to see if I'm right by trying to take a nap in the BCX in my driveway in the next couple of days.

But there is a lot of space UNDER the fully setup bed as well and I think a trip to Walmart to check out the assortment of storage bins that will fit is next on my list to do.

Time will tell.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
The dealer isn't worth his salt if he didn't give you at least a "Startup Kit" that included a cheap but usable sewer hose, some toilet paper and a lavender smelling sewer packet
In defense of the dealer, I really beat them up on the price given the fact the rig has the new frig in it. I'm not complaining!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
True, and I have pondered that fact but I think it will be more annoying to setup and break down that bed every night.

Due to my height, I don't think I can comfortable sleep with the 1/2 bed setup which would leave the starboard side of the BCX as a couch. I will give it a try to see if I'm right by trying to take a nap in the BCX in my driveway in the next couple of days.

But there is a lot of space UNDER the fully setup bed as well and I think a trip to Walmart to check out the assortment of storage bins that will fit is next on my list to do.

Time will tell.

Height is a true detriment for RV'ers. At 6'2" I had to hold out for a 76" long bed. Plus, inside my class b I can only stand fully erect when I position the top of my head directly under the ceiling recess of my Maxxfan. It's my little place of refuge and where my shaving mirror is mounted.

My parents, on the other hand, were only 5'6". They traveled for many years sleeping in a cross-ways bed and enjoying spacious headroom in their class b. They never felt the constraints of us taller people.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
The customer was provided a gift certificate to help pay for those items at the time he purchased the trailer.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
And I made good use of the gift certificate in the parts department.
My experience with this dealer was the best of the 5 AS's I've purchased in my life.

jb
Old 10-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Hartford , Wisconsin
Bed modification

Quote:

Time will tell.
Check the facebook sites on Basecamps, there you will find a really effective, simple bed modification which is a real game-changer.
basecampbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecampbuds View Post
Check the facebook sites on Basecamps, there you will find a really effective, simple bed modification which is a real game-changer.
How about a link to same a lot of time searching?
There are several Basecamp sites on Facebook.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 AM   #14

Currently Looking...
Cedar Hill , Texas
Talking

Facebook Basecamp group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/281274692353937/
Facebook Basecamp Owners group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1908989342757613/

I don't own a Basecamp, but I'm hopeful.
jcator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Hartford , Wisconsin
Quote:
How about a link to same a lot of time searching?
There are several Basecamp sites on Facebook.
You can begin by going to the 'Airstream Basecamp' fb page, search 'bed mod video' and that will introduce you to the topic. Lots of additional info by searching 'bed mod' for original posts from June of last year. If I was better at this computer stuff, I would include a direct link, but... worth a look!
basecampbuds is offline   Reply With Quote