Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Base Camp
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Chandler , Arizona
Unhappy 2018 BC solar issues

Hi all!

We just got our new BC a little over a month ago and we are still checking things out in the driveway. And good thing because we've had a lot of little things wrong with it but he's almost ready to take a 10 day trip to Cali from AZ in January. (It's a HE because we named him 'Gort')

OKAY, the problem. Only twice since we've had it have we been about to force it into the charge mode. Now the batteries are at 11.9 volts (dual sealed) and the panels show 20 volts in the sun. Since it still doesn't think charging is a good idea and all roads lead to it I'm thinking it's a simple case of the solar charge controller is defective.

Things I've tried. Of course, following the manual to force charge by selecting the bottom item 'n_c' and pressing the button until it starts flashing. I disconnected and reconnected power and panels from the charge controller to see if that would 'reset' it. I've made sure all voltages are as they should be. And once we got it to charge we hear the tell tail click of the relay so we know it can work...just doesn't.

Any other suggestions from the real AS experts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6712.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	300212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1463.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	300213  

AI7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
1. Are you measuring the battery and PV voltage directly across the terminals of the charger? If not, can you please report your measurements when the sun is shining?

2. Is your blue jumper wire cut? From the photo it doesn't appear so. With sealed batteries the manual says it should be cut - to lower the thresholds.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Chandler

We're sorry to learn about the issue you described in your 2018 Basecamp. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #4

2018 Basecamp
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Angry Similar Electrical Issue - BC 2018

So - I seem to have similar issues with my 2018 BC - I had the unit charging on power and seemed to work fine. We hooked up and took it tailgating. Ready to set up and no power at all. Seems like a short - I switched on and off the master power and for the heck of it the pump. After messing with the pump switch we had power - battery showed about 12.2 but then went out after a few minutes. I then tried hooking up the car since it seemed to have power when that was connected. Had power and was able to get heat going to get us thru the night (my wife was ready to get a hotel room at this point). And no - we didn't bring the generator and no ground power was available from where we were parked. Somewhere in the middle of the night - after 5 or 6 hours the power went out and wouldn't come back on. In the am I was able to borrow a generator and everything worked fine. I just dropped off at the AS dealer to see if they can Id the problem. Note - after 4 weeks of having the unit parked I checked it out and the power is working when I took it in. Since this is inconsistent I am hopeful they can find the issue. This is a unit with solar panels.

Anyone else have similar issues?
Davesnums is offline   Reply With Quote