Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
In this day and age, I would sure be careful. I build a house in the country 5 years ago and it did not cost much for a septic tank and leach field all legal and safe.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Made our "septic" for dog kennels 5' deep hole with gravel, bottom cut out of 55gal with 4-6" dirt on top, drum sunk in ground and 8" below top was the top of a hole where 100' perforated pipe exited and buried 1' below grade. Top had a "gutter" which the waste entered.

This supported a kennel with 11 dogs, in South Louisiana with lots of rain. No stink unless really close with nose. Lasted over 20 year still and still going when we sold the place.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
I have a piece of property we plan to "boondock" at this summer for a couple months. It will have water
If the source of your water is a well make sure your septic is a good distance away from the well, or any wells for that matter. Here in NM code is 100' between the septic system and the well.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
fine won't be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Please take some of the advice here with a grain of salt. Do it properly. Check with other locals even the county officials and see what is exceptable in the area.
'cause somebody gonna see what you're doing and call the sheriff who's gonna fine you for violating county health code.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Worse, with the EPA about to expand it's regulations via the clean water act, you could be facing serious jail time or fines in excess of $10K if you are in any violation of the EPA's regs. Won't matter if the stream is on private property or not. And won't matter if you're using a DIY cat hole or not, if it's not far enough away, or doesn't met the rules, game over, life ruined.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I am genuinely trying to do this "right" or at least "smart." It's funny though; the Health Dept everyone cites and their regulations have a funny way of making it soooooooo much easier to do it the "wrong" way. Since this is a public forum, I'm going to leave further comments on my intentions going forward to myself. I will check applicable regulations and adhere to them.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
PLEASE don't dump it in or near the stream. Not only would you be adding human waste to the riparian ecosystem, it is also most likely illegal in all states.

Please consider a dry well or the 55 gal. drum system that others suggested.

And I should clarify that when I say the stream would help dilute things down, I only mean that any liquid that happens to percolate that direction. I would NOT dump into the stream directly for any reason. However, the stream is formed from the runoff of a cow pasture above it.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Legal or not there is correct way to this non polluting. Septic systems aren't cheap, 8 and up. If you have solid wastes you need a septic tank, this traps solids, promotes bacteria that will help break down things. It also has a baffle system that traps the solids and only allows water to drain out and that goes into a drain field, usually perforated pipe in a bed with crushed stone. Legally before you do this you need a perc test that calculates how quickly or easily water will percolate away. In some cases it's not fast enough to allow a septic and you need to install a holding tank, in others it's too fast and you have to do other things. You could install a "outlaw" system that works properly and doesn't hurt or pollute but you'd have to know what you were doing and where the water table is and what sort of drainage you have. It's involved, frankly I don't care if it's legal or not just that it doesn't pollute. Local codes do vary some but be prepared.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Are you kidding me- a septic system??? Crap in a toddler diaper placed in a bucket and put them in a dumpster with rest of the trash. Diapers are biodegradable and land fills now have special liners. Solution is not to make any black water. City/county rules and the EPA regs were all written by BCAs
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Last check, dirty baby diapers were not illegal!!!!!! But somebody will make a rule requiring scraping the poop into a city certified toilet. How many years did humans survive without regulations????
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Well, we did have cholera and typhus, really miss those...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A cheaper way than a bona fide septic system is an above ground vault. Kind of a super black tank. Paint it camo and call in a pumper when it's full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=BeskbiJjCXI
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Mike: Just in case a user (pooper) may have been exposed to and carry cholera or typhus etc. put in a septic system and have it checked daily for many diseases. Otherwise do something else. See my post # 19

If you line your existing toilet with a toddler diaper - here's a sign for the bath wall:

If you pee - let it be
If you poo - no shame on you
(don' leave diaper-replace it with a clean one HINT: FOLD, TAPE & TRASH YOURS FIRST
Old 06-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, we did have cholera and typhus, really miss those...

Mike
I was thinking the same thing, from the days when chamber pots were emptied into city streets.

There's a reason that is no longer allowed.

If I had no other option, I would dig a deep hole....or ask someone nicely to do it for me......dump in there, and fill it in.

The diaper idea is interesting, but aren't the landfills already full of these items, that don't break down?

Underground.

Maggie
Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 PM   #35
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When we were raising kids, our 3 sons wore cotton diapers... in the 70's and early 80's..

We did use the 'disposable' type when we travelled long distances where we would not have access to proper washateria...which was only OUR home washer. Yes, the dirties went in the toilet..

When we were 'in the country' where 'open burning' took place, we would immolate the mess..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Well, we made it. After spending the summer at this location I'm glad to say that we did not have to dig a septic system and we did not have to dump illegally. It turns out the neighbors are super nice people and were more than happy to let us dump our tanks in their septic system. I bought a 32 gal portable tank and used a tractor to pull it up the hill. Got waaaaaay more poopy water on me than I thought I would but it worked out!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:39 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In desert climates some people use evaporation pools for gray water. Actually a couple of kiddie pools work fine. That and a composting toilet make a great combo, little if anything to cart away or bury or disburse. No splashy poopy on shoes, either.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

We actually just let the gray water go into the field. It was a slight hill so the water disbursed easily and within a few hours was completely gone. The grass grew a LOT better in that area too.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
Agree, composting toilet.
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #40
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
For black tank, composting toilet is an excellent (and the only viable) short-term solution ... a proper septic system is the only viable long-term solution for black and gray. Remember, even septic system has a tank that needs to be pumped when the solids tank fills up. The septic drain field is only for liquids. IMHO it's unconscionable to think about dumping black any other way--regardless of whether or not it's your property. There's a reason why "the code" exists.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote