Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Boondocking near La Veta pass

Hey all, thanks to some great recommendations from fellow streamers, we had an amazing trip to the sand dunes last week! After being out that way it made me realize how much I crave being in the trees when we get settled. Does anyone have any good boondock areas around La Veta pass or in that vicinity that they like? We don’t need hookups and would love to just be in national forest so we can cut our own wood and let the dog run!

Stream on!!
lewishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
There are plenty of Boondocking Off the Grid locations in the National Forest.

Problem for you is access. Trailers up to 25 feet have maybe 40% of access to remote National Forest OTG sites. They are usually set up for Tent Campers or short trailers carrying supplies, like outfitters. Getting in is easy. Getting out, not so easy.

A 31 foot Airstream will be dragging its rear bumper and possible get you hung up in a small dip, needing to lift the axles to clear with the possibility of worse road ahead, or by changing direction giving your rear bumper worse positiioning.

I suggest you keep yourself focused on Commercial Campsites with access for a 31 foot trailer.

An alternative is when you discover a Commercial Campground is to drive into an area that you would like to camp and judge the access. I am experienced in this area and found Tent Camping was my best option. Sticking close to the highway.

You will discover when trailer is in tow... that your judgment will be compromised with the length and your first observations missing important obstacles.

The Great Sand Dunes has a campsite, but we tent camped it. Check with them with a telephone call first... before diverting that way. There are some areas where experienced Boondockers avoid due to access. Good luck. This is about as positive I can be from experience. Someone may have found an area that you can access. Myself... just check it out before towing into an area. The turning around may put you in a real 'pinch'.

Bring one or two long handled branch trimmers to avoid scratching your polished finish on the Forest Service Roads. When you find an area... tell us about your experience.

We had better luck traveling west on Highway 50 along areas along the river. Even then you have to be watching for the turn and quick thinking to pick your options of a spot. Much like Gold Camp Road west of Colordo Springs. I would not drive it with just my 4x4 with the traffic and accidents from too many people and inexperience driving narrow roads and not looking ahead for oncoming traffic...