Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
2019 30' Classic
2021 23' Globetrotter
2021 Atlas
Flagstaff , Arizona
Red face Refrigerator fan/battery

We have a 2017 25Ft international. We are on our 3rd set of batteries. The first replacements I chalked up to the fact that the dealer was not keeping them charged. Replaced with interstate deep cycle batteries and installed 100 watt solar on the roof to keep the batteries charged when storing. Noticed that when we were boon docking the batteries would be down to 50% by morning and we were not running only furnace which is propane. Was careful to keep all things electric off. After about a year the batteries would not keep a full charge. Replaced them with some inexpensive deep cycle batteries from AutoZone and went out for a couple days. This time had nothing but the refrigerator which is running on propane and then the fan. Same thing began happening. Since we have had the trailer the fan for the refrigerator runs about 80% of the time. I wonder if that is the culprit? Should the fan be running that much? We have the refrigerator set to #3 which is mid cooling point.
This is our first airstream/trailer experience so any help would be very much appreciated.
77domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
A couple of thoughts.

I think it's unlikely that the refrigerator fan alone, if it's working properly, would cause the battery depletion you have described. For one thing, the refrigerator fan doesn't (or shouldn't) be running all or even 80% of the time. It's thermostatically controlled and should only run when ambient temperatures are relatively high: the fan in our 2017 Flying Cloud rarely ran at night in cooler climates, for example. Maybe you need to check the little thermostatic switch which controls fan operation. You can test it's function with a cold pack and a hair dryer. It's probably located in the compartment behind the fridge. Of course, when the trailer is in storage the refrigerator and fan shouldn't be operating at all, so if the battery is draining then, your problem is elsewhere.

Also, if I understood you correctly, you mentioned that you didn't expect the battery to drop to 50% overnight when running your propane furnace. FWIW, keep in mind that the furnace fan is a big energy hog and can easily run down your battery on a cold night.

Anyway, I suspect you may have some other culprit which is draining your battery. You don't, by chance, leave your power inverter switched on...? Light left on in an exterior cargo compartment...? Good luck.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Refrigerator fan/battery

Out here in the high desert areas of California the fridge compartment gets hot enough in storage with the fridge turned off to click on the fan. I have to unplug it so it stays off. I run vent fans to cool the trailer during the day. Solar charging maintains the batteries and I have to leave the switch in “use” to get fans to run.

Yes, a fridge fan switch with a pilot light is on the improvements list already.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Install a Victron 712 battery monitor
It will tell you how much current you are drawing and how much battery life you have left,
There are many other things in your Airstream that draw current
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have friends whose Airstream, with a Dometic refrigerator, had a heating element in the refrig. door gasket. I don't recall just what the purpose was for but it managed to take a bite out of the battery rather quickly. Look carefully and try to find out if your's may also have this. The solution was to trace the wiring diagram and isolate the power source at the panel in the refrigerator compartment and install a switch on that wire so you can selectively disable the power to this function and halt the power drain.

If your's does not have this function then continue looking for the source

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
2019 30' Classic
2021 23' Globetrotter
2021 Atlas
Flagstaff , Arizona
Talking Thanks

Thanks for all the information. Wasn't aware that the furnace fan was such an energy hog, live and learn!
77domer is offline   Reply With Quote