Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
One Piece Door Skin Replacement?

The main door on the bunkhouse originally had four pieces of skin and a jalousie window.

We’re eliminating the window.

Is there any reason that I can’t reskin the frame with a single piece of aluminum on the exterior and interior?
Krek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I see no reason why you can’t. It would be nice to have a screen door like they had in the 60s. I think if I were to do as you are wanting to do, I would segment the interior skin and place a rectangular piece at the interior lockset. I would use rivnuts and pan head #6 screws so I could access the lockset mechanism some day if it breaks without having to drill out a bunch of rivets. We re-skinned the 55 door within a door and it was pretty simple. We did have to put a slight bend around the skin for a tight fit. Also, don’t know if any support would be needed where the jalousie was.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
If you do not want a window in the door there is no reason not to re-skin the inside and outside of your door. It would be a good idea to clean up and rebuild the hinges, handels, locks, nobs and latches as well. You will have a brand new door.

After all that work, don't forget to make yourself a "door wedge"
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ge-200171.html

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
I would segment the interior skin and place a rectangular piece at the interior lockset. I would use rivnuts and pan head #6 screws so I could access the lockset mechanism some day if it breaks without having to drill out a bunch of rivets.
That's some quality advice right there, thanks!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Perpetually Perplexed

Mobile Rail Bunkhouse
Farmington , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
If you do not want a window in the door there is no reason not to re-skin the inside and outside of your door. It would be a good idea to clean up and rebuild the hinges, handels, locks, nobs and latches as well. You will have a brand new door.
I can't find a replacement window for the door and our current camper has a solid door so we're pretty confident that we won't miss it.

I've already sourced replacement stainless steel hinges and I'm looking at options for the lockset.

The inside of the door frame has some aluminum bracing which I want to fortify and had several dozen loose 1.5 x 1.5 inch pieces of pine... not sure what their purpose was?