Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Shelf front original?

The selves in my front cabinet have a piece of trim attached. (I assume it's attached to help stuff stay on the shelf for traveling.) Is this original or PO's?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf front.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	95682  
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
The selves in my front cabinet have a piece of trim attached. (I assume it's attached to help stuff stay on the shelf for traveling.) Is this original or PO's?

Thanks!
I have a similar setup in the 60 Caravel. Original.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Someday

Why not ask all on these questions on ONE thread instead of starting so many individual ones? Like "Today's Someday Question of the Day"!!!

Also spend some time searching AND researching the Overlander threads and pictures.
All of these questions have been answered many times over-lander.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Someday

Why not ask all on these questions on ONE thread instead of starting so many individual ones? Like "Today's Someday Question of the Day"!!!

Also spend some time searching AND researching the Overlander threads and pictures.
All of these questions have been answered many times over-lander.
Really??? So many different threads??? Three posts total...hardly flooding the forums! I don't think this is a very welcoming post towards a newbie...besides, I actually prefer to have individual questions posted rather than a flurry of them in one post. Makes it easier to answer (& search) them and less likely to have them lost in the shuffle of a long disjointed thread.

Whatever...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Really??? So many different threads??? Three posts total...hardly flooding the forums! I don't think this is a very welcoming post towards a newbie...besides, I actually prefer to have individual questions posted rather than a flurry of them in one post. Makes it easier to answer (& search) them and less likely to have them lost in the shuffle of a long disjointed thread.

Whatever...

Shari
I agree.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
I agree with Shari. Not everyone on here has been on since before fire was discovered. Let others enjoy learing the forums without scaring them off.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
SEARCHING for answers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Whatever...

Shari
You are right. I should have said welcome first.

I was being impatient as there were three minor questions in three seperate threads on the same page.

BUT..... I did offer helpful information about the many sources of photos and infomation contained here. Seems there has been a wave of these multiple one question threads of late. I have answered many and they are not responded to. And disappear after one day.

I am not suggesting multiple questions in one post are a good idea either. I agree that long epic first posts are also ignored. But one question in ONE thread as a continuation of the project would be better then so many new threads with one question.

So, threads with three or four responses before fading away are OK with everyone?

Serial multiple thread starters with minor one question and redunant questions with easy questions are also EASY for people to ask. It can be time consuming to dig in to existing threads to find the version of the answer many are looking for.

It would be better if more people did some research first on the very basics of their project without watering down the subjects at hand.

And I did offer advice to Someday. While both you and Adonh just chime in to tell me I am not being helpful? How does that get Someday answers?

Gary
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Dumb Questions....???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
I agree with Shari. Not everyone on here has been on since before fire was discovered. Let others enjoy learing the forums without scaring them off.
To say that I am only a little intimidated (about asking any more questions on this forum) would be an understatement. I'm not sure what un-watered down questions I'm supposed to be asking. So many of the HARD problems are already answered... and the information is readily available.

Can anyone recommend a forum where I can ask beginner, obviously uneducated, watered down questions?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
To say that I am only a little intimidated (about asking any more questions on this forum) would be an understatement. I'm not sure what un-watered down questions I'm supposed to be asking. So many of the HARD problems are already answered... and the information is readily available.

Can anyone recommend a forum where I can ask beginner, obviously uneducated, watered down questions?

Someday'59, Ask whatever question you want. Don't let any one person intimidate you. This is the forum you want.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
Welcome to the forums. Ask as many questions as you need. We were all noobies at one time. Theres so much to learn about your AS. And thgis forum is the place to find your answers.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:

Someday
First of all Welcome.

This is interesting that my response and suggestions have been taken this way. I apologzie if if was too blunt. Nowhere did I suggest any question was dumb or uneducated. Really now!

By "watered down" I was referring to the number of threads with one question contained in each. It is MY opinion that your question will be less likely to be seen and answered as it is pushed off the main page by many others and even your multiple threads. And by the fact that this information MAY have been asked before so many times that many here no longer contribute advice. This is a fact but others will disagree. There is a wealth of knowledge here and history covering all parts of Airstreaming.

Do you want a "hit or miss" approach" or a multi layered answer covered it great detail? It is up to you.

Once again this is only my opinion...and I did offer suggestions on searching subject threads and photos. That was advice, right?

Go to www.vintageairstream.com RJ Dial's website and click on ARCHIVES section to review models and year details. This is a great resource.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
lol...if only more people would post pictures of the insides of their cabinets.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
...and I did offer suggestions on searching subject threads and photos. That was advice, right?

Go to www.vintageairstream.com RJ Dial's website and click on ARCHIVES section to review models and year details. This is a great resource.

Good luck
I too have found www.vintageairstrem.com to be an indispensable resource. I spent a good deal of time searching websites for the answers to my questions. I posted questions here because I wasn't able to find satisfactory answers to my questions elsewhere.

How would you suggest I go about getting detailed answers as opposed to "hit or miss" answers? (I'm asking because I don't know.)

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
I too have found www.vintageairstrem.com to be an indispensable resource. I spent a good deal of time searching websites for the answers to my questions. I posted questions here because I wasn't able to find satisfactory answers to my questions elsewhere.

How would you suggest I go about getting detailed answers as opposed to "hit or miss" answers? (I'm asking because I don't know.)

Thanks!
So you did not see other interiors matching the 59' in the ARCHIVES?

My suggestion was to combine all of your questions in one thread and continue it as work unfolds. As I mentioned, something like:

TODAYS SOMEDAY59's QUESTION OF THE DAY! or
THE CONTINUING SAGA OF THE SINGLE AXLE OVERLANDER or
OMG! OVERLANDER IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS or
SOMEDAY59 PROJECT "HIT THE HIGHWAY" PLEASE HELP or
WE HAVE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE FOR ANSWERS (kidding)

If you do not want to do it this way...great. But this way it MAY be easier to follow and get more answers. Maybe not. Others may have different opinions....for sure.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Hi Someday and welcome.

As a relative newbie myself, I've done both searching and asking questions. There are thousands of threads and posts on this forum. Finding the information you need when you need it can be daunting.

I have noticed that I tend to be more likely to look at a thread that has gotten a lot of responses. So if your questions relate to each other, you can start one thread and ask the questions in different posts in that one thread. A busy thread is more likely to get more eyeballs and therefore more likely to reach the people with the answers you need.

Sometimes, though, the answers seem buried in mounds of history and you just have to ask. I always love it when the more experienced forum members can point me to a venerable thread that is old but packed with useful tips or helpful pictures.

We all have our days when we sound more gruff or rough than we meant to. Best is to assume good intentions and don't take things personally. Everyone brings value and it's really tough to read tone of voice in a page of print.

Best wishes with your Airstream and have fun on the forum.

- Barbie
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
Hi, and welcome to the forums. We have only been on about a month. It took us a while to figure out how it all worked and how to seach for topics etc. We found the easiest way for us was to start a thread that we titled "62 Overlander Bonnie needs help". We ask questions and post progress in that same thread. Eveyone has been really helpful to us which I,m sure they will with you also. Your Airstream looks in real good condition outside. How about some inside pics? Have you named her yet? I,m so glad we named ours early on as since my hubby has been tearing up the floor and welding bad spots on the frame, he has been coming up with other names for her lol. Well enjoy, and we,ll be following your thread or threads. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hang in there Someday......ask, ask, ask.....it's the only way you will learn. Don't be concerned with what others think...I personally enjoy seeing some of the same subjects being asked again. One can never learn enough.

Welcome to this wonderful forum....stick around and you will make lots of friends and learn a lot about your Airstream here.

Onward and Upward
Old 02-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:

Welcome Someday,

The purpose of this forum is provide insight, information and perspective on the ownership, restoration and lifestyle of Airstreams and other things silver. Our success is based on the willingness of all members to share their experience, tips, and knowledge for the benefit of all.

We have some 39,000 members and 50,000 threads containing over 740,000 posts, so chances are any question posted by a member (New Member to Rivet Master) has been addressed at some point. But under no circumstances should you or any of us here let that influence our decision to post or not.

There is a huge amount of archival data available for those willing to do some research, but asking the question again also allows others who may not be aware of the old posts to offer some new perspective. The other issue to consider is that using older posts as a "Go By" may not always work to one's favor. Trends, technology, and opinions do change about various issues related to Airstreams and Airstreaming so the old post may be the "Old Way" to do things and not be up to date with current thinking..

So as others have stated...Ask away please.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote