Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Shelf Installation

I have a problem that I need some direction on. First off we have a 2006 Bambi Safari which is 19 feet. We love the trailer and like the cozyness of it. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine when I sleep which means that my wife and I are unable to sleep in the bed. She winds up converting the dinette and sleeping there. I want to install a shelf which would be suspended from the underside of the cabnet about the bed. In that location there is a speaker and a light so I'll need to be careful about the wires. My CPAP weighs about 5 lbs and I'm wondering if I can just use hooks and screw them into the undreside of the cabnet? The cabnet seems very solid but can it handle the weight of the machine. It would be nice to sleep with my only girl when we go camping and not stop breathing too. Thanks for your help.

Flyguy
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Sure why not?

Sounds like that would work. I would use a fender washer to help spread the load of the second shelf. Make sure you pack your CPAP before travel. It would be a bad thing to break it because it fell of a shelf.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, If I understand you right. You want to hang the shelf under the cabinets.

The picture I have here is not the best but should work.. this is in my entertainment center I built..

Go to the hardware store.. Buy some long treaded wire, Thats not what it's called but it comes in 1-2 feet in length and it's treaded. Get some bolts and washers for it.. Cut to length drill holes and hang your shelf with it. I hope the picture helps, It should have no problem supporting 5 lbs. You want one on each corner of your shelf..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4361.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	72626  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
It should work, I have the same Bambi and I've got more than 5 pounds worth of stuff in the cabinets above the bed. Is the CPAP too big to fit inside the cabinet? How about on top of the refrigerator and run an airline under the street side cabinet that drops down onto the bed? (I don't know anything about a CPAP machine or how they function so sorry if these suggestions sound "uninformed")
John
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Is there any way you can provide a photo of where you would like to place your CPAP as well as how far the electrical outlet is? I am a Registered Nurse and I know that you do not want to add any additional length to the O2 to your CPAP as that will decrease the amount of oxygen you may be receiving and will also compromise the functionality and purpose of your CPAP...Let me know if I can be of assistance..
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Imeynstein,
I'll get some pics together and add them so that you can see where I'm planning to put the shelf. I've tried the top of the fridge but I have to sleep with my head near the fridge.

Thanks flyguy
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Thanks John,
I've never considered putting the CPAP in the cabnet above the bed. Great suggestion. I've tried it on top of the fridge but it means that I have to sleep with my head near the fridge and that is something that I want to get away from. When I consider all the stuff that's in the other cabnets and those cabnets definatly have more that 5 pounds is them it doesn't seem like much of a problem. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes.

Flyguy
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I am looking forward to the photos! I wish you well!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Another thought, there is a space between the curb side cabinets over the bed and the cabinet over the bed at the rear of the trailer. A set of brackets on either side would allow a small removable shelf to be installed in the space between the cabinets.
John
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
That may be the ticket!!! Let me know if it works!!! Good luck!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
You can place your CPAP in just about anywhere in the Bambi by adding additional lengths of tubing (they are usually 6 ft lengths). REMBER that as you add additional tubing there will be a pressure drop, also when traveling you will also have to recalibrate due to the altitude. Talk to your DME supplier and they will be able to instruct you in calibrating. You WILL need a manometer calibrated in cm. of water NOT psi or mm of mercury (Hg). I am a retired Respiratory Practitioner.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote