Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Wireless Speakers 12 DC options

Hello,

In my search for a clean solution to outside speakers i've purchased the following: JBL On Air Control 2.4G wireless speaker system Surround Speaker System reviews - CNET Reviews

These speakers sound great and the wireless connection has proven clear and reliable. My only issue is where to route them as the wireless transmitter requires a 120v plug. My first solution was to place the unit (with some double sided tape) behind my TV and plug use the headphone jack to tap into the airstreams audio system. This allows me access to both sound input and 120v plug. It's almost a perfect setup except that I have to set the headphone volume and the AS stereo volume. The BEST option is to plug into the AS Line in jack and use the existing speaker switch (inside/outside/both) this also would probably have better sound quality.

BUT there is no 120v plug for the trasmitter in the cabinet space next to the AS stereo...my only option is the 12 DC plug.

So i need an adapter.....which leads me to my question. The wireless transmitter needs 5v 1000a. (it currently uses a 120v plug to 5v adapter) I have found a couple options for 12 volt to 5v adapters that might work in place. But one from radioshack is a 4.5v 1000a and the other is had a switch to let you choose from 4.5 or 6 v and up to 2000a. My question is....is there room for a .5 variance in voltage? Will it work? Will the transmitter only draw 1000a of the 2000a some of these adapters are rated.....How much danger is there of frying my wireless transmitter if I use something not rated at exactly 5v 1000a?

THANKS
tmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
tmarquis,

I am trolling the Forum for information on wireless speakers and came across your thread. I figure 4 years later, you must be an expert in the field of WIRELESS by now. I have a 2007 27FB and I too am trying to expand my sound to the outside of the coach. What can you share?

Thanks in advance!

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I am looking at these. Does anyone have any experience?

Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go Audio Unlimited 2.4 GHz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 2 Stereo Speaker System with Remote and Dual Power Transmitter, Black (SPK-24GX-DUO): Electronics

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Note that wireless speakers still need powered amplifiers, so that means either wires or lots of batteries.

If I just needed music outdoors, I'd use a jobsite radio that works w/ the Li ion batteries from my electric drill. Milwaukee and DeWalt both make 'em.

If I wanted to listen to the music playing in my Airstream while sitting outside, I'd turn it up and open the door.

If I wanted a dance party outside the Airstream using the music playing in the Airstream, I'd add a class D automotive power amp to the Airstream stereo and fit some speaker connectors behind a waterproof outlet cover set into a hatch somewhere, and plug in some of those waterproof speakers used in ski boats..... but this is likely to drain the batteries pretty quickly, and annoy the other campers, bears and rangers.

So far the most practical suggestion I think is to upgrade the stereo in the AS and open the door. I replaced our original "Golden Voice" speakers
with Infinity Kappas and the missing eight track with a 25w/channel kenwood - pretty good sound, and it draws less than 1 amp from the solar at reasonable listening levels.

Seriously, think about how you want to use these. There are likely better solutions to the problem.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Bluetooth and a Sonos or Bose system.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I think an expensive speaker system may be overkill when using Bluetooth as the interconnect between source and speakers, personally... neither of the "A"s in A2DP stands for "audiophile."

In our vintage Argosy there were no speakers, though it did come with what seems to have been a period dealer option, a "Truetone" semi-portable radio that plugged into the antenna. I've never bothered with it, it's just a prop.

I have a Monster iClarityHD bluetooth stereo speaker that charges via USB and is more than adequate for the kind of non-critical listening we do when traveling, and could easily be turned out loud enough to annoy campground neighbors (which is to say it does more than we need.) I caught a sale for about $60. It has a 3.5mm stereo jack as well as the BT interface, so we can use it with an old-school MP3 player as well as with our tablets or smartphones.

There are several competitive brands and models, that just happened to be the one I tried because the price was right.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

I think an expensive speaker system may be overkill when using Bluetooth as the interconnect between source and speakers, personally... neither of the "A"s in A2DP stands for "audiophile."

In our vintage Argosy there were no speakers, though it did come with what seems to have been a period dealer option, a "Truetone" semi-portable radio that plugged into the antenna. I've never bothered with it, it's just a prop.

I have a Monster iClarityHD bluetooth stereo speaker that charges via USB and is more than adequate for the kind of non-critical listening we do when traveling, and could easily be turned out loud enough to annoy campground neighbors (which is to say it does more than we need.) I caught a sale for about $60. It has a 3.5mm stereo jack as well as the BT interface, so we can use it with an old-school MP3 player as well as with our tablets or smartphones.

There are several competitive brands and models, that just happened to be the one I tried because the price was right.
Sorry for the confusion..I was referring to the portable systems...you can use them via BT for your DVD, laptop, tablet, smartphone/ no3/ hotspot in the trailer or out...$250 and like you said, all bases are covered no sense running wires for much of anything these days unless its for your sit down audiophile environment, which is definitely not the airstream and camping.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a Jambox by Jawbone, and I have been really happy with it. It will connect via bluetooth from my phone or you can hard wire it from a 3.5 mm plug. It is a really quality product. It is not cheap but worth the money imho.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I agree with Barts well thought out solutions. Upgrade your system,

Kenwood KDC-x995
Boston Acoustics SR60 up front
Pioneer Stage 4 PRS-D4200F AMP
Bose Acoustimas 3 speaker system in the rear

open the door and windows and enjoy!

With the 25/W kenwood and Boston Acoustics only pulls about 1 amp, however kick on the Amplifier and rear speakers and it pulls 3.2 amps.

But I also have 4 lifeline GPL-4CT batteries to back it up.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Since our heat pump, air conditioner is soooo quiet, our speakers in the flat tv were not able to put out enough volume. I also just wanted something that would not disturb the DW sleeping late at night. The wireless speaker has solved the problem and can be taken outside when needed. The shelf comes off when not needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0834.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	181899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0835.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	181900  

AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
I love the Bose Soundlink. BT or standard plug to portable player. Sound quality is great, charges with USB plug.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We got a set of speakers that have a plug for the I-pod. Works great. Cordless when necessary. Nice sound. Has re-chargable batteries for when we are without outside power and plugs in and charges itself and the I-pod when we do. There are several of these out there. I forget what brand mine is but it's small enough to store in the drawer under the TV in the Airstream.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
I am just trying to send some music outside the AS while my wife is inside doing her thing so turning up the sound with door and windows open is probably not a good option. My health may be at risk! So I am just looking for a simple fix. This is the set I am looking at. Anyone have experience with these?
Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go Audio Unlimited Premium 900MHz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 2 Speaker System with Remote and Dual Power Transmitter, Black (SPK-VELO-003): Electronics
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I am just trying to send some music outside the AS while my wife is inside doing her thing so turning up the sound with door and windows open is probably not a good option. My health may be at risk! So I am just looking for a simple fix. This is the set I am looking at. Anyone have experience with these?
Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go Audio Unlimited Premium 900MHz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 2 Speaker System with Remote and Dual Power Transmitter, Black (SPK-VELO-003): Electronics
The one I have is the Audio Unlimited SPK24G speaker. I did not need a 2 speaker set up for my needs. The sound is very good for the price.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I have the answer to your vexing problem...iPod and earphones! You can get an earful of your tunes and avoid the earful of your dear wife. I will deny authoring that statement, should I ever be subpoenaed into court for the divorce proceeding. Hahaha

I think your proposed setup sounds great!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Phrunes,

I just fell out of my chair!! The earphones can be a multi-purpose aid!! Plus...I'll never hear it coming!!

Humor is a great thing!!

Thanks again!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Ronman,
I have five kids...I have earphones surgically attached to my head. I figured the alternative; a straightjacket, would have restricted my arm movements and I would not be able to work on my airstream.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Phrunes...
Sounds like you could use the counsel of a quality pharmacist too! No…Wait…then you couldn’t work on your Airstream either!! Earphones!! That’s the ticket!!
Love your humor, my friend!!
R
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronman View Post
phrunes,

i just fell out of my chair!! The earphones can be a multi-purpose aid!! Plus...i'll never hear it coming!!

Humor is a great thing!!

Thanks again!!
roflmao
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Agree- we have the Bose wireless speaker and connect with Bluetooth to our IPhone- great sound for a little box and gets plenty loud for any campground.
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote