Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Red light on power cord

The red light on my shore power cord is on, normally blue. Even when disconnected from my Airstream, but still plugged into the 30 Amp outlet at the RV park. Everything in my 27 foot 2017 International Serenity works OK.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What does the plug in polarity indicator show?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I did not see the make of your particular cord set. There are many different cords and manufacturers out there.
If you have a Furrion cord set,
Blue LED is the Powersmart feature. It indicates when power is present to the cord.
Red LED indicates reverse polarity or neutral loss.

It is not uncommon to find the RV park outlet wired incorrectly. It is easy to verify with a volt meter.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Is this power cord provided by Airstream? A $3 three light tester is pretty good for most problems. A $15 non-contact voltage sensor sensor penlight will do a better job testing for hot ground or neutral line.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Is this power cord provided by Airstream? A $3 three light tester is pretty good for most problems. A $15 non-contact voltage sensor sensor penlight will do a better job testing for hot ground or neutral line.
Both of these items are good, as well as a VOMETRE.
In addition, I use a plug-in Metre to check voltage, and...
I also made another plug-in voltmeter wired it to a plug such that one terminal is wired to ground, the other to neutral.
When plugged in, it should read zero.
I found a campground power plug-in that Read 120 V.
The plug-in three light gadget confirmed it as miswired.
The owner told me that it had Been like this for 12YEARS, and no one had caught it.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The Airstream supplied Marino 30 amp cord on my 2017 Serenity 25 has a red LED that is always red, when plugged into shore power at home or at a park. My TRC Surge Guard indicates "normal" power is being supplied in both cases and the little yellow circuit tester says everything is normal.

The Furrion inlet connector does not illuminate. They are normally blue. The blue lights on my late two Airstreams, even when replaced have burned out within a couple of months so I've given up the Furrion connector blue light.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
The red light is on the Parkpower 800v 60hz power cord supplied by the dealer, not the Furrion inlet attached to the Airstream. The latter is not on but used to be blue. So it may be that the 'blue' light is just not working, although it should. The GFCI plug shows the two yellow 'correct' status in all the non GFCI protected outlets and all the appliances and lights are working. I hope I have answered all the responses to my initial post.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
I know this thread is fairly old, but I noticed on my brand new AS that it showed the red LED; all other trailers I had showed blue. In researching the Marinco cord (for 50 amp service) I discovered that Marinco's red LED is simply a power on indicator.

Larry
graywhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywhale View Post
I know this thread is fairly old, but I noticed on my brand new AS that it showed the red LED; all other trailers I had showed blue. In researching the Marinco cord (for 50 amp service) I discovered that Marinco's red LED is simply a power on indicator.

Larry
Hi

Worth remembering if you have a shore power problem. Unfortunately it rarely is remembered as you run around trying to work things out ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote