Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Hard Wiring an Airstream

I need a little help here. I have a some electrical experience, but I want to pick your brains. We are looking to hard wire our Aistreams to the grid. Any recommendations?
64mtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I immediately think of two options. First is to create a new hole in the trailer to pull in wire. Another is to replace the standard shore power plug with a suitable junction box that you can connect conduit to.

Of course, I cannot help but wonder why using the shore power cable is not viable for you.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
We’re trying to make it look as clean as possible. All electrical will be underground. We’d prefer to have nothing plugged in.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Harrisburg , Oregon
If you want to hide the wires, you could run an extension cord in an underground conduit, and have your 30A or 50A receptacle in a service box under the side or tail of the trailer. You could then hide the cable plug in the service box, but leave it so you can unplug should you want to travel with the trailer or take it to a repair center.

Just an idea....

Scott
skucera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Great idea. I’ll have to convince the “boss.” We currently have 4 Airstreams, 3 will be used as permanent Airbnb’s. We don’t want it to look like bad, it needs to be as clean as possible.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Just a thought - you should not run a extension or power cord, or even Romex inside of conduit if you want to be in compliance with electrical codes.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
A few questions come to my mind as I contemplate ideas for you. First, is your intention that these trailers are never going to see the road again, or do you want to preserve some form of the dual voltage power capability (12VDC or 120VAC) ? Second question is if you are extracting some portion of the existing trailer electrical system in a bigger remodel, are you removing the 12V panel, and 12V appliances ?

If you want to preserve the dual voltage, and the only real objective is the hard wiring (ie, eliminate the shore power cord), then why not just drill a hole in the floor of your electrical entry point, secure a conduit box to the floor, and run a conduit, or weathertite cable, through he floor, into that box, from your grid source ? You could essentially do the same with a simple extension cord, of the appropriate wire gauge, but the permanent conduit/wire approach is probably a better long term electrical solution. Should be easy to hide by running on the underside of the belly pan, back to the axle area, and somewhere near a tire you go into the ground, hiding most or all of it from exterior view. To me, that seems to be the simplest, but it will require more holes in your floor, so be sure you seal it all up well, to prevent insects, or other critters from entry.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Since you are creating what code would call a "detached structure" you will need a disconnect at the trailer. A plug and cord qualifies as a disconnect but if you do away with that you will need an accessible main switch. A simple weatherproof disconnect box with a single breaker will do.
This is not the same as a service disconnect for equipment which allows for a disconnect within sight of and no more than 50 feet from the unit, for a detached structure (regardless of use) it must be on or at the structure.
There are also additional grounding requirements for a detached structure, best to ask the local inspector about it before you get too far so you won't have any surprises.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Fayetteville , Tennessee
We would like to keep them road worthy in the event we want to sell them. No existing electrical will be removed from the Airstream.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64mtp View Post
We would like to keep them road worthy in the event we want to sell them. No existing electrical will be removed from the Airstream.
Ok, so that certainly impacts some of the considerations, and in light of that, my idea to drill more holes in the floor (or anywhere else for that matter) is probably not high on the list of appropriate options for your situation. More importantly, ITSN060 makes a couple great points about code references, and I admit right up front, I am not knowledgeable in that area of electrical work. I do most of my own work, but it is on the simple side of things, simple wiring, etc. Although you mentioned your desire to eliminate the shore cord, it certainly sounds like the most appropriate path, to maintain road readiness, and meet code requirements for a disconnect (as mentioned by ITSN060). Out of all this, it might be best you consult with a licensed electrician to be sure your method is safe, and meets code requirements.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
Out of all this, it might be best you consult with a licensed electrician to be sure your method is safe, and meets code requirements.
This is especially important for anything you intend to rent out as there are liability concerns to be considered.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If they are to stay road worthy, I would stick with the normal power cord. I'd get something made up with a right angle plug on it and run it down to the ground. It could go through some sort of conduit from there to a very normal power box. Plug it in and put some waterproof tape around it. It should last for a *long* time.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could mount an inlet on the trailer (like the newer Airstreams have) and just get the plug to go to the inlet and might be able to connect conduit to that or connect romex then run that to conduit.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote