Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
If you have two receptacles for your shore power cord on the outside of your trailer (I don't know if you do or not on that unit) try the other receptacle. There is a transfer switch on the back side of your converter that transfers the power and it is common for that switch to fail and not recognize the current from the receptacle. If you have only one receptacle, it's probably a moot point.

Good luck.
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
Hi Al,

My disconnect switch is a rocker-type switch by my door. It is an Intellitec BDO(?).

I did check the relay and I see it has 2 fuses, both good. The relay I'm looking at is a black smallish black plastic thing that has a giant red cable attached to both sides, the fuses are on top of the relay. I think I'm looking at the right thing???

I will probably start with different batteries first and talk with Bestconverter.
The switch then operates the relay, although it's not clear how it operates. IT may be as simple as 12 volts from either the battery or the converter is used to power the coil of the relay and connect the battery to the distribution panel and converter.

A set of good batteries (or even only one) could verify that the converter is OK.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Connect the meter to battery terminal to see what voltage it shows.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's a latching relay. Pressing store side of the switch makes the relay disconnect battery from coach.

Pressing use closes the relay. The red light only means 12volt power is on the trailer side of the relay, open or closed.

Plugging in to shore power with the converter active and the relay in store will light the red light, but will not charge the batteries. That is the problem with this setup.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Crazylev, you're not going crazy. I have a 69 Overlander and I'm having a similar type of problem. I read the train above and the most important parts are that you confirmed that you have 13.6 VDC output from the converter and that you have 11.6VDC at the battery. Exactly like my 69. The battery and the converter are fine. We both did the same WRONG thing. We bought a converter that just puts out 13.6 VDC. We need the 3 stage converter. This unit has a 14.8, 13.6 and 12.? VDC output that float based upon the needs. Or you can augment your battery with a small $12 solar panel from Harbor Freight, another 10 bucks you get the regulator and whalla the battery charges. I went this route because I'm too cheep to throw $300 down the drain because those who sell these converters won't take them back for the upgrade to the better unit.

Oh by the way I went with a 80 watt output converter so that doesn't have anything to do with this problem.

Good Luck

Tony and Renie
Huck the Mutt and Finn too
Redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Since I last wrote, here is what has happened:

First, does anyone want to buy a slightly haunted 19' AS International? (Just kidding.)

And thanks for the replies.

My last post was on July 15. On July 16, I went out to measure the batteries and they were now reading 12.3 volts I ran a test connecting the battery clamp connectors to each battery separately. Converter output good too, still 13.x. On both batteries individually I was getting 12.3. So I put everything back together in battery compartment.

A few other observations: The day(s) before July 16, I noticed my water pump seemed kind of sluggish sounding. I know my trailer. However, on July 16 when I took my readings and did all that. Now not only is the pump sound like it is up to it's normal speed and sound, I also hear the occasional fan inside the converter go on and off, periodically.

And I didn't do anything!!! All seems OK.

I decided to take both of the Interstate batteries home and put them on a battery-Minder for a whole bunch of days. before doing that, I read the voltage of the SITTING for 8+ hours batteries. 12.3 each!

One battery is off the Battery-Minder now, let it sit overnight, then read 12.7v!!! The other is still charging.

So I now have a new theory: When I bought the batteries, they were not charged properly, even though they read 12.x when I got them, and needed to be re-energized, maybe something the converter wasn't able to quite handle????

From what I've read, reading voltage is only part of the story and that a load test should be performed, which I plan to do someplace.

Will keep you updated...
Old 08-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #27
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Yesterday I brought the batteries back to Interstate battery place.

Before that, I had both batteries on a Batteryminder for several days each. Again after resting for a day, the voltage read 13 volts for each battery at the terminals using multimeter.

At the battery place, a technician used a hydrometer(?) in each of the cells. Each cell read that there was only 65% charge in one battery, and 75% in the other battery.

When I asked why the reading from the terminals would be 13V, and only be reading 65% and 75% when using a hydrometer, his answer was that he likes going by the "old school" method of measuring the cells. He told me to leave the batteries over night so he could fully charge them, which I did.

I went to pick up batteries, and the technician performed a load test in front of me. This was kind of an old looking machine that connects to the battery terminals. His voltage on the machine with no load was a little over 13V.

He adjusted a knob to reflect the cold crank amps(?) of my batteries (550) pushed a button, and the reading with load was 10.5 volts. From what I've read, the reading should be at least 9.6 volts, so it appears that they both tested well.

So now I am back at square one. Again, maybe when I bought the batteries back in May, they were never fully charged somehow. But now that raises a new question as to why my BatteryMinder didn't sort of top off the batteries. AND why the discrepancy between voltage read at terminals with meter versus using hydrometer.

Head spinning...

Jonathan
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Just an update: we were out last week for a few days, and with generator running my converter dc output was once again reading ~12v.😡😡😡
I went and ordered a pd7355 replacent from bestconverter along with a small monitor gizmo that will help determine status of charging. I think i drove randy from bestconverter insane with all my ??? And what ifs. I'll install new converter this week and then move on to my next new problem: why my fridge/freezer only cools on AC😫😫😫
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
Your not Crazy

Lev,

Let me ask you a question before you do any more mods. Is your AS an older unit? Did you replace any major appliances (refer, AC, etc.). If so you may have a 12v storage problem. I think that is my problem and I'm actively trying to figure out where to add a second battery in parallel into our AS.

Just a thought - good luck

Tony and Irene
with Huck the Mutt and Finn too
Redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #30
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
My AS is a 2004 so it's not that old, unlike its owner😏
All appliances are original and the unit is dual battery.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:19 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
DKB,
I also have the converter problem not charging batteries while on shore power. With shore power I tested the voltage ouput from the 12v panel and it registers 11.88 (not good) I did your suggestion of disconnecting one of the battery cables and testing the output at the 12v panel again. This time it read .25. Help?
911Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 09:26 AM   #32

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Airstream View Post
DKB,
I also have the converter problem not charging batteries while on shore power. With shore power I tested the voltage ouput from the 12v panel and it registers 11.88 (not good) I did your suggestion of disconnecting one of the battery cables and testing the output at the 12v panel again. This time it read .25. Help?
It seems that you aren't getting any output from your converter. There are generally fuses on the output side of the converter, you should check that those fuses aren't blown. Make sure your 120v breakers are all completely in the "On" position and check for 120v input into the converter. If you have 120v input, good fuses and no output voltage (and no loose connections on the 12v side of the converter) then you may need a new converter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I forgot to mention it is a Parallax 7300 series and as the Airstream manual says, it is "maintenance-free." To me that means no fuses. Seems the 7300 is no longer available I've been researching which one might be the replacement. However, my extended warranty I purchased when I bought the trailer is still in effect and the converter is covered. But I learned a lot with this experience. Thanks for the info.
911Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote