Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
HItch ball height via AS and via Leveling

Another try on this subject ...
I was just a bit unsure of myself with the ~3" disparity between what the AS factory (and owner manual) says the hitch ball height should be (17.75") and what I actually need by leveling the trailer fore and aft and then measuring the distance from the cement ground to the inside of the coupler (20.5-.75").

If you are using the AS factory recommendation of 17.75", I'd really like to hear your experiences. I do not have self-leveling suspension and am concerned that AS would provide a specification that is that far off of my own experience.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The trailer won't be perfectly level it it's spec'd towing alignment.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've yet to hear of two AS'es which sit at the same height...well OK that's an exageration, but.... My Classic is spec'ed at 18.75" in the book. Fully loaded with about 1200 lbs over the UVW, it sits at 19" from top of coupler to ground. So it too was born higher than "spec". (BTW, that was BEFORE switching to 16" wheels, so it's really at about 19.5" now)

I think the point here, is for you to load up the gal like you're going camping, with proper tire inflation, level the AS front to back, and get your particular unit's height from top of coupler to ground. Then work your hitch and TV numbers. (Don't forget to simulate your typical loaded vehicle weight).

As a starting point, I have found that setting the ball height about 1" above the coupler height is typically close. You'll then have to dial it in.

There are plenty of folks here that can help with that once you get the basics done.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up what dz said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I've yet to hear of two AS'es which sit at the same height...well OK that's an exageration, but.... My Classic is spec'ed at 18.75" in the book. Fully loaded with about 1200 lbs over the UVW, it sits at 19" from top of coupler to ground. So it too was born higher than "spec". (BTW, that was BEFORE switching to 16" wheels, so it's really at about 19.5" now)

I think the point here, is for you to load up the gal like you're going camping, with proper tire inflation, level the AS front to back, and get your particular unit's height from top of coupler to ground. Then work your hitch and TV numbers. (Don't forget to simulate your typical loaded vehicle weight).

As a starting point, I have found that setting the ball height about 1" above the coupler height is typically close. You'll then have to dial it in.

There are plenty of folks here that can help with that once you get the basics done.
X2

"I was just a bit unsure of myself with the ~3" disparity between what the AS factory (and owner manual) says the hitch ball height should be."

The operative word there being "should". As with the factory weights, consider all AS numbers as suspect.

Load the trailer, level it, measure from ground to inside top of ball socket=real world TH.

Bob
Old 03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Thank you for the input; your experience shared with us is very much appreciated. I just wanted confirmation that what I have done is the proper procedure ... still hard to believe that AS puts out a spec that far off the mark.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
mefly2, Don't feel bad. Mine specs at 18 inches, current real world is about 13. It is 48 years old so of course my axle is shot. New one has been on order for 6 weeks, hopefully will show up sometime this month.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote