Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
I talked with them yesterday. Here is their response:

"Thanks for your interest in SmartPlug Products. With Regards to our C50044L515P Adapter:

The C50044L515P 50A to 15A Dongle is on hold. This Product in its current configuration only supply’s power to one leg. This configuration limits its use in applications that require power on both or on two legs. We are currently working with the largest recognized National Testing Laboratory, Intertek ETL, who manages our UL certifications, to see what options we have, to be able to add power to the second leg. Product is on hold until they complete their review."

Followup said it might be available after the first of the year, depending on the response from Intertek.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #62
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So how many different model adapters can you find on the shelf that do this at Camping World? Yes, they are all for the old plug. If they cost $25 that's an expensive one ...... This isn't rocket science.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:21 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
But if it was, I’m glad we have you here to help us.
Oregon_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:41 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Update for everyone. Emailed SmartPlug today to find out if it was coming or not... We're now in January 2022. Here's the email transcript:

Hi Nicolas,

"Thanks for your interest in SmartPlug Products. With Regards to our C50044L515P Adapter:

The C50044L515P 50A to 15A Dongle is on hold. This Product in its current configuration only supply’s power to one leg. This configuration limits its use in applications that require power on both or on two legs. We are currently working with the largest recognized National Testing Laboratory, Intertek ETL, who manages our UL certifications, to see what options we have, to be able to add power to the second leg. Product is on hold until they complete their review.

Sorry for the inconvenience"

Not much change I'm afraid. I'll be making my own. Ordering the plug now.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:30 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Not much change I'm afraid. I'll be making my own. Ordering the plug now.
When you do it, would you mind sharing the material list and how you plan on building it. I'd be interested in that. Thanks
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
When you do it, would you mind sharing the material list and how you plan on building it. I'd be interested in that. Thanks
Sure thing.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
As posted earlier in the thread:

There is a small jumper shorting both hot pins (red and black) with one of them being fed by the black wire in the cord. White to white, green to green. It's a piece of cake.

About to undertake building one for myself too. Question, does the SmartPlug connector kit include materials to make the housing watertight? Obviously, even the thickest 15 AMP extension cord will be significantly smaller than the a 50 AMP. How do you close that gap to avoid water coming in? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #68
gcj
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Lindon , Utah
Previous post on this very topic. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1544...tension%20cord
Old 01-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #69
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
Hi

Material list:

50 A smart plug

Number 12 SOJ cable ( 2 wire plus ground) 3.0' long
(or longer if this is an extension cord).

15A plug of your choice from the rack at Lowes.

That's all you need.

Bob
Old 01-28-2022, 08:23 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Material list:

50 A smart plug

Number 12 SOJ cable ( 2 wire plus ground) 3.0' long
(or longer if this is an extension cord).

15A plug of your choice from the rack at Lowes.

That's all you need.

Bob
Hey Bob. If I wanted to do 50 to 30, that would be the same process, except with a 10/3 cable and connector, right? I'd still jump the two hot leads, correct?
Old 01-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Here is what I purchased 3 years back on amazon, $22.00. Works great.

Kohree 15 Amp to 50 Amp RV Power Cord Plug Adapter, Dogbone Heavy Duty Electrical Power Adapter with Twist Lock, LED Indicator, 15M/50F, 12"
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
About to undertake building one for myself too. Question, does the SmartPlug connector kit include materials to make the housing watertight? Obviously, even the thickest 15 AMP extension cord will be significantly smaller than the a 50 AMP. How do you close that gap to avoid water coming in? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I just used a cheap 16ga extension cord as all I need is the capability to power the fridge and converter. The housing, as you suspected is not water tight. Since I store in a covered spot, I didn't worry about that. It wouldn't be hard though. In the past, I've built up the diameter of the cable with multiple layers of heat shrink tubing purchased off of Amazon.

The Orange box store usually has a nice heavy duty heat shrink tubing with a glue in it designed for sealing well motor feed wires and they have it in multiple sizes. that is the one I'd prefer to use. It's usually in the isle with the wire nuts.

If you use that option, make each outer layer slightly shorter than the one below it. That will make it function like a strain relief for the cord. Just note that the glue makes this somewhat permanent unless you use a heat gun to soften the glue and remove it.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:58 AM   #73
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hey Bob. If I wanted to do 50 to 30, that would be the same process, except with a 10/3 cable and connector, right? I'd still jump the two hot leads, correct?
Hi

Yes

This is no different than wiring up any other RV plug.

Bob
Old 01-29-2022, 07:04 AM   #74
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I just used a cheap 16ga extension cord as all I need is the capability to power the fridge and converter. The housing, as you suspected is not water tight. Since I store in a covered spot, I didn't worry about that. It wouldn't be hard though. In the past, I've built up the diameter of the cable with multiple layers of heat shrink tubing purchased off of Amazon.

The Orange box store usually has a nice heavy duty heat shrink tubing with a glue in it designed for sealing well motor feed wires and they have it in multiple sizes. that is the one I'd prefer to use. It's usually in the isle with the wire nuts.

If you use that option, make each outer layer slightly shorter than the one below it. That will make it function like a strain relief for the cord. Just note that the glue makes this somewhat permanent unless you use a heat gun to soften the glue and remove it.
Hi

The stock SmartPlug comes with the exact same "water tight" features as all the SmartPlugs. It has a rubber boot that is supposed to stretch over the cable. That's all they do on these "magic" connectors. There is no fancy super duper waterproofing.

If you want to go to the next level. Grab a tube of dielectric grease ( it needs to say that on the label ) and pack the connector before you finish the final assembly. The stuff will ooze out when you clamp the back on to the thing.

If that still isn't good enough, get a tube of electronic grade RTV (again, it needs to say that on the label). Do the same "pack it" process. You would *think* this would create a solid block of rubber in there. Maybe it does / maybe it doesn't. It depends a lot on the amount of moisture present. Either way, it seals things up.

Bob
Old 01-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Hi

Yes

This is no different than wiring up any other RV plug.

Bob
Thanks. Since I’m moving from 30 Amp twist lock to 50 Amp SmartPlug with my incoming AS, I figured I would simply convert my extra 30 Amp twist lock cord to SmartPlug and then use the 30 to 15 Amp pigtail I already have. That’ll do fine for usage at my storage place and will make more sense than letting those old cable and pigtail sit in my garage unused.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Here is what I purchased 3 years back on amazon, $22.00. Works great.

Kohree 15 Amp to 50 Amp RV Power Cord Plug Adapter, Dogbone Heavy Duty Electrical Power Adapter with Twist Lock, LED Indicator, 15M/50F, 12"
While that's great for you, obviously that is NOT compatible with a SMART PLUG so really no reason to mention it on this thread.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Hi

The stock SmartPlug comes with the exact same "water tight" features as all the SmartPlugs. It has a rubber boot that is supposed to stretch over the cable. That's all they do on these "magic" connectors. There is no fancy super duper waterproofing.

If you want to go to the next level. Grab a tube of dielectric grease ( it needs to say that on the label ) and pack the connector before you finish the final assembly. The stuff will ooze out when you clamp the back on to the thing.

If that still isn't good enough, get a tube of electronic grade RTV (again, it needs to say that on the label). Do the same "pack it" process. You would *think* this would create a solid block of rubber in there. Maybe it does / maybe it doesn't. It depends a lot on the amount of moisture present. Either way, it seals things up.

Bob
The stock rubber boot that comes with the smart plugs is designed to fit 10ga 3 conductor SOOJ or 6ga 4 conductor SOOJ. Works well for weather sealing when you actually use that wire, but that wire is EXPENSIVE and unnecessary for storage. a cheap 16/14ga outdoor rated extension cord carries plenty of current for the converter and fridge (usually about 3-6A) and is sufficient for storage conditions.(And turning the fridge on the day before you load up). but the standard boots are too large for this. You can see that in my photo. There is lots of slop room and the connector is not sealed, nor would some dielectric grease help as the gaps are too large. To build the inexpensive storage cord, you must build up the outer diameter of the cord if you are worried about weather sealing so that the boot fits properly. I didn't worry about it since my storage facility is covered.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:22 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
While that's great for you, obviously that is NOT compatible with a SMART PLUG so really no reason to mention it on this thread.
Yea, just missed that...not so "smart"! thanks!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:44 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I cut the end off of a 30amp camco extension cord to make mine. I went 50 to 30 amp, I then plug the 30 amp into a 15amp dog bone when needed. This also gives me the ability to plug into 30 amp using the new cord and avoid wrestling my 50 amp python when 50 amp isn’t necessary.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:19 AM   #80
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The stock rubber boot that comes with the smart plugs is designed to fit 10ga 3 conductor SOOJ or 6ga 4 conductor SOOJ. Works well for weather sealing when you actually use that wire, but that wire is EXPENSIVE and unnecessary for storage. a cheap 16/14ga outdoor rated extension cord carries plenty of current for the converter and fridge (usually about 3-6A) and is sufficient for storage conditions.(And turning the fridge on the day before you load up). but the standard boots are too large for this. You can see that in my photo. There is lots of slop room and the connector is not sealed, nor would some dielectric grease help as the gaps are too large. To build the inexpensive storage cord, you must build up the outer diameter of the cord if you are worried about weather sealing so that the boot fits properly. I didn't worry about it since my storage facility is covered.
Hi

Worked just fine on the number 12 wire (likely CCA) extension cord I got at Home Depot when I made my "hook to the house" cord.

Bob