Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
jacksonville , Florida
2400ishc running rich ?

2400ishc has 23 hours on it, gives slight puff of blue black smoke on start up.
Slight surging while at idle. Found arrestor almost totally clogged. Spark plug has slight black ash. Oil was tar black. Pulled arrestor with great difficulty was basicly carboned in tore it up to get out. Without arrestor in no longer has slight surging at idle but still gives slight puff of blue black smoke on start up, exhaust smells that she is running rich. I believe that adjusting pilot jet will only influence engine idle. I see no other adjustment on carb that I can lean out the mix or am I wrong.
I have found that the exhaust valve has no seal & might allow a very slight amount of oil to enter the cylinder, don't understand why they would engineer no seal on the exhaust valve. Anyone ever experience this problem with 2400is or the ishc.
V / R
Dwayne
dwayne423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
How old is it? Stored with fuel in the carb, or drained after each use? You may have an air bleed channel partially plugged in the carb. I would disassemble and inspect/clean the carb first.

Also, it is common in even auto engines to have no exhaust valve seal. Since there is positive pressure when the valve is open, there will be no sucking of oil past the stem like in the vacuum of the intake port. Extremely worn exhaust guide will allow some oil to drip through when the engine is off though. Doubt that is your issue with a 23 hour engine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
jacksonville , Florida
Never stored with fuel, dry tank / lines & carburetor cleaned, cylinder fogged & piston pulled into compresson stroke. Very anal how I store my Gens. Have 3 others those are Hondas. Never any problem with my Hondas & access for ANY
maintenance or repairs eaiser on the Hondas.
V / R
Dwayne
Old 12-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...print/true.cfm

Stuck choke linkage
Old 12-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
jacksonville , Florida
Good idea about sticky choke / butterfly valve & the ideas in the link but have allready been thru those possibilities. There is a person called boondocker in this
forum & he had posted having most of the same problem with his 2400is. I found his post about it in 05/2007. Have tried contacting him to see what he found / did
to rectify the problem. Tried contacting him 3 days ago but no answer as yet.
Does anyone know if he is still around ?
V / R
Dwayne
Old 12-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Stuck float?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote