Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
SW Florida Fiddler with 76 Argosy 20

Hello, Everyone! My name is Elisa, and I am the very pleased owner of a 1976 Argosy 20. I bought it maybe 3 or 4 years ago from a fellow in Massachusetts and brought it home to upstate NY. I had been looking for a 20 and found this one on the 'Net and damn near went nuts getting the seller to hold it till I could get there!

I have done quite a bit of work to it and have a paint job to do; I think everything else is now in order. I have some really good awning tips for those of you who don't have one and want one without spending the Zip Dee big bucks. Ditto the curtains.

I brought my Argosy down to SW Florida this past Fall, where I spend 11 months of the year (anyone wanna buy 68 acres in upstate NY?), and I take it once a month to a bluegrass festival where I hang out and play fiddle with other whacky musicians from all over. The other half, the Old Man, doesn't like to camp OR listen to a bunch of musicians day and night, so it's MY weekend for my two passions - Argosy and fiddling. Naturally, I have the coolest camper of them all, although there is one old guy who has a 61 Shasta that is adorable. But not practical, like our Argosys!

I will wait for some responses to my newbie post and look forward to learning how to navigate this site. I tried to get on here more than a year ago and couldn't navigate for nothin'!
Ciao for now,
Elisa
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Elisa, a very warm welcome to the forum from all of us, I'm sure, and particularly from this fellow fiddler. A good way to find out what's going on in the forum is to go to the forums page, and click on "New Posts". This will show you all the posts which have occurred since you last logged in. After that, I usually look at "User CP" to see if I can get a warm fuzzy feeling from someone sending me Karma. To understand that, and to learn about the valuable search facility, click on "search", type in "karma", hit enter, and read the resulting posts. Welcome to our world!
Nick.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Elisa,

There are many ways to navigate the site, but I usually log in from the short URL and click on "New Posts." After a while, you'll be able to see at a glance which threads interest you and which you want to participate in. Some threads represent slow conversations that run for months, and others are more pointed, like a quick question and the (hopefully) correct quick answer.

Airstream and Argosy are spoken here. Welcome aboard!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Nick,
Thanks for the welcome. Email me privately and let's talk fiddling a bit.
Elisa
Old 03-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Welcome!

Elisa, welcome to the forums!

Elisa and Nick, as an appreciator of bluegrass music, I would like to introduce you to the Boxcar Pinion Bluegrass Festival we have here in Chatt Town the first weekend of every May. You can find them at BoxcarForeverBluegrass.com

We have music on the stage all day long and then music in the campground all night long. Sounds like something you just might enjoy! We are taking camping reservations now and you get a discount on the tickets by registering early. Let me know if you have any questions!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa
Nick,
Thanks for the welcome. Email me privately and let's talk fiddling a bit.
Elisa
Elisa, I have sent you a PM (private message) via the forum internal system, so that you can see how it operates. Click on "Private Messages" at the top of the screen, or go to "User CP" and follow the links to your PM folders. Nick
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
welcome Elisa!

Fiddle+airstream--a great combo-what music fest do you speak of Elisa?--Im taking my new to me 71 safari and my fiddle as well, to the wheatland old timey festival here in middle michigan--where I am also marketing my copper and clay art,Ive only got a few songs learned on the fiddle, but am totally stoked each time I go---welcome to tuberville!--------jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Ah, I am on the SW coast of Florida - where the pickin' is good outdoors, even in the winter! (Although February was too cold for my fingers...) The festival is in Arcadia and can be found under the website for the Southwest Florida Bluegrass Association. I have had Airstreams and Argosys for quite a few years, but this little one is my "keeper"! I got a 1/2 ton Chevy Astro van to pull it with as opposed to all the big vehicles I've had in the past.
Cheers,
Elisa
Old 03-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I have some really good awning tips for those of you who don't have one and want one without spending the Zip Dee big bucks.
Elisa
Welcome Elisa! I would be very interested in hearing about what you've come up with for an awning. My 1972 Tradewind doesn't have one, so alternatives are certainly welcome!

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Does your Tradewind have the little length-wise slot that the old awnings were threaded through? You need that much.
Elisa
Old 03-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Does your Tradewind have the little length-wise slot that the old awnings were threaded through? You need that much.
Elisa
Yes it does, without the awning it looks like a little J in section...sort of like a very small rain gutter.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
OK, mine looks like a C in cross-section. Don't know if this will work for you, but here goes: I found and bought a vintage awning that had the rope through it so that it could be fed through that length-wise slot track. But it was really hard to get in there, and then I did not have the strength to pull it through. All this while balancing on a ladder.... So I took the awning and sewed patches on it every 12 inches, sewing back and forth to create a very strong area. I sewed a patch on either end and then every 12 inches in between the two ends. I then put brass grommets through each reinforced sewn patch. (Buy a grommet kit at a hardware store or maybe Walmart.) I purchased snap clips with an open hook end at the hardware and also an equal number of the smallest (1/8 inch thick) quick links - those ones that have a barrel that screws it shut. I screwed the quick links shut and slid the barrel side into that track on my Argosy. Then I hooked the clip snaps onto the awning and the other end onto the link in the track slot. I had to get a ladder to do this, so I ended up buying a 4" aluminum folding ladder that I can take with me in the Argosy. I got a decent buy on Ebay for the one I wanted, but it was still about $80. After the awning is up on the trailer slot, you take the awning poles and run them through the outside edge and tie them down with stakes. So you have an awning, which you can make or have made, poles, stakes, rope, quick links, snap clips with end hooks, a grommet kit and a sewing machine to strenthen your awning. I can take photos tomorrow if you want - gotta go out tonight and fiddle around some.
Cheers,
Elisa
Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
That sounds a lot like the awning set up for our old tent trailer when I was a kid. No pictures needed for me, as I can picture in my mind exactly what you're talking about. Thanks very much for taking the time to write that out!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Yo, let me know if that will work for you! It beat the heck outta paying for a Zip Dee, and it fits my vintage look! The Zip Dee awnings can also be difficult to put up - I had one on a 28 foot Argosy.
Elisaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I still get a chuckle from the notion that people consider the seventies "vintage"
Old 03-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Ah, I am on the SW coast of Florida - where the pickin' is good outdoors, even in the winter! (Although February was too cold for my fingers...) The festival is in Arcadia and can be found under the website for the Southwest Florida Bluegrass Association. I have had Airstreams and Argosys for quite a few years, but this little one is my "keeper"! I got a 1/2 ton Chevy Astro van to pull it with as opposed to all the big vehicles I've had in the past.
Cheers,
Elisa
Welcome Elisa. I used to have the same setup, an Astro Van and an Argosy 20. The Argosy was a little small for two umm, "widebodies", and a hyperactive dog, so we wound up with an Overlander. We also live in SW Fla, but we are here all year, with the exception of the occasional hurricane evacuation. If you need something for your little Argosy, PM me, I may still have the parts lying around here that you need.
Here is something coming up in our neghborhood that may interest you. Or maybe not:
FLYWHEELERS ANTIQUE ENGINE SHOW
Date: March 18 & 19, 2006 - 9:00 am to 5 pm
Description: Dozens of antique engines of all types, cars, tractors and gadgets will be on display throughout the historic settlement.
Fees: Admission is the normal park entry fee.

Special Events for KoreshanState Historic Site

oKoreshan State Historic Site
Southwest Region
239-992-0311

A boat ramp and canoe rentals are available. Visitors can take self-guided tours of the settlement or a ranger-guided tour. For overnight stays, the park has a full-facility campground. Campers can enjoy campfire programs every Saturday night from January through March. Located on U.S. 41 at Corkscrew Road.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Fiddlelisa ?????????????

Kinda has a ring to it........I think
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Maybe a harmonic overtone???
Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #19