Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
Karnack , Texas
New to Airstream

Hi all! I purchased a “69 overlander about a month ago and doing a total frame up rebuild by myself. Tackling removal of the belly pan today actually. Planning to full time live in mine and hope to continue to restore more in the future(lets see how this one goes first ). Little stressed about tackling plumbing and electrical and got lots of question but taking it one day at a time.
Glad to be part of the airstream family
Shannonsol71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Welcome and good luck with your rebuild. Take a lot of pictures and dont hesitate to ask questions here when you need help, since a lot of us have been down this road.

Building out a mobile living space that exactly fits your needs is a long and difficult process, but the payoff is fantastic. Posting this message while parked in a free camp site in a beautiful location, fully off-grid and solar powered, while taking a break from my remote work.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to Air Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. I believe you will find all the answers to your project questions here on Air Forums. I have been helped a lot with my questions right here.

The Greatleys built a "tiny house" as they call it from an Overlander for full time living. Their blog is a great read. The needs for full time living can be different than an occasional travel trailer. Actually, Airstream trailers aren't particularly designed as a 4 season rig or for full timing. I store mine during the winter months. That said, many folks live in their full time and you can too. Full time rigs usually have more robust appliances (furnaces, AC, water heaters, insulation, etc.). So that may be a consideration in your build.

I bought a 75 Overlander last fall and I've been working on repairs and improvements this winter. It is not a total rebuild like you're doing. I'm happy to share what I might know with you. My project thread is linked below if you are interested at all.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	419
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	307852  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Welcome to the forum. You're going to like it a lot here. Good luck with your rebuild. Happy to hear you are going to get an oldie back on the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Welcome and congrats on your '69, a unique year for Airstream. If your front windows are still original, you'll note the side wings are curved at top and square at the bottom. This was the only year Airstream did that. Your ceiling may also have two reinforcement channels running along the center panel, again unique to '69 I'm told. This was also the first year of a new body style and curved windows on the sides. Airstream also put ingenious light-weight, honey-comb core cabinet doors in this year. The trailers of this vintage are remarkable for how light weight they are for their size, which makes them great for towing and traveling. There are also super-cool design touches that simply are not available in current models, like the step with the curved front that when stowed, blends into the curved belly, and the forged aluminum exterior power outlets that close flush with the body.

Take some time as you disassemble things to study how they put it together, and try to figure out why things were done the way they were. Sometimes, this will give you greater insight into something clever or smart. Sometimes you will figure out an even better way or a way that better serves your needs. And sometimes, you will find something awful, and wonder "what were they thinking?!"

Most of all, have fun with it!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the trailerhood. You’ll have fun on the renovation and learn a lot of new skills. You live in one of the neatest part of the state. It’s hard to beat Caddo Lake area. I’m a little biased cause I was born right up the road in Jefferson. Have fun and don’t be shy about asking questions. I’ve been there and done that. Good luck, Bubba
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote