Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Seeking a Sport 16

Currently Looking...
Courtenay , British Columbia
New member from Vancouver Island

Greetings Airstreamers!

We are recently retired and are looking forward to traveling North America on and off-pavement in our Toyota 4Runner with its 5000 pound maximum towing capacity.

We are interested in learning more about which Airstream travel trailers can be safely pulled with our vehicle, and would like to purchase a unit, new or used, once we are clear on the best choice.

We will greatly appreciate any advice we find in the forums, and any tips that experienced owners have time to send our way.

Thanks!
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! With 5000 lb max you will be looking at Bambi's unless you make a trip to CamAm. We have an 06 Bambi and love it! It might be a bit small for cross country trips but we love the size and it can fit in any park. Good luck with your search.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Welcome fellow Canadian!

My recommendation is to think about what size of Airstream you REALLY want (go explore a few showroom models) and if the size of AS you feel you really want to travel in exceeds your current 4Runner's towing capacity, seriously consider upgrading to a different tow vehicle. If a Bambi seems big enough for you, enjoy!

Most people keep their Airstreams much longer than their tow vehicle, and often upgrade to a longer model if they buy too small an Airstream in the first place.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Seeking a Sport 16

Currently Looking...
Courtenay , British Columbia
Thanks, blmitch and kevin242. I should have explained that we will be taking short trips, 5-7 nights, for the time being, and also travelling between BC and AZ (4 or 5 nights) to a family park model and Arizona room on a lot there. So a 16' to 19' trailer ought to do for now, as long as it is light enough to be towed behind our 5Runner.
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to you question, I agree that a Bambi or Sport in the 16 to 19 foot range would work with your 4runner. I would try to stay with the 19 Bambi as it has separate gray and black tanks and a dry bath. If one of these will work for, go for it.

Remember, though, that tow vehicles come and go, but Airstreams endure. People very often regret selecting an Airstream based upon the tow vehicle that happens to be sitting in their driveway this morning.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight
Thanks, blmitch and kevin242. I should have explained that we will be taking short trips, 5-7 nights, for the time being, and also travelling between BC and AZ (4 or 5 nights) to a family park model and Arizona room on a lot there. So a 16' to 19' trailer ought to do for now, as long as it is light enough to be towed behind our 5Runner.
If that's the case a 19' Bambi will be perfect! We love ours but when we decide to camp for weeks at a time we will jump up to the 25'. The 23' is also a very nice unit but we love our little Bambi. Good luck and happy hunting.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hello and welcome Catchlight.
I'm just across the border in SNOB (some where North of Bellingham).
I concur that all though you may be spending as much time in the TV as the trailer whilst traveling, the TV should be secondary to your choice of AS model as you do a lot more than just sit in it.
I've cruised up and down Vanc. Isl. a few times, love it, especially the NW coast for storm watching "Tofino's the way to go"!!
If you are considering heading to the AS dealer in Seattle which should be opening soon or the one in Portland, do drop by for a visit, I'm 5 min. off I-5
might help you in making a decision to see a 25'
Best of luck in your search
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Welcome fellow NWer, we're down in Kirkland. Vancouver Island is on top of our short list, can't wait to check out Tofino. We do short trips every 2-3 weeks in our 19' Bambi and love it. At first we were kinda freaking out (mostly my wife) that we should have gone larger but after 2-3 trips we got into the groove of a smaller trailer and never looked back. I vote or 19' Bambi.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Bambi vs Safari

Hi AlumFalcon:
I like the Bambi's also but I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the Safari so I needed a little more room. Don't plan on trailering much at all as Tinbad is my home on the farm so to speak. And what he does not have I'm adding in the barn (ie: laundry, kitchenette (for those culinary fiestas that make a lot of smell) and maybe a second toilet for guests.
See pic for an idea.
PS: if you're in need of an overnight just before heading across the border or just want to hobnob ....pls. drop by. I'm in SNOB...somewhere north of Bellingham
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6094.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	129206  
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kamloops , british columbia
Welcome Catch, we picked our 16ft up at Traveland in Langley. Size...if you can do 19 go with 19. The fridge size and the black grey interfere with staying in one place too long. Food not so much, but yes we do have to hit the sani-dump more often that I like.
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Sometimes you just have to go against the grain and forget old time sayings. In this case, you should put the "cart before the horse" as others have said. We only want the AS we have, a 19 ft Bambi SE. We have enough pulling power for most others (a 2011 F150 Ecoboost, six cylinder rated at 11,300 towing) but are only towing 4,500 #. So buy the trailer you really want, and then buy the horse. You will be happier "down the road".
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gurney
PS: if you're in need of an overnight just before heading across the border or just want to hobnob ....pls. drop by. I'm in SNOB...somewhere north of Bellingham
Cheers
Thats a nice setup, the aluminum falcon would love it's own garage. I'll ping you before I head into Canada, thanks for offer.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
In general, the older "vintage" Airstreams are lighter than the modern ones so you get more space per pound. They often require renovation, though, so what you choose in that department depends on how much time and effort (and tools) you want to put into your trailer at home vs. on the road.