Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Hello from Newbies in Wyoming!

Hi everyone! We are first time AS people, just purchased our 2018 22FB Bambi last week and will be picking her up on July 4th.

We have always been "tent" people during our early years when the girls were growing up, but now entering retirement an Airstream is the way we want to go.

Our TV is a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Premium with a 8-speed 5.4 liter V8, full tow package and trailer braking system.

Our first planned trip for the new Bambi is going to be a "dry-run" in the driveway - thankfully we have a driveway long enough for it and a car or two :0)

If there is anyone who has considered coming to Wyoming for a trip then let me know as there are far better places to see in our state than just Yellowstone and the Tetons....most of us Wyomingites don't waste our summer trips just to get stuck in shoulder-season!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
Hello and welcome, friends! I'd love to see some pictures of your setup when you have a chance! Get that rig setup and make yourself a meal in it and let us see how it looks! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves even if it is in your drive. My kids are begging me to take them camping, "in our yard."
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #3

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
I will most definitely share photos! We are excited for our first "dry-launching"!
Old 06-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to AS world. Now the fun begins.

Wyoming is a beautiful state and I'd love to know where the best places are to visit. But I don't have any trips planned for the immediate future. But maybe I can get some ideas from others who are planning trips.

All the best on your "dry run"!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Hans627;
Some great places to look at are throughout the Big Horn Mountains - especially the northern part of the state around Sheridan, Ranchester-Dayton then over the Big Horns into Shell and Greybull. These are quiet, sleepy little towns that have great people and wonderful scenery!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfate View Post
Hans627;
Some great places to look at are throughout the Big Horn Mountains - especially the northern part of the state around Sheridan, Ranchester-Dayton then over the Big Horns into Shell and Greybull. These are quiet, sleepy little towns that have great people and wonderful scenery!
Agreed, just don’t tell too many people! We spent a few days at Sibley Lake a couple of years ago, wonderful area up there.

And quite entertaining coming down the West side with the trailer as well.
MIFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #8

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
You must have taken 14A down the west side of the Big Horns....I rarely take a passenger vehicle on that route myself! lol! Next time take 14 to Shell, still a bit steep but doesn't scare the sole to the point of puckering-up :0)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
You must have taken 14A down the west side of the Big Horns....I rarely take a passenger vehicle on that route myself! lol! Next time take 14 to Shell, still a bit steep but doesn't scare the sole to the point of puckering-up :0)
Not to mention, the frost heave on 14A east of Lovell has gotten really bad over the last couple of years. You'll darn near bounce your camper off the side of the cliff.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
That's for sure! I try and avoid 14A at any cost, even though it is a spectacular drive. That is a stretch that is hard for WYDOT to maintain and repair as it is covered most of the year in snow. Some years they barely get it open before July 4th.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I towed my 25' across 14A headed east, early July a few years ago. That grade does have some pucker factor but wasn't too bad. It hailed about 4" deep as we were going up. Had to stop and wait on the roadside for it to melt before heading down.
There was even a DOT truck with a scraper blade clearing the road. Crazy weather!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #12

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowmercy View Post
Hello and welcome, friends! I'd love to see some pictures of your setup when you have a chance! Get that rig setup and make yourself a meal in it and let us see how it looks! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves even if it is in your drive. My kids are begging me to take them camping, "in our yard."
We are picker her up tomorrow - will post pictures of the "grand voyage" home along with her parking place in the driveway :0)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #13

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Got her home!

We got her home yesterday! Here is my full-rig: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Premium with full tow package & trailer braking system, 2018 @@FB Bambi Sport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Rig.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	482.7 KB
ID:	371581  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming is Boondocking Heaven

Quote:
We got her home yesterday! Here is my full-rig: 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Premium with full tow package & trailer braking system, 2018 @@FB Bambi Sport.
Lived in Cheyenne and Laramie to fight off mosquitos and shovel snow in June.

Frontier Park. Great spot to Boondock and a get a taste of away. If you have Solar, it will be a breeze. If not, watch the battery usage. (I see now over night camping is not permitted today. Frontier Days... use to always have campers. Get a horse and you will be OK?)

You have the tow vehicle and the trailer. Get both dirty. They wash well. Snowy Range... whoooo hooo and mosquito swarms come and go. Some great campsites there and west.

When you find something at Frontier Park Boondocking needed... make a list. It will get longer as you are parked. Someday... maybe a month or a year... you will be hauling everything needed to survive Wyoming's weather.

By this time... you will be ready to depart County 2 and time to explore.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #15

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Lived in Cheyenne and Laramie to fight off mosquitos and shovel snow in June.

Frontier Park. Great spot to Boondock and a get a taste of away. If you have Solar, it will be a breeze. If not, watch the battery usage. (I see now over night camping is not permitted today. Frontier Days... use to always have campers. Get a horse and you will be OK?)

You have the tow vehicle and the trailer. Get both dirty. They wash well. Snowy Range... whoooo hooo and mosquito swarms come and go. Some great campsites there and west.

When you find something at Frontier Park Boondocking needed... make a list. It will get longer as you are parked. Someday... maybe a month or a year... you will be hauling everything needed to survive Wyoming's weather.

By this time... you will be ready to depart County 2 and time to explore.
Ray, I live 2 1/2 blocks from Frontier Park, which means 2 1/2 blocks from Frontier Days (been in our house now for 33 years). I don't need to boondock in Frontier Park! My office for work is right smack-dab in the middle of the Pancake breakfast, parades, etc. for Frontier Days (20 yrs now).

You can now see my "thread" on the whole Frontier Days thing...while it's great & fun for the visitors that it brings in great people; for us that live in the middle and work in the middle of it...ugh! This year will be interesting as the committee decided to cancel the event due to corona - though decision, but smart one.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Ray, I live 2 1/2 blocks from Frontier Park, which means 2 1/2 blocks from Frontier Days (been in our house now for 33 years). I don't need to boondock in Frontier Park! My office for work is right smack-dab in the middle of the Pancake breakfast, parades, etc. for Frontier Days (20 yrs now).

You can now see my "thread" on the whole Frontier Days thing...while it's great & fun for the visitors that it brings in great people; for us that live in the middle and work in the middle of it...ugh! This year will be interesting as the committee decided to cancel the event due to corona - though decision, but smart one.

Oh yeah... the Pancake Breakfast during Frontier Days. Monty Montana would be on his horse entertaining the crowd at Sunrise just off of 16th and Warren St right outside my apartment window in 1970.

Then came sunset and watched the Cowboys fighting in the street on 17th and Warren where the Bars ran until the crowd left of fell asleep. The Street was blocked off as the Bar(s) could not hold the crowd inside. The Wild West of Cheyenne!

Then my parents lived on Snyder about two blocks south of Frontier Park. A neighbor living three houses from us here in Boulder City, NV lived around the corner in Cheyenne... and her husband was on the Wyoming Cowboy football team in 1972.

This is how a 'small town' operates. Even a Capital of a State can be small town.

No place to park an Airstream, and barely a second vehicle. Hail... one way we trimmed our trees and raked the leaves knocked off, killing birds and breaking windows. Ohhhhh Weeee. Go Pokes!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #17

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Yup Ray...the good ol' days of Harley riders driving through the in & out door of the Mayflower.
I grew up on 5th and Carey and remember one night while my parents were out and my sister and I were home, some cowboy decided to sit on our front porch and consumed a six-pack.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Mantua , Ohio
While i can’t relate to the cowboy talk, i can sure relate to what a fancy rig you guys got!! I bet it feels so good to have it home and get to use it! Congrats! I hope it serves you really well and you make a lifetime of memories with it.
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #19

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowmercy View Post
While i can’t relate to the cowboy talk, i can sure relate to what a fancy rig you guys got!! I bet it feels so good to have it home and get to use it! Congrats! I hope it serves you really well and you make a lifetime of memories with it.
Thanks! We've been shining her up over the last week....I have even used her as my office for a couple of mornings as my wifi is adjacent to the driveway - it's been fun making some of my office workers jealous :0) I've been working from home in our basement since mid March, so it is nice to be "outdoors" on an occasion to get some warmth.

We found a wonderful enclosed storage place just north of us so it will be a great central location to pick up and drop off.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #20
Need to use it more...

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
New 20'

kpfate,

Your rig looks great! Have a wonderful time and enjoy and be safe.

We picked up our AS in November 2017 in Orange County CA. We were advised to do what you're doing: take it home and put it in the driveway for a few weeks before attempting a trip, so we could get used to it.

Had to explain to the dealer that that wasn't really possible, because we live in Houston, and were leaving that day for our trip (via Grand Canyon and Sedona) back to Houston.

So we had some interesting experiences that made us laugh... at times we were reminded of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez in the Long Long Trailer.

You're starting a great adventure... don't forget to smile.

Chuck
ChuckieB is offline   Reply With Quote