Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question POR-15 alternative? How bout Rustoleum?

My 63 Overlander is gutted and ready for rust preventative measures. I do not want the expense of mail ordering Por-15 and prefer to buy a simpler solution...Question... Is there a realistic alternative available? I saw Rustolem Heavy Rust spray today. Anybody have an opinion on Rustoleum?
Please advise. I want to get started this weekend. Thanks to all! Z.

PS- An auto store today recommeded I spray with a primer then use a auto underbody spray...Hows that sound?
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Exclamation Por-15

Bite the bullet. This is no time to hurry up your resto. Por-15 is the way to go. You'l be glad you did.

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
When you used Por-15, did you have your underbelly/pan off so you could cover all of the steel? My pan is on and I will not be able to paint the bottom of the steel. Please advise. Z.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
don't do it

I used it on my Caravels' steel parts. Had rust thru within months. The same result on other parts painted with it around the Ranch. Go for POR.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream
I do not want the expense of mail ordering Por-15 and prefer to buy a simpler solution
Check you local automotive paint suppliers. That is where I found mine and about the same price as online with freight. You might even think about calling paint and body shops. They are the ones who pointed me in the right direction.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Epoxy primer is an alternative

If you have an auto spray painter you can use automotive epoxy primer. I've used PPG DPLF epoxy primer to seal an Airstream Frame. Both DPLF and POR15 when dry, seal the metal underneath from air and thus stop the oxidation process. DPLF is a 2 part paint that "chemically" drys or hardens.

I also use POR15. Both work very well. I use DPLF when I can spray the metal and use POR when a paint brush is more suitable. I never put POR in my paint gun.

If you buy POR15, buy the POR solvent to use to cleanup with. I think its lacquer thinner.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
If I had Herb's talents, I'd probably try the DPLF, but I'm a rookie I used POR and a product by Eastwood's for the Silver areas of the frame. POR wins hands down. The Eastwood's started to rust thru in spots in just a few months. POR is messy and a bit difficult to work with, but is the best product for the job, IMHO.

I bought mine from a local auto paint store. Check the POR website and see if you locate a dealer near you. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Go with the POR. I have used it and I'm glad that I did. You will be happy with the results.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
I see step 2 of the Por15 procedure is Metal-Ready. What keeps Metal-ready from reeking havoc on the underbelly pan? Zinc Phosphate is compatiable with aluminum long term?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream
I see step 2 of the Por15 procedure is Metal-Ready. What keeps Metal-ready from reeking havoc on the underbelly pan?
removing the belly pan.

if you're not removing the belly pan and PORing the WHOLE frame, then you're wasting your time and money, because that's where the rusting out will eventually happen. it's like sealing a window on three sides and leaving the fourth side open for leaks.

take the time to remove the belly pan and use the POR. you'll be glad you did.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
As good as Por-15 is reputed to be, there are other measures that could help.
First we all must realize that unless the floor is completely removed that the tops of the c-channel frames will not be reachable for any coating to cover and seal. The rest of the frame channel will prob be less than 100% accessable also. However it is foolish not to do all possible while you have access to the area.
I would try to remove the heavy rust scale with wire brushes and elec.drill motor w/ wire cup . Do not try to brush all way to bright metal. You need a bit of rust for the acid (OSPHO) to do it's work optimally..
Then douse with OSPHO rust converter (about $24 dollars a gallon). Brush it on and spray it where you cant brush with a simple spray bottle. It is water thin and a gallon goes a long long way. Put it everywhere not just on rust areas. It still becomes a great primer even on sound metal. It should be kept out of your eyes but you will undoubtedly splash some on your hands and skin. It will need to be rinsed off you, but not immediately, and is not overly "hot" nor dangerous. Just keep a wet towel nearby while under the trailer. Let it do it's magic for a couple of days, you'll see it working immediately. (it converts iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate). It also becomes an excellent first primer.But the conversion must be sealed within a week or so at most.
Next get everything covered with red oxide primer (oil based). I'd brush it on, spraying only where I couldnt brush. Zinc Chromate Primer (yellow) would be better but I think it has been outlawed to gen.public.
Put the red oxide on heavy but thin some of it with paint thinner and let that thin paint wick into areas such as the edges of the top of the channel that are non-accessable.
Wear a cap or stocking on head cause your gonna get some in your hair otherwise.
Many people quit here, but idealy another coat of a good enamal should be placed over the red primer after 4 or so good dry humidity days.
The key to all of this is the OSPHO. It is used and touted by many merchant marine users and much of the industrial users on the gulf coast and the oil and refinery industries.

Rustoleum without the first two steps is not the answer. However Rustoleum makes an acceptable red oxide (oil based) primer for the 2nd step. And they make of course enamels for the 3rd step.

I do not think there is ANY one-step solution to successfully fend off rusting metal, for long.

If you are timid about OSPHO there are supposedly alternatives (but I doubt their effectiveness). I have used OSPHO for years with no known harm to myself. Lowes used to sell a copy-cat called Jasco I believe. It is very similar to OSPHO, but why not go with the known brand..? anyway here is a thread for the timid. Also I would suggest a search here in the forums under Ospho.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f477...pers-6438.html

.airforums.com/forums/f477/sharing-my-research-about-how-cure-rusty-bumpers-6438.html
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Vintage has some pretty good prices on POR-15 products...and it is at your door 2 days later.

(I love those guys...aren't they awesome?)

Did some POR-15 this time last year, still holding up pretty well, I'll second everyone lese's opinion. Don't skimp. For the average Joe w/out a paint booth, grinders, etc, it is the way to go.

Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have tried Por 15. It seems to be a good product but very involved. I have also used Chassis Saver Paint epoxy paint. Seems to be good stuff with less hassle. It can also be found at a automotive paint store.
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

I have also had good luck with Eastwoods Products but I found the Chassis Saver paint had a lot of body to it filled the pits in the metal.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think it also depends on where you live - here in NM, nothing rusts so I did use rustoleum - if I lived where its wet, would definitely use por 15

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
you'll be sorry

I've used POR 15 on my car restoration projects. There is no substitute. I can get it at the local automotive paint store. They recommend it.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Using Por-15:

Do not get the paint on your glasses.
I still have specs on my lens from painting the frame from underneath.

I will need new glasses shortly anyway.

Takes about 2 days of wear for Por-15 to rub off your hands.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #17
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Rust in the midwest???

Ken, My AS will reside in Indiana most of the time. Would you think I could get away with rustoleum here? Did you use spray Rustoleum for Heavy Rust?
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I think it also depends on where you live - here in NM, nothing rusts so I did use rustoleum - if I lived where its wet, would definitely use por 15

Ken J.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I was lucky - my trailer did not have heavy rust see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ion-12320.html - however this is a very dry climate - after two years or so the frame still looks great. I don't know about Indiana - I know I would not use Rustoleum in costal areas, or anywhere where its humid or rains a lot.

In my case I figured if the frame had not rusted in almost 50 years, it wasn't going to start anytime soon.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
structural help

our Lotus Europa's frame is essentially a sheet metal box. The restoration types who know a lot about the vehicle say that POR 15 is the only product that incorporates the rusted material to restore some of the structural integrity of the metal. They actually recommend just steel brushing off the loose rust but not sanding to brite metal. I don't think that any of the other paint products with the exception of the epoxy's will restore structural integrity.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The magic of POR-15 is corrosion will not undercut the painted surface - and that's getting rid of only the rusted areas' scaly surface or any other debris present, it actually likes the pitted surface and light rust to key into. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it...