Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Frame crack and other frame issues

Hello,
I have a 1967 Overlander that I have removed the belly skin to start applying por 15 to try an persevere frame as long as possible and noticed a couple spots that need attention.

First is the A frame, the metal bar that runs perpendicular to where the A Frame starts to for a triangle is rusted through. In the right bottom side you can see silver where its rusted through. Can you just cut out and weld in new steel? Its the picture where you can see jack.

Second and what I am more concerned about is a crack in the frame near where outriggers next to steps are welded. You can see its cracked through frame and it looks like someone tried repairing it awhile back with a plate on the bottom. I am wondering if its fixable and if so could be as simple as sistering/welding in plates on both sides for reinforcement?

Third issue have an a couple outriggers that need replaced one has rusted a hole in the frame. Can I just spot weld hole and weld in new outriggers without removing frame?
Thanks,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Frame.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	318480   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack-under door.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	318481  

Name:	crack-under-door-2.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	318482   Click image for larger version

Name:	outriger2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	318483  

Name:	outrigger-1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	318484   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame-crack-picture3.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	318485  

ns1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
You can repair the frames as you have suggested. I have done this for my trailer. The guidelines I try and follow:
1) provide full access to the area to be repaired,
2) grind down to clean metal,
3) cut the new part to provide full coverage, extend the repair beyond the damage (think about what that part is doing and make sure there is enough new material to do the job better than original (in latter years AS upped there frame steel),
4) stitch weld, 1" then a 3" space,
5) add new parts in places where the span was too great to help with the load,
6) go up a couple of metal thickness steps to add strength while allowing the welder to match the heat setting for both the old and new steel.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
A couple things to note when fish plating , always round the corners of the fish plates, 90 degree corners are a no no.(stress risers) If the fish plates are thicker than the base material, start welding on the thicker material and wash the weld into the thinner.

here's some good reading:

https://www.trailer-bodybuilders.com...s-truck-frames