RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Leaky shower and other issues

We just got back from a three week trip to Destin, Florida. Uncovered some issues we're not too happy about. The shower leaks from the inside because of a poor caulking job. Floor and carpet kept getting wet everytime we showered. I watched from the outside to make sure it wasn't coming from under the door, and discovered it was where the two shower surround pieces are joined together and caulked (or not in our case!) We had it to the dealer one time to have the caulk replaced, but they did a poor job.

We also have screws, rivets or whatever they use on the floor showing through the vinyl. I see 5 raised areas when looking across the floor.

There is a raised area on the floor under the dinette which appears to be a cross support.

And lastly, when making the dinette into a lounge area, there are two rubber washers under the table that I assume are suppose to fit on either side for support, but they were placed in the wrong spot so when one is in place, the other is on the edge. This caused a crushing on the edge of the fiber board used for the seat on one side and has worn the fabric through on the other.

As winter is approaching, we'll be taking it back to the dealer and I believe it has to be taken to the factory to have the floor fixed and replaced. We'll have them fix everything at that time. Since they have to take everything out to replace the floor, I may rip out the carpet and have vinyl put in the bedroom as well. Much easier to keep clean!

Teresa
tport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. We had the same issue with the plastic "pegs" on the dinette table not lining up. I ended up just taking them both off and letting the table sit flat on the seats. It does not seem to move at all and we used it that way many times during the summer with no problems.

On the leaking shower, are you 100% sure it is not leaking from near the door hinge and running down the wall at the bottom of the door? Ours was and it was a matter of adjusting the clear plastic sealing flap. Also, if the trailer is not level side to side we noticed the leaking at the shower door was worse.

Good luck getting it brought up to spec.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have the same problem. The Factory repaired it once. It happened again. I repaired it. It happened again. I made sure I got the caulk as far in as I could. I am going to try again this time a q-tip and de-natured alcohol to get the surface as clean as possible.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We took out the folding shower door and assembly and hung a shower curtain. I re-caulked and used white tape; we no longer get a wet floor. The factory is too far away and the dealer majored in sales.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
We also have screws, rivets or whatever they use on the floor showing through the vinyl. I see 5 raised areas when looking across the floor.

This is the number one problem with sheet vinyl, telegraphing through the vinyl very common. It is absolutly necessary to have a smooth flat surface under the sheet goods. The current sheet goods can not be fixed if it was a glue down installation. Two methods of repair are: 1. Fill the pattern on the installed vinyl and put a new sheet down. This is not reccomended due to the filler cracking due to vibration. 2. Put down a thicker floor cover such as wood or Pergo. These will not telegraph imperfections of the sub-floor.
I would opt. for #2.

There is a raised area on the floor under the dinette which appears to be a cross support.
Do you have a spare tire installed under that position? I have found that Airstream designed the frame on some models for a spare tire compartment in that location. In doing so the support for the floor is missing. The use of a thicker and stiffer floor will help hide this problem.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
OK. I had the same leak on an 06 Safari. Have the same leak on an 07 Classic. I tried all the silicone in the world - esp at the bottom of the door, hinge side. tended to help a little. Water still coming out from under the wood work at the bottom. I just now went out, removed the door. Eurecka! a hole large enough to stick my screwdriver in which lead to the space between the fiberglas shower and the wood. It is now filled with silicone. Will let you know if it is the final fix after the next trip.
Scott

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Pictures

Could you please post pics of the area that was leaking and what you did.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Don't think the pictures would show much since I've reinstalled the door pp actually the door and the frame it is hinged to. It is held on by three screws. the u channel with hinge and door then is removed. my hole was at the bottom where the wall mounted u channel is. look at the bottom where the lower shower case meets the wall, or should. that is where my hole was. sorry it is covered up now.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I will pass on a tip on caulking, which I have used on boats and trailers. I use a set of magnifying glasses with a good flash light to exam the area. You will be surprised what you see with big eyes and good light.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tport40
we'll be taking it back to the dealer and I believe it has to be taken to the factory to have the floor fixed and replaced. We'll have them fix everything at that time...
hi theresa and welcome to the 'joys' of a/s ownership....

IF you've got warranty repair issues that YOUR dealer cannot fix...

you might want to look for a better regarded dealer/service center near by...

better service can be had at the factory, sometimes...

my unit has been back to j/c 3 times for about 8-10 days of work...

here are some reality checkpoints...

-if it needs to go to the factory, YOU will have to tow it there or pay someone to do that.

-seldom (almost never) will the factory cover the costs of getting the unit to j/c, not many dealers will either.

-the floor issues you report are VERY common, along with squeaks, cuts, gouges and other floor blemishes...

-generally a/s WILL NOT authorize a floor replacement without HEROIC EFFORT from the owner...

-the crappy thin sheet vinyl is 'free floating' except at the perimeter, so there isn't any glue under it. JUNK YES, but no glue...

-it IS stapled/tacked at the edges only and along the carpet line...

-yes the ENTIRE interior is placed on top of the flooring and must be removed for a 'like original' replacement...

-so the expense is the LABOR side, the flooring is pretty cheap and comes out-goes in quickly...

-some folks have laid new flooring over the vinyl with quarter round trim along all the cabinets

-the bed and sofa and dinette come out quickly, but some of the other stuff like the kitchen and bath, don't.

'flyfisher' a member here for 4 years has documented pretty well his floor issue and the FRUSTRATION he had trying to resolve it...

here are just 2 threads, but he has a boat load of posts on poor workmanship in his unit and some of the challenges of dealing with j/c...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f249...hip-11154.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...not-26786.html

i don't perceive him has a whiner or the issues as unreasonable, but it's very hard to read the stuff he's documented...

and many, many, many of us have had good experiences in j/c (2 out a 3 trips for me) but we've all paid to go there...

i'm just suggesting that you NOT be surprised (and get prepared) if/when a/s balks at your floor issues...

PLEASE keep us posted on how this is resolved...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote