Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Wichita , Kansas
Alternate

We just bought our first Airstream this summer. A 25' International was only a year old and had minimal use. While not across the entire country it was a significant distance. I am in the aviation industry and tailored my purchase similar to an aircraft transaction. It is typical to review all specifications, maintenance records and pictures, electronically and make a contingent offer, ultimately negotiating the sale prior to seeing the aircraft. The offer gave me 7-10 days to view the camper and the option to remove the contingency if another offer was made in the meantime.

Once with the camper I had coordinated for it to be completely powered up and went through all systems to verify they were working.

If I were to do something different I would have coordinated for a current owner or technician to be onsite to assist in the eval. I wanted to do a "Prebuy" at the near by Airstream dealer but the shop was booked out for 60 days.

I preferred this method as I did not want to travel to see a camper that I couldn't come to terms and price over.

T
Huskerlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #42

Grand Junction , CO
Hello - My husband and I have also been looking for an Airstream and found one in Wichita Falls, TX advertised in Air Forums earlier this month. We live in Colorado, and, I contacted the seller, Kandie, twice to discuss the availability and the possibility of flying to Wichita Falls to see the trailer. Kandie agreed to hold the trailer (at no cost) for me and my husband if we could get there before Thanksgiving. So, I confirmed with her immediately before purchasing the airline tickets to make sure that they would hold the trailer for us until we could get there and she confirmed that they would. I purchased the $1000, non-refundable tickets and 4 days later, she texted me to let me know that they had someone else come by and offer her full price for the trailer, which she accepted. That left us with $1000 non-refundable airline tickets to somewhere we will never visit. She offered no apology. Now we are out $1000. So, my advice is to be extremely careful about paying out any money towards the purchase of a trailer unless you are willing to risk losing the money unnecessarily.
vbrines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #43
Kathryn Mackay

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Victoria , British Columbia
I bought a 2010 19’er, sight unseen, with a small deposit and an offer from the sellers to bring it to me. It was pristine and we negotiated a price on the spot, as they were on their way to their new home and I was (remarkably) living close to their route.

When I sold that wonderful FC unit, my Calgary buyer put a small deposit down to hold it and flew immediately from Calgary to Kelowna to be sure it was as I described it. He was thrilled and paid full price with an arrangement to compensate me for delivering it to him, as he didn’t have a tow vehicle yet. The delivery trip was fun for me! We went together to transfer the ownership and license, etc and went to the bank together to pick up the bank draft. It was a great experience.

Now I have a 2013 Eddie Bauer 25’er that I bought new that will sadly soon be for sale, due to a permanent injury I have suffered. He’s not listed yet but will be on the forum soon. I am in Victoria British Columbia. I understand how big a purchase late model Airstreams are and how concerned long distance buyers can be. I agree that a personal inspection is the best choice, or a trusted inspector, if available.

From a seller’s perspective, I would say, any buyer has to satisfy themselves completely on any used AS, and learn everything they can about the systems BEFORE they undertake a good, deep, thorough inspection! No honourable seller wants to transfer problems to an excited new buyer but I’m sure there are those that would take advantage of naive enthusiasts. So educate yourselves as best you can before shopping, then go over every inch. Ask if there is anything broken or malfunctioning, because it’s easy to be swept away or blinded by the allure of AS’s!
kjbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
I bought one sight unseen in FL after talking to the owner I just had a good feeling about it and the owner seemed honest and reliable. Others were interested but wanted to look at it first or get it inspected and couldn’t get there right away. I got it because I was the first one to put a deposit on it and make arrangements to pick it up and I’m glad I did. It has been a great trailer. The old adage - if you snooze you lose.
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Most deals on most things work out. It this enough money that it would matter if it didn't work out?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #46
Need to use it more...

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Purchasing Airstream Across The Country

I agree with another poster who suggests you take a cheap flight and make a mini vacation out of it. No substitute for seeing the trailer yourself. You're getting ready to make a big investment, and buying blind can result in surprises. You'll get a better idea of where and how it's been stored and meet the owners.

(One thing you have to agree upon with the current owner is that you have first right of refusal on the trailer. The last thing you want to do is spend money and time on the flight to have the trailer sold out from underneath you.)

I bought our Flying Cloud 23FB that way. We flew from Houston to Orange County, met the owners, got to see the trailer in great detail, and then negotiated a deal. We then had a great weekend, and returned to Houston excited. A couple of months later, when our schedule allowed, we drove out, hooked up the trailer and headed back east for our very first trailer experience. Some of the events were reminiscent of "Long Long Trailer," with Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball. We saw the Mojave Desert, the Grand Canyon (first time for me), Sedona, and beautiful parts of west Texas, finally arriving at Houston with our new baby.

Have fun!
ChuckieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #47

Grand Junction , CO
Please be cautious when trying to purchase from a seller not located near where you live. We saw an Airstream in the Airstream Classifieds a few weeks ago, contacted the seller in Wichita Falls, TX, and she confirmed that she would hold the trailer for us until we could fly down there to see it. We purchased airline tickets, but, before our flight she sold the trailer to someone else. We are now stuck with $1000 non-refundable airline tickets and didn't even get the chance to see the trailer, which we likely would have bought. Now, we are gun-shy about trying to buy one that isn't within driving distance of where we live.
vbrines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #48
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrines View Post
Please be cautious when trying to purchase from a seller not located near where you live. We saw an Airstream in the Airstream Classifieds a few weeks ago, contacted the seller in Wichita Falls, TX, and she confirmed that she would hold the trailer for us until we could fly down there to see it. We purchased airline tickets, but, before our flight she sold the trailer to someone else. We are now stuck with $1000 non-refundable airline tickets and didn't even get the chance to see the trailer, which we likely would have bought. Now, we are gun-shy about trying to buy one that isn't within driving distance of where we live.
Hi

Not quite as bad as having just closed the door on the moving van and getting a call that the house you are moving into (800 miles away) has been sold to another buyer .... That was fun

Bob
Old 11-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #49
Just RVing

2009 30' Classic
Redmond , Oregon
Where is AS located? I viewed 1 in past and buyer was very satisfied.
Just RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
... suggest... post the location on here and ask for a local member to inspect and report to you ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #51
gsp
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Not quite as bad as having just closed the door on the moving van and getting a call that the house you are moving into (800 miles away) has been sold to another buyer .... That was fun

Bob
You don’t know if vbrines was purchasing & moving into that AS as a full-time residence. You’re not superior to anyone so kill the condescending tone.
gsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp View Post
You don’t know if vbrines was purchasing & moving into that AS as a full-time residence. You’re not superior to anyone so kill the condescending tone.

I think you took his post the wrong way.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp View Post
Take it easy there GSP; Uncle Bob is a respected contributor here and I am sure he was not being condescending...just sharing an experience. If you follow the Forum for a while longer, you may learn that many posts are not what they seem...and most folks are here to help; including a little subtle humor from time to time...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #54
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, I've taken a deep breath ....

The post was *only* to point out that odd things happen on all sorts of large transactions.

Bob
Old 11-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Niantic , Connecticut
One time I flew to N Carolina to inspect a diesel pusher which had passed all of my initial due diligence. I arranged for a local tech to spend the day with me to do a full pre-delivery inspection (pdi). When we arrived, first thing we noticed was the windshield was cracked. Owner neglected to mention this and it could not be seen in photos. When we took it for a test ride the exhaust brake did not work. After going through an extensive checklist and determining the cost to correct the items I tried to renegotiate with the seller. He would not budge on his price so I flew home same day without a deal...but with an education.

Next time, buying a tag axle DP from a Florida dealer, the arrangement was my friend was trading in his trailer and buying my DP, I was picking up my new (to me) dp and we were going on vacation together. Turns out it was smoked in. The arrangement with our friends and our planned vacation to follow sort forced us to follow through on this purchase. In the end, the dealer was able to overcome the smoke smell to our satisfaction and we were on our way.

Also bought a Boston Whaler in Florida during the winter, had it surveyed in advance, drove down, used it for the weekend had it winterized and shrink wrapped and towed it back to CT. Everything went perfectly.

When buying long distance sight unseen you really have to be able to rely on the honesty and character of the seller, negotiate your deal in advance, inspect to confirm things are as represented and you should be good to go. For me, buying long distance has the added benefit of adventure and a road trip or vacation. I’d do it again for sure.

All this being said, my wife and I just ordered a 2020 Classic 30 and will take delivery in late January. That means our lightly used 2018 International Serenity 23FB just became available for purchase and is easy to view in our heated garage.
Chris0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #56

Currently Looking...
Fair Oaks , California
Go look at it!

Ray B. is right - go look at it. Southwest will get you there for cheap, and you may well save the cost of the flight by what you discover, and negotiate over, in person.
Stevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

crestview , MI
We are in this exact position right now. I've found the AS I want at the right price in Sarasota Florida. I'm in Michigan and am working on a flight down there with my husband to see it. I would LOVE some help. I will gladly pay an inspector to meet us there and confirm that it is all in working order. This is a big purchase for us.

If anyone can point me to the right person I would truly appreciate it.

Cate
catesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Currently Looking...
City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by catesword View Post
We are in this exact position right now. I've found the AS I want at the right price in Sarasota Florida. I'm in Michigan and am working on a flight down there with my husband to see it. I would LOVE some help. I will gladly pay an inspector to meet us there and confirm that it is all in working order. This is a big purchase for us.

If anyone can point me to the right person I would truly appreciate it.

Cate

Cate-
I had a presale inspection done and highly recommend this Florida inspector.

George Agutter
Owner/Inspector
Cell: 321-696-4814
2B Limitless RV Inspections, LLC.
www.2b-limitless.com
info@2b-limitless.com
800-924-1269
GotTaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2009 17' Sport
Sherman Oaks , California
Last August I purchased my first Airstream on Ebay from a private party in Colorado. I was in So. Cal. The seller was very careful and strict about things, so that gave me some assurance. Plus I felt I had a LITTLE comfort that it was through Ebay. We agreed that I would put a deposit down, that I would drive up there, inspect it, pay the balance and pick it up. Even though I was a little worried, I put the trip out a few weeks so I could do my own due diligence. My feeling was the worst case was if I didn’t like it, I would call off the deal, and I would have had a nice road trip.

One thing I did (and I would suggest) was use some internet searches and Online people information services to check out the seller. This at least let me determine if it had the inklings of a scam. I found out when I got there he did the same thing for me! They ended up being very nice people, and had upgraded to a bigger unit.

Also, I had previously owned a 40 year old GMC motorhome which—believe me—was a money pit. So at that point I pretty much could guess what may or could go wrong with an RV.

Buying anything used out of area is a risk. The good news is that for all the bad things about the internet, it has its good uses too.
BHKAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:40 AM   #60
Kathryn Mackay

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi fellow Airstreamers!

I’m about to list my 2013 25’ Eddie Bauer edition in the classifieds here...a severe hand injury has forced me to give it up. Should be up by the weekend.

My question is this: what do folks think is a reasonable deposit to request to hold it until it can be viewed/inspected in person by a potential buyer? A flat amount? Percentage of asking price? I’m not in a densely populated area in British Columbia and expect interest is likely to come from distant buyers.

Any ideas/suggestions of how much of a deposit YOU would expect to provide if you were the buyer, would be much appreciated! Also any tips on how to reassure long distance buyers would be very much appreciated. I will have a huge amount of detail and many photos on the website I’m making, and I think that’s a good place to start.

Kathryn
kjbowler is offline   Reply With Quote