Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Talking Great Tow Across Country - Once Again...

Just got back towing across our great country once more with the Airstream from San Diego east to Maryland via a two week stay in Steamboat Springs, CO. (future Scheck residence) where the Aspens were in "all their glory".

Unlike the strong winds and rain when I towed the Airstream from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey to my house in Maryland - then onwards West to San Diego (crazy 50+ mph winds across the plains of Nebraska into Colorado, nasty rain both in the Chicago area and when leaving New Jersey, some super crazy drivers) this trip was pretty un-eventful!

Departed San Diego from "Big Toy Depot" where my little "Silver Twinkie" has been residing the past few months (located right on the boarder - in the picture you see the boarder fence and security tower) and drove up to "Green River", Utah - which was beautiful. Due to a closure of the 15 North / 70 interchange (fire caused by Utah National Guard was raging) I had to take a mountain two lane detour that was gorgeous - cutting east then north intersecting Interstate 70 - Utah is one pretty state!!!

From "Green River", Utah made it to Steamboat Springs "RV Resort" - home away from home (at least till I get my place built up near Steamboat Lake in the next few years)....

After a nice two week stay in Steamboat Springs, left on a Friday morning around noon and drove onwards to "Salina", Kansas for the night - then from "Salina" stayed outside of "Columbus", Ohio (took a small detour on a very scary one lane washed out side road to reside for the night at a "questionable hotel" - but hey what do you expect outside of Columbus at 2:00 am?).

Final day I left "Columbus", Ohio and made it home to Olney, Maryland where I watched football on Sunday - then a few days latter went up for the weekend to "Penn State" for Parents weekend.

Stayed in the KOA at "Penn State" 12 miles outside of "Penn State" and it was Great! I'm really starting to dig these "KOA" parks! Looking forward for the next four years to hang out at this "KOA" as my new "Penn State" hangout.

After the quick "Penn State" trip - I came home once again to the Maryland residence - and now the little Airstream is up at it's new permeant home (can't keep trailers on our property - Home Owners) at Ramblin' Pines.

As you can see by the pictures, another great trip across our Great Country. As usual the "T-Rex TDI" & "25 FB Airstream Classic" did great (love that ProPride Hitch too) with an average speed of CENSORED mph and 14.5 miles per gallon of diesel (that includes going up and over the Sierra's, Rockies, and Appalachians)....

Gonna hang out East for the next few years while Zac attends "Penn State" - get that house built in Steamboat Springs (I'm renting the townhouse out in San Diego since I no longer need it) - so all is going well!!!

Looking forward to taking advantage of the Airstream being on the East coast for the next few years - visiting all the great sites we have over here before final transplant to the "Rockies". Now that I'm located in one place for a while guess I'm gonna have to go find and join an Airstream Chapter....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	930.9 KB
ID:	112673   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry02.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	112674  

Name:	AS10SteamBoatCrossCountry03.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	112675   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry04.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	112676  

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry05.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	112677   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry06.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	112678  

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry07.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	826.5 KB
ID:	112679   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry08.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	943.7 KB
ID:	112680  

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry09.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	112681  
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And here are a few more pictures...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry10.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	112682   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry11.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	112683  

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry12.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	112684   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry13.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	985.3 KB
ID:	112685  

Name:	ASSteamBoatCrossCountry14.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	112686  
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Where are you?

Hi John,

What is the mountain in rows 2 and 3 of post 1?
It looks very familiar, but I can't place it.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I would love to hear more about your Touareg. I am looking into a TDI in the next year or so to tow our A/S. I hear mixed opinions about the reliability. I have driven VW's since the early 70's and still have my 1967 westy camper and a 2001 Golf. I like the idea of a powerful vehicle that gets good MPG's and is small enough to park easily. What was your take on it over the mountains, comfort, wind, etc.?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I sure enjoy the enthusiasm of your posts as they accumulate!

Hope you'll keep us apprised of scale tickets, hitch rigging changes, etc, etc, as time goes on as yours is a combination that appears ideal from this distance in re performance.

Didn't have a trailer when our son was at school in Chicago, but my Dad had his (theirs) when I was in college . . I ran over to Houston a couple of times over a couple of years when he used it as quarters during an enormous annual petroleum industry convention. He also used it for my graduation. RV's are more than just an air conditioned room at the COE lake. The versatility seems lost on many (non-RV'ers) is my sad impression.

There's nothing like a good one, is there?

A 5'er is just a lumbering ox, and a pain to deal with by comparison with your rig. And there's no way to make a square box ever tow well. Speed isn't the point . . it's the ease of the thing.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
REDNAX - the joy of sleeping and living in one's own space while at so many beautiful locals surprises me as does the joy I get driving around with my mobile "kingdom". Scales weights (you know I'm very aware of my tongue weight), ProPride performance, etc. will be shared with all along with my other gems (like don't let your Prodigy P3 change from Hydralic mode to Electric mode or you might think ya got some big problems, etc.) as you all have shared with us your experiences.

The T-Rex along with the PP is a great combo for this trailer (love my Classic's Hydralic Disc brakes) - but to really take this trailer to full use (towing around with max tanks, generators, mobile rock collection as collected during visits, other "stuff & toys") up to the trailers max GVWR then I'm still gonna need an oil burner in the 3/4 ton range- till then no boondocking for me.

w7ts - that is Hauns Peak in Steamboat Springs.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
tlavergne - the TDI with ProPride hitch is a great combo for my 25FB Classic - 407 lbs torque gets me up any mountain in North America with plenty of reserve, super great gas mileage (better than my V8 powered Cayenne S towing a lighter trailer), no buffeting from trucks, wind (55 mph gusts so far), lane changes (hard steering deltas and braking to include one big panic stop in Malibu on the Coast Highway), as you can see from my other posts on this forum - for my wants and needs I'm very happy with my setup and that's with over 10,000 miles and two "coast-2-coast" trips over the Sierra's, Rockies and Appalachian's!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Lot's of questions regarding my favorite campground in "Steamboat Springs" or why I stay there on my visits.

Although there are many RV camping areas up near "Steamboat Lake", "Pearl Lake", etc. - if you want full service with a city bus that pulls right into the campground to take you to downtown Steamboat, etc. then the only real choice would be "Steamboat Campground".

Tags
airstream, steamboat springs, touareg