Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Chilliwack , British Columbia
New purchase

Hi everyone, 1st time posting. I bought a new 2019 25FB Serenity from my local Airstream dealer here in Vancouver, BC. I was looking for any advice that may help me in the pre-delivery phase, sometime next week, mainly issues to look for that may cause me grief later. Thanks.

randplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ask a million questions, watch how they do it.
"Are the propane tanks full?"
"How do I switch tanks?"
"Is the water heater on bypass?"
"How do I put it on bypass?"
Don't be bashful. After asking all the questions you can think of, they'll still be some you wonder later.

My favorite: "Take this DVD and make it play on the stereo AND TV."

Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by randplatt View Post
Hi everyone, 1st time posting. I bought a new 2019 25FB Serenity from my local Airstream dealer here in Vancouver, BC. I was looking for any advice that may help me in the pre-delivery phase, sometime next week, mainly issues to look for that may cause me grief later. Thanks.
Congratulations on your new purchase! Make sure the dealer demonstrates all the systems for you at delivery. The batteries seem to always be the biggest risk on any RV that has sat on a dealer's lot for months.

You have posted in the Motorhome Forum. You might get more responses if you also post in the Trailer Forum.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Honestly not trying to be snarky here. There may be someone here that is willing to cut and paste the answer that they have given any number of times, but if you do a quick search I'm sure you can turn up a lot of info yourself. I've seen pre-delivery lists that cover everything from the basic to minute details posted on this forum.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Overnight stay.

Those who have experience strongly advise to spend a night at the dealership (or a very nearby campground) and use every system, test every valve, switch, knob, lever, etc. Look at every screw, open every door, etc.

You are looking for everything that needs fixed, adjusted, replaced, etc.

Do not expect the trailer to be perfect.

This is not an automobile assembled by sophisticated robots in a Six Sigma Factory, but a trailer built by hand. It helps to assume 1970s Detroit, slapped together on a Friday afternoon at the end of the month, trying to make quota, and they used the last, most damaged and scuffed parts in the bottom of the barrel, right before summer break, by a team of newbies who are planning a big party and are not paying attention to the details. Look for all the mistakes, and don't be at all surprised to find many. If you don't, then you will be pleasantly surprised.

By staying on the lot, you can avoid the dealer thinking (or even claiming) it wasn't that way when you left (even though it's under warranty anyway) and the hassle of bringing it back for them to work on.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Our dealer told us "A tech spends 8 hours going through every system on your Airstream prior to delivery." I think all they did was sweep it, dust the surfaces and plug it in to shore power & water.

Interior:
- Check that EVERY system works:
- Water pump
- Hot water (this time of year your trailer could have been winterized...)
- AC, heat pump
- Furnace
- All lights, switches
- Inverter
- Check all latches & hinges for loose or missing screws

Exterior:
- Try the awning
- All windows
- Hitch latch (ours was very rusted, new "old stock" trailer )
- Hitch foot (ours was stuck...would not go up inside the jack)
- The batteries (ours were totally dead, got brand new ones @ delivery) Yours are also likely dead (I already put in Trojans, but let's keep the dealers honest)
- Stabilizers
- Locks

Good luck! Likely everything will be ok but IMO dealers are likely to cut corners where they can on the prep. This is your best opportunity to spot anything that could be amiss.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
I am familar with the dealer. I would add emphasis to check that the batteries maintain a charge. They also have a machine that will test them and produce a report on them. Best advice is try everything.
RubyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Congratulations!

Make sure your vehicle has adequate towing mirrors.

If yours doesn't have factory tow mirrors, the best aftermarket ones are McKesh with the convex spots on both sides. You can buy them on the Hensley Hitch website. Just make sure you have something !!

Also recommend you study up watching some you tube videos (colonial airstream has some good ones) on your model so you are very familiar with the components and where they are, and what they are supposed to do.

As to hitching and unhitching and leveling, that is the biggest learning curve for a new owner. Watch them do it. Film them doing it. Have them watch you do it. Go back to the film and write up a step by step check list.

Also unlike other parts of daily life, if one of you does something, then the other "checks their work". Basic safety. Make it a good habit. If you don't understand or think there is something wrong, stop and check. Most problems or questions can be solved by you tube.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
1977 Argosy 28
Frankfort , Ohio
Congrats on your purchase!

Do a thorough check for dings and dents on the outer skins- and don’t take delivery unless you want to live with them.

StephSH is offline   Reply With Quote