Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Dealership Delivery Day

I ordered new AS several months ago and scheduled to arrive within a week.
The dealership is hundreds of miles away and I will explain to them and fully expect (stupidly) the dealership should find and fix issues before our arrival.
That said, when we get there and inspect if we find more than a quick screwdriver fixes, we will not be able to leave it there for warranty work and come back in a few days (or weeks). And I am willing to take delivery with known warranty work that would need to be done. Tiny things I can do, so I'm talking seriously busted items.

My question is if I find non-trivial warranty items that need fixing that will take obviously more than a few minutes to fix, can we terminate the deal and come home empty handed (likely without deposit too)?

Anyone had experience with this?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes you can. Don't be forced into a purchase of something with an major defect. It's better to arrange a second trip back as inconvenient as it may be than to take possession of a defective trailer, NO MATTER what the dealer promises.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think you should plan to arrive on a weekday, and to spend at least one night in your trailer at the dealership..hooked up to everything.

Figure out how everything works, make a list overnight of everything that needs to be fixed, and have them do it while you are there.

I agree...don't take delivery with problems needing resolved, even if you have to make another trip back to pick it up.

There have been a fair number of folks post here who have paid for a rig, only to have it sit for weeks waiting for repair. Why?

Maggie
Old 05-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Well, I like the idea of 1 or 2 shakedown nights.
But, likely can only do that once I've signed.
And I've read all the horror stories of "once you've signed everything changes".
So I would fear if do find issues it would be:
"Oh, you need warranty work? Our first appointment is 3 weeks away."
"But I just bought this yesterday and found these issues."
"Sorry, but our service department is really backed up. 3 weeks".

I really want to be optimistic and believe everything will be ok.
But in the event things turn out badly, I was just wondering if folks have simply walked away. I would rather to day than haul away problems.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If more people would stop excepting mediocrity and stop making excuses for crappy QA Airstream just might be forced to improve their product before it leaves the factory. It is a sad state of affairs when new buyers expect serious warranty issues before they even take delivery. Good luck with your new trailer. I hope it is everything you dream it will be.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Good luck, please keep us posted on how your experience plays out. I think you've received good guidance already. I agree with camping out at the dealer, thoroughly checking everything possible, and not accepting a defective product. Hopefully it's a small amount of minor issues that can be promptly resolved.

I'm following these new unit QA/QC threads closely, debating about getting a new 30' Classic vs. buying used (which worked extremely well for me with the current trailer) when I do decide to retire. We have a new AS dealer very close to home, so it would be much easier for me if I go the 'new' route. Still assessing whether the new dealer is highly reputable, but first impressions are favorable.

Regards - Ron
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I strongly recommend that you be prepared to refuse delivery if too many things are wrong. Feel free to tell them in advance that you will do this if it's not right. In the event you refuse delivery you can either set an appointment to retrieve it when all the busted stuff has been resolved, or demand all your money back because the trailer is unacceptably defective. I hope that neither happens, but heading out to the dealer with an attitude that you'll take it home almost no matter what...well, I hope you're handy.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote