Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Total Loss?

I have a 2003 Airstream SS with minor hail dings on the front and rear. GMAC want to total the trailer. The actual damage is $14,000 (Jackson Center est). The appraiser estimated $19,000 in his report and where he got that figure I have no idea. It is too nice a AS to be a total loss. I've told GMAC that it should not be totalled. Would appreciate some advise?
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
take the check and buy it back from the insurance company. It will have a salvage title but if you are going to keep it who cares.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
take the check and buy it back from the insurance company. It will have a salvage title but if you are going to keep it who cares.
Salvage titles can really "bite you in the a**" later- depending on the state you are in. If the insurance is totalling the AS- what is the value they are offering you (did you have an agreed upon value or are you using Blue Book ) if they are not going to give you what it is worth then have them pay to fix it at Jackson Center.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
you're in good shape!

I had my '03 SS through the same episode last year and made out nicely.

At first, the adjuster wrote it up at about $15k damage but after I reviewed the estimate, he missed more than half the panels. He came out a second time then seemed to reluctantly total it. I later thought maybe he was trying to do me a favor and not total it but as it turned out, I'm glad I questioned his first estimate.

Insurance totalled mine (saying something like $22k to repair), they valued it at ~$30k and sold it to me for salvage of ~$17k as I remember. Texas doesn't have a requirement to show "salvage" on the title due to hail so I got a free and clear trailer now. After paying off the loan with an additional $1,500 out of pocket, I ended up paying ~$24k for what would have been a $51k trailer (initial downpayment and interest for 15 years).

My dings have softened somewhat over the last two TX summers and unless I told you, you'd have a hard time noticing that it was totalled in a hail storm. The a/c shroud was broken in a few places so I fiberglassed it from behind and even took the time to strengthen it in a couple of places then painted it silver. Alternatively, a new shroud would only have been a couple of hundred $$.

Best of all, when I hear "hail" in the forecast, I'm not as jumpy...i've got my dents.

Good luck
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It sure give me something to look at.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
You retain the right to have the trailer fixed wherever you feel most comfortable, the insurance company can not coerce you to a specific repair shop. I would tell them that you want to have Airstream do the work, that they are the most qualified to work on your trailer. Then you know the work is done correctly. Secondly, you are actually saving the ins. co money so they should be agreeable to this. I am an insurance agent and gave a talk on the VAP for their insurance episode. So this is kind of how I would approach this if it were me. If Airstream is doing the repairs this would eliminate any question to the quality of the work and retaining value in the trailer. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
HOw can you claim damage due to weather ? is that a unsual covered item? under comprehensive? If so good to know. I think i would try to buy it back or just insist on fixing her. You have that right to fix it for the amount they have agreed to and it will cost them less. Lucky you are near Ohio.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Yes, insurance companies do pay for hail damage.

It usually gets very pricey since aluminum panels have to be replaced.

Older Airstream are usually deemed a total loss and the owner can ususally buy them back and live with the cosmetic damage.