Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My point was simple and had nothing to do with foreign made products. The fact is, the dollar in 1973 bought you more than it does now. The gallon of gas purchased for $1.75 then would cost you just over $8.00 now. In that light, $5.00 a gallon is a bargain.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
fuel

We're back to being glad we drive a diesel. Diesel prices have gone down and there is no shortage of it in our area. During the summer our diesel was parked and we drove our gas vehicle. Now we've parked the gas and are using the diesel.

I tried to go a week and not buy any products made in China. I couldn't believe how hard it was.

kfrere
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Wow, we're sorry for your misfortune but we finally have cheaper fuel in CA than the rest of the US. Saw diesel for $3.98 today, 20 cents cheaper than last week and filled up the Cherokee for $3.67 for regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Ike is just off shore and coming in tomorrow.

This morning on the Atlanta news a story about 10 gallon limits in North and South Carolina.

In talking with my wife about this she mentioned that there were at least 35 cars lined up at Walmart last night to get gas.

We looked at each other, put on our shoes, grabbed fuel cans, one diesel, two gas, and headed out to fill up the pilot and the cans.

We needed some breakfast, so "let's go to the pilot truck stop where they have Mickey D's."

Wow, $3.54. That's how much it was at Walmart last night. Filled up the Pilot and got 1 and a half can filled and hit the $75 pump limit. Tried to reset the pump; but the computer was doing something weird. Ahhhh there it goes. Only need another couple of gallons to fill up the last can. Start it pumping again and while it is doing it's thing, I looked over at the price. $3.99 Yes, $3.99

Went ahead and finished out the can. Wife went in to complain about what happened and there was a near riot going on. Seems folks that had prepaid at the lower price went out to pump and the price had skyrocketed. LOTS OF YELLING and irate folks.

Finished our business and drove to the Mickey D's for a burrito. The girl there, who had an inside knowledge track, as she talks to the Pilot folks 30 feet away, advised that by the end of the day it will be up to $5.09.

Whoa................

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This I why i live in Colorado... All I have to worry about is snow....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
And Exxon Mobil will try to keep it quite, but it is public record and the beans will spill.... profits in the billions every quarter. Billions in net profit. After everyone is paid, after the corporate jets have flown execs all over the world, bonuses have been payed, and everything else has been paid for, profits in the billions each and every quarter.

Oh yeah, the buy American comment... good luck. I drive a Dodge 1500, American truck right? Wrong, 25 % of the parts were made in America. The rest of the parts were made in Canada and Mexico and it was assembles in Mexico. Now my wife's Japanese Honda... 89% made in America.

Just because it is made in America, does not assure it is a quality product. I am a woodworker, my number one criteria for a new tool purchase is quality, I buy the best so that I will not have to replace it. There are some tools made here in America, I wish they were half as good as the German ones I buy instead.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Well, today here where we live the only gas available is regular. It is $4.99 per gallon! Nobody is on the road, it looked like a ghost town last night!!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
My point was simple and had nothing to do with foreign made products. The fact is, the dollar in 1973 bought you more than it does now. The gallon of gas purchased for $1.75 then would cost you just over $8.00 now. In that light, $5.00 a gallon is a bargain.
Hi cameront120;
I did not mean to argue with your posted rate of inflation. Inflation is driven by many factors, one being the decreasing demand for our product in the world market. The reason for it is the fact that the more choice in the available product, the less chance for our product to be purchased. This very true with product which sustains our life itself. Any country with good soil can grow most foods. The difference is in the cost of production, such as price of land itself and the cost of labor to produce it. The more available product the more price competition, as producers grasp for largest share of the market. Third world countries are much less capable to produce durable goods. This is where we have excelled so far. It was our developed technology which cost us a lot and for which we have paid for, by buying those durable goods. When our manufacturers take this developed by us technology for which we have already paid for, into a third world country where labor costs five percent of that of ours, here is what happens. Despite free and developed technology the quality drops due to untrained worker. Cost of production drops sharply with cheap unskilled labor, and now the companies based on US soil begins to feel the pain of the competition. At labor rate ratio at ten to one, the factories on US soil fail.
The more US manufacturers move out of US, the harder we fall. If our product is not in demand because there is more choice available, our product is being devalued by necessity to compete in the world market. Why should the OPEC countries buy our durable goods at a higher price if they have a choice to buy it somewhere else cheaper. Why should they not quadruple the price of the oil which we need? They can, because they are not depended on our product which can buy elsewhere cheaper. They do not need us anymore, so we get socked in the face. Chinese product is not a quality product, but this equation is often driven by factors which surround it.
One of the factors in purchase is price, especially when money is not at hand to buy a better product. We are only interested in three things, PRICE, PRICE and PRICE, so we buy the foreign made junk and in this process we kill our companies on US soil. More and more workers are laid off while they still have to feed their families, so we buy Chilean fruit and build Chile. We make most automobile parts in Mexico and build Mexico. We buy everything Chinese and build China so that they can lend us our own money which they got from us. What do you think is going to happen when they perfect the technology and skills?. They are not going to need us at all. I never said that China alone is the single cause of inflation which has been going on last forty years and at rather alarming rate.
It is our own fault and now we reap what we have sowed. I am glad that you are happy about $5.00 per gallon bargain, but I suggest you stop burring your face in the sand, and look much deeper into reality before our trade bucket is totally empty. I better quit before I get upset even more than I already am. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Using that same logic, current oil price would be $450 per barrel to equal the $100 1973 price. We're getting screwed at the pumps, inflation or not.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
American Oil Companies

But!!!
You can always find out which oil companys and gas stations are American owned.At least you will keep the money in our economy,and not some country that hates us!!

You think we got long gas lines now, can you imagine if everyone just supported American owned oil companies!

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Job Security

Fortunate for me I work for the railroad,they cant send that job anywhere.beleive me,if they could they would.

Don't kid yourself, NAFTA opened up the border for truck drivers allowing them to come into USA unrestriced to point of delivery, taking away American Jobs. You can be sure the Association of Railroads are interested in doing the same thing. I've seen thousands of Union Jobs go to outside contractors, It's just a matter of time and the rest will find the same demise.

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
hogansville , Georgia
one word!

Union!!
evelitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #32
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
The price hikes were unfortunate for us since we rallied this weekend. Already cost us $30 extra for the weekend. I'm not filling the TV with overpriced gas until I have to. I only bought 2 gallons to cover the trip from our trailer storage to home, and the pump I used had a sign "requesting" customers purchase no more than 10 gallons. $3.89/gal there.

I am not sure about the "shortage" hype just yet. But, the nearest Quik-Trip was completely out of gas with a policeman on duty in the parking lot. I guess "something" might have "happened" there.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The BP had a Regular price of $3.55 per gallon last week in Tullahoma, TN. It jumped several times to the now $4.09 per gallon. Funny, the price across the street for Mapco Express (was Conoco) was $4.35 yesterday and today. What is even funnier is that my sister in Corpus Christi, TX. told me that gas has only gone up 20 cents where she fills up and the refineries there never shut down as the hurricane went north of them.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
In South Central KY the price of gas has jumped from 3.48 to 3.99 a gallon and the gas stations will not let you get more than 10 gallons. Strange since the price fell rapidly today, me thinks someone is GOUGING!!!

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
"Corporate Greed"

Hi, My opinion is what I call Corporate Greed. Did you notice how when a product is produced in another country how much lower the price became? .................. Gee! I didn't either. .......... Example: [short version] Pillsbury had a factory in San Diego, Ca. and a news company did some interviews of employees. One lady who worked there doing a certain job was paid about $4.75 per hour. Pillsbury moved to Mexico. The same news company interviewed a lady employeed there doing the same job as the previously mentioned worker. When asked how much she made, doing this job, her answer was $4.35; Then the news person asked $4.35 what? Her answer was $4.35 per-eight-hour-day. Who's pocket did that go into? I didn't save a dime on that transaction. "Corporate Greed." Chinese Marathons are half price now, right? Same thing. "Corporate Greed."

Note: these are my opinions and how I view this situation.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
But Bob, some will tell you that is capitalism. They will wrap a flag around themselves and tell you that is the American way. That the company is responsible to the stock holders to provide them with a return.
It has become nearly impossible to be to be a responsible consumer in this global economy.

Buying american oil is a fallacy, it is all sold on the open market and goes all over the place. Unless you have a well and a refinery in your back yard, it most likely is not from America.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #37
Berberman

2008 684 International
Harrogate , North Yorkshire
Here in the UK accross the pond we are paying over £5.50 a gallon Over $10 dollars. You still have a long long way top go to catch us up.
Berberman is offline   Reply With Quote