Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2023, 08:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteePlus View Post
We picked up our 2023 FC less than a month ago. During the orientation I specifically asked if the TV's can push the audio thru the speakers and was told no. Just guessing it may be the same on the Classics.
That would be a new "feature" if that is true? Have you selected AUX while your TV is on? AUX routes the tv sound through the speakers. We just used the remote to turn off the rear bedroom speakers, but anytime we use the Radio or select AUX we get TV or Radio or we can also link up our bluetooth phones for Pandora...unless AS changed something on your model?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:13 AM   #22
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That would be a new "feature" if that is true? Have you selected AUX while your TV is on? AUX routes the tv sound through the speakers. We just used the remote to turn off the rear bedroom speakers, but anytime we use the Radio or select AUX we get TV or Radio or we can also link up our bluetooth phones for Pandora...unless AS changed something on your model?

No, I never tried because of what the tech told me. The system is different than I remember the AS' I'd seen previously. No DVD/CD player now and the controls are new looking as well. I'm curious though, so when I get the chance I'll definitely check it out.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:05 AM   #23
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I have a 2022 FC. Lots of us complained that the DVD Player isn't wired through the sound system. AS fixed that problem by eliminating the DVD Players.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
I have a 2022 FC. Lots of us complained that the DVD Player isn't wired through the sound system. AS fixed that problem by eliminating the DVD Players.
I removed my CD/DVD player 5 years ago when I got the Wally SAT set up. No additional wiring needed. Just plugged the HDMI cable that was in the DVR unit, into the Wally receiver. When watching TV either thru the antenna, ROKU, or the Wally, I select AUX on the receiver, and select which "port" I want to run the TV; Roku is on HDMI 1 in my AS.

I doubt AS removed/eliminated the DVD player due to complaints. Likely no one uses them anymore with streaming options now. The TV monitor in all my AS's have been connected to the AUX port and you control which device is driving the AUX [U]on the TV[?/U], like we do at home, right? (unless there is something going on with new units I am unaware of....which has happened here, once before...)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #25
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
You may be on to it. Ford trucks no longer have CD players but free Sirius XM radio for 6 or 12 months. I replaced the AS radio with a small receiver to run the DVD through to the sound system.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
I removed my CD/DVD player 5 years ago when I got the Wally SAT set up. No additional wiring needed. Just plugged the HDMI cable that was in the DVR unit, into the Wally receiver. When watching TV either thru the antenna, ROKU, or the Wally, I select AUX on the receiver, and select which "port" I want to run the TV; Roku is on HDMI 1 in my AS.

I doubt AS removed/eliminated the DVD player due to complaints. Likely no one uses them anymore with streaming options now. The TV monitor in all my AS's have been connected to the AUX port and you control which device is driving the AUX [U]on the TV[?/U], like we do at home, right? (unless there is something going on with new units I am unaware of....which has happened here, once before...)
You should be aware by now. It was stated several times on this thread and in other threads that Airstream no longer sets it up to have audio from TV or DVD go through the stereo system.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Isn't it just a pushbutton selection on your radio/reciever on/off volume control knob: Radio station or AUX shows in the display? Thats how mine is wired on my 28' FC. Aux is the TV...input. If I want Blue Tooth from another source, the handheld remote is easiest to use plus you can disconnect the rear speakers, if you wish easier with the remote.
Thanks for your input - it worked on our recently purchased 2016 FC!
ssksfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ll add another thought to this thread. As I mentioned previously, I was able to get the television sound through the Airstream speakers using a bluetooth dongle. The sound quality was better than the TV speakers, but it still sucked. I added a sound bar to my television and it sounded great. It was easy to add, it wasn’t terribly expensive, and the sound was vastly superior to using the ceiling speakers in the Airstream.

If you really want good sound from your Airstream’s television, then my recommendation is that you forget about the ceiling speakers and get a sound bar.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:31 AM   #29
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
No output to TV on 2023

I double checked yesterday and no audio to the TV using any of the buttons. FWIW I'll attach a picture of the installed entertainment 'system' in our 2023 FC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 FC radio.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	429418  
Old 03-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You should be aware by now. It was stated several times on this thread and in other threads that Airstream no longer sets it up to have audio from TV or DVD go through the stereo system.
Wazbro- Guess I was not aware this was an AS issue...looks like this started in 2019 according to the factory this morning when I called. Was told this happened when Samsung stopped offering the RGB connection with their AS supplied TV's few years back. He said a DVD player with streaming capability can plug into the HDMI connection to the radio, but customer must supply the DVD player. Crazy...glad 17 model is not affected.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:02 PM   #31
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
My AS came with a Sony BluRay player, an LG tv, and a marine JL Audio radio which doesn't have an HDMI connection on it.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I’ll add another thought to this thread. As I mentioned previously, I was able to get the television sound through the Airstream speakers using a bluetooth dongle. The sound quality was better than the TV speakers, but it still sucked. I added a sound bar to my television and it sounded great. It was easy to add, it wasn’t terribly expensive, and the sound was vastly superior to using the ceiling speakers in the Airstream.

If you really want good sound from your Airstream’s television, then my recommendation is that you forget about the ceiling speakers and get a sound bar.
Was the Bluetooth dongle used on the TV, the stereo? Or both?

I wonder if my upgraded Samsung TV's have built in Bluetooth audio... Hmm...
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It plugged into the aux port on the back of my television and then connected to the Airstream audio system via Bluetooth. I replaced my factory dumb TV with a new LG smart TV, but it didn’t have built-in Bluetooth. I bought the Bluetooth dongle on Amazon.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-25-2023, 04:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
It plugged into the aux port on the back of my television and then connected to the Airstream audio system via Bluetooth. I replaced my factory dumb TV with a new LG smart TV, but it didn’t have built-in Bluetooth. I bought the Bluetooth dongle on Amazon.
Thanks Dennis. I will attempt the same.

How is the audio synchronization with the video over the Bluetooth connection?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
It wasn’t 100% perfect, but it was close enough that you had to try to notice it.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-25-2023, 07:58 AM   #36
EDuprey

2022 25' Globetrotter
Brownstown , Michigan
I also purchased a sound bar for our 2023 25GT FBT and mounted it directly above the TV. Used an optical audio cable from the TV to the speaker. Great sound.

Even though the TV audio when played thru the AS speakers was very good, it just seemed weird to see people in front of you on TV talking, and their voices coming from behind you on the locker mounted AS speakers.

2023 Globetrotter 25FBT
300W Solar, 300AH BB Batteries, Victron 3000W Inverter, CerboGX, & Charge Controllers, LevelMate Pro, Peplink Router, Victron AC to DC Charger
TV: 2023 Expedition Max w/HD Tow Package
Eduprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:09 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Rather than jump through hoops, I think you'd be better served by adding a sound bar above the TV and forgetting the stereo.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I also endorse getting a sound bar.

When we first got our trailer more than 20 years ago, we replaced the stock speakers with higher quality ones and added a subwoofer and a radio head-unit that accepted external audio inputs and had a subwoofer output for a subwoofer amplifier. The TV sound was hardwired to the radio. The results were okay, but not spectacular.

A couple of years ago we switched to a soundbar, removed the subwoofer (more storage space now!) and its amplifier. We have never had better sound in the trailer and sound levels are now easily adjusted with a remote control.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduprey View Post
I also purchased a sound bar for our 2023 25GT FBT and mounted it directly above the TV. Used an optical audio cable from the TV to the speaker. Great sound.

Even though the TV audio when played thru the AS speakers was very good, it just seemed weird to see people in front of you on TV talking, and their voices coming from behind you on the locker mounted AS speakers.
Do mind sharing which sound bar you chose?
mplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Good question. But there are many good choices es today...the AS is actually quite confined space so I would say the small Bose. Sonic, Samsung. LG, or other unit that is not neading a seperate sub woofer would work well? I like the small Bose...Costco or look for open box at BestBuy.. interesting to see what others
Here say.

Back to the DVD wiring which can drive the speakers included with radios that is still there in the newer AS's. Wondering iwhy you couldn't just connect with Smart TV app and watch (Sling) as example driving TV thru DVD? ��