Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Audio output from DVD or TV - thru stereo?

Hi all,

I’m sure this is somewhere posted already, but I can’t get a search result on this iPhone forum app...

We have a 2019 27FB Flying Cloud - trying to find out if there’s any way to make the TV audio output through the stereo?

I thought DVD audio was supposed to, but even that outputs on TV speakers instead of the stereo. Does anyone have any feedback on this, or suggestions for upgrading the sound system?

Thanks!
MetalAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There were some recent posts indicating that in some recent models Airstream stopped wiring the TV sound to the stereo. In past years, they actually drilled a hole in the back of the TV and spliced a wire to the TV speakers...poor solution. If yours is one of the newer models without this capability you need to look at your TV audio outputs and your stereo head unit aux in and see if you can run your own cable.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
TV/DVD sound thru Stereo

In both our 2017 23D and our new 2019 FC25 we would turn on the TV/DVD and then turn on the stereo and set it to AUX. Sound comes out stereo speakers. Volume adjust at stereo. Easy as that. Hope this works the same in your AS.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Our 2018 Classic has Samsung TVs which have an audio out jack on the rear panel connected to the coach sound system. By selecting the Aux input on the head unit, TV and DVD sound is fed to the speakers.

Based on info from another thread that discusses this issue it appears that the LG TVs in the newer coaches don't have an audio out jack. Apparently Airstream was jury rigging a connection directly to the TV speakers in the LGs for a while to bootleg sound to the audio system but have recently stopped doing even that. As a result, no TV or DVD audio is available over the coach speakers.

If you have an LG TV in your 2019 FC that may be the source of your problem and as mentioned above you will have to work out your own wiring solution.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
My 2020 caravel does not play the tv or dvd through the stereo. I understand the tv but it seems like the DVD player could have been connected to the JBL stereo aux position.
I’m not quite sure how to pull the stereo out. It should just be a simple RCA jack from the blue ray to the stereo.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Most stereos are car units that require a key that came with the unit to be slipped in on the side to release a latch that holds the stereo in its box. Look in your owners packet for this flat 4 or 5 inch key.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Thanks Larry
I’ll take a look when I get home.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Our 2018 Classic has Samsung TVs which have an audio out jack on the rear panel connected to the coach sound system. By selecting the Aux input on the head unit, TV and DVD sound is fed to the speakers.

If you have an LG TV in your 2019 FC that may be the source of your problem and as mentioned above you will have to work out your own wiring solution.

Thanks! The TV’s are Samsung, and I see some RCA adapters in the back, which I’m assumed was the output to the aux jack. Just can’t suss out why it’s not piping back.
MetalAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
In both our 2017 23D and our new 2019 FC25 we would turn on the TV/DVD and then turn on the stereo and set it to AUX. Sound comes out stereo speakers. Volume adjust at stereo. Easy as that. Hope this works the same in your AS.
Same thing in our 2018 International. Just set the stereo to AUX.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAria View Post
Thanks! The TV’s are Samsung, and I see some RCA adapters in the back, which I’m assumed was the output to the aux jack. Just can’t suss out why it’s not piping back.
Since your Samsung has Audio out jacks, if they are connected up and you have AUX selected on the head unit you should be getting TV/DVD audio from the coach speakers. On my Samsung, Airstream used a Y-connector from the TV to the cable that goes to the head unit. Regardless of how yours is set up you might want to check all of the connectors and make sure you have good contact along the cable run.

If you have a device with speakers that accepts audio input you might want to try connecting it to the audio out on the TV and see if you get sound. That would at least tell you whether the TV audio out is working before you start digging around behind the head unit.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAria View Post
You should be good to go then if there are RCA connectors on the back. It's maddening. I'm a few years older but my setting is not AUX but "CD2". You need to dig in to the menu on your head unit and find it.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
So if you have a new unit with a Sony blue ray and JL audio media master then it’s not wired to play through stereo.
The Blue Ray player does not have an RCA output.
You can buy a cheap digital to analog converter on amazon for about 15 bucks. Connect to the Blue Ray with a digital coaxial cable and the JL through the RCA jacks.
If you remove the JL unit you can reach the back of the DVD player and connect the cable. The converters are small enough to put in side the cabinet on top of the DVD player.

Easy! But the TV will still not play through the stereo, but I’m good with that.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
TBD , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
So if you have a new unit with a Sony blue ray and JL audio media master then it’s not wired to play through stereo.
The Blue Ray player does not have an RCA output.
You can buy a cheap digital to analog converter on amazon for about 15 bucks. Connect to the Blue Ray with a digital coaxial cable and the JL through the RCA jacks.
If you remove the JL unit you can reach the back of the DVD player and connect the cable. The converters are small enough to put in side the cabinet on top of the DVD player.

Easy! But the TV will still not play through the stereo, but I’m good with that.
This is hardly an easy solution. I pulled the whole thing apart last night on my 2020 Caravel 20FB. After reading through the Sony manual, it looks like they don't supply a cable for the Blue Ray DVD digital output, which is annoying. Going to try this analog to digital route after stopping by Best Buy tomorrow, but I'm running out of places to plug things in...

Hopefully airstream puts in a a better combo in newer models so that you can connect the 2 easily and from the factory. An audio system with an HDMI ARC channel would be a nice upgrade.
Dammmittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i ran an audio cable from the tv to the radio. we plug it into the AUX input on the front

we also disable the TV speakers so all play through the receiver powered speakers
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
My 2019 22 Sport had a Jensen dvd radio combo that played through the overhead speakers. Nice.
My 2020 FC 23FB has a JL head unit and a Sony Blu-ray player with no Bluetooth, and no connection to the JL radio (which by the way has near zero OTA reception, so it is basically useless). I put in a Techole D-A converter powered from a USB outlet on the JL. The JL is on a panel held in by four screws. The Sony can be wiggled out by lifting it enough to lessen the grip between some Velcro tabs.
The supplied LG tv didn’t even have an audio output, and was replaced by a Samsung, allowing the use of a soundbar.
I would ask those posting on threads like this not to assume that everyone else has a system like yours, and to be specific enough for people to tell if your fix can be their fix.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
TBD , California
I bought a digital coax cable to run from the sony blue ray dvd to the digital to analog converter to the aux rca inputs on the JL audio radio.

I agree that the reception is terrible on the JL, but also i noticed that the antenna was unplugged...the cable from the antenna running through the wall is super short, but I got it all connected and its working. Also had to set the dvd audio output to PCM for the converter to be happy.

Also, I've upgraded my main TV to a TCL and put the LG on the bedroom.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I have an Apple TV mounted to the back of the screen. My Fusion stereo is AirPlay enabled so I can just play the audio directly to the stereo system, amazing sound.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
TBD , California
Good call, looking at upgrading my interior tvs to have bluetooth