Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
2017 OEM Rear Camera Option

Buying a 2017 23 FB, does anyone have experience with the Airstream rear camera that is offered as an installed option? Is it worth it? Off the shelf better? What does it connect to for a screen?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Here are a few threads on the new Voyager Rear Cameras being installed by Airstream, plus other threads on the topic of rear cameras. Basically what Airstream appears to have done is tie a set of wires to the rear taillights and route them up to the location near the top running lights. The wires provide 12 VDC power to the camera whenever your tow vehicle lights are on.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...em-153250.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ng-156354.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ns-141590.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...eas-88393.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...ra-145476.html

Here is a company that supplies rear cameras:

http://www.tadibrothers.com/category...FY6PswodpSwCzg
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
I had the Voyager rear camera installed by my dealer, about three months after purchase.

It is great. Going down the highway, you can see what is behind your trailer before you change lanes.

It is also nice, because it has a microphone built into the camera so you can hear the person in back, when you are backing into a spot. i turn the volume off going down the road so you do not hear the wind noise.

There is a slight delay in the screen updates on mine. Once you know that, not a problem. Comparing the mirror with the monitor screen keeps you on top of what is around.

John
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Voyager is an excellent camera. Mine is aftermarket but I understand the factory option camera is comparable in cost including labor. I find it extremely helpful while traveling on the interstate & backing in. Good investment, worth the money!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
I have purchased a voyager backup camera. Is there any available information regarding locating the previously mentioned prewire? I was thinking I would either have to get under the middle marker light or route the wires into my 23d's locker over the corner bed. Now that there is a prewire it would make installation easier.
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I just purchased a 2017 FC 23D with the camera option. I love it. It doesn't have a delay and helps me see what's going on in back, making lane changes easier, and also backing up better.

I had to adjust mine after I got it, as the factory/dealer had it aiming way to low. In order to get it to show down the road away, I had to remove two of the side screws. Each side of the camera has three screws. I had to take the two further ones out, leaving just one in the center to allow me to swivel the camera to get a good downstream angle. It works great though. Highly recommend.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
Troutboy

When you adjusted the camera was there any sign of/attempts at sealing the camera from water?
Old 02-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Doc, I'll take a few pics and post tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Here are a few pics. The first shows that it looks like a rubber gasket of some sorts is used. I could t tell if they used a sealant and didn't want to take it off.

The second picture is of the side screw I mentioned. Tough to see due to sun. But you can see the single screw, one in each side. When you remove the others it swivels more.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6932.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	279251Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6933.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	279252
Old 02-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
A grommetdesigned to fit in a three-quarter inch hole comes with the camera kit. I think that's what you see in the large hole in the center of the base. But is there also what appears to be a closed cell foam layer between the base and the airstream just like they do with the marker lights?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Troutboy- I need to adjust my camera as well and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Was it terribly difficult? Did you need any special tools. Full timing and not a lot of tool options but if I knew what you used I could go get them. Thanks for the help.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
All you need is an Allen Wrench. I don't know what size, the camera came with one, it was in the box the dealer gave me.

It's super easy:
1. Use Allen Wrench to loosen all set screws, 3 each side
2. Remove two screws from each side completely, leaving the center screw loose.
3. Adjust camera, tighten two center screws by hand.
4. Go Check camera on monitor, if good tighten with Allen wrench
5. If not good, Loosen center screws and adjust, keep checking until it is at the angle you want
6. Tighten center screws with Allen Wrench real,tight.

Note. Better picture below. You can see the center set screw, it's a hex. You can also see two "tracks" where I removed the other two screws. I had to remove mine, because when I rotated the camera to the angle I wanted, the screw holes in the camera were not accessible/visible. Depending on how the factory installed the camera, you may be able to adjust the camera and still use the other two screws I removed.

You can see on mine, the holes are visible, but when I inserted the screws they would not fit. If I moved the camera angle to fit the screws, the angle was too low.

I have only put 100 miles on it, but the camera seems fine with just the two center screws and is not moving

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	279279
Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
All you need is an Allen Wrench. I don't know what size, the camera came with one, it was in the box the dealer gave me.

It's super easy:
1. Use Allen Wrench to loosen all set screws, 3 each side
2. Remove two screws from each side completely, leaving the center screw loose.
3. Adjust camera, tighten two center screws by hand.
4. Go Check camera on monitor, if good tighten with Allen wrench
5. If not good, Loosen center screws and adjust, keep checking until it is at the angle you want
6. Tighten center screws with Allen Wrench real,tight.

Note. Better picture below. You can see the center set screw, it's a hex. You can also see two "tracks" where I removed the other two screws. I had to remove mine, because when I rotated the camera to the angle I wanted, the screw holes in the camera were not accessible/visible. Depending on how the factory installed the camera, you may be able to adjust the camera and still use the other two screws I removed.

You can see on mine, the holes are visible, but when I inserted the screws they would not fit. If I moved the camera angle to fit the screws, the angle was too low.

I have only put 100 miles on it, but the camera seems fine with just the two center screws and is not moving
Attachment 279279
Could the bracket be installed upside down? Seems that when keeping the three screws in their respective curved holes it could rotate pretty extremely pointing back at the trailer.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
Could the bracket be installed upside down? Seems that when keeping the three screws in their respective curved holes it could rotate pretty extremely pointing back at the trailer.

You may be right. Here's how mine was mounted.

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	279285
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Hmmm, might be. I may try flipping it. It's working now, and I might not want to mess with the water proofing etc. thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #16
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I will be watching this thread closely before I try to adjust my camera. I really do need to get this done as my current view only allows be to see about 10 feet behind me. I trailered way back in the 70s and a little in the 80s before the invention of rear cameras so it is possible but having the camera provide a better view would sure be nice.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I would adjust it as soon as you can. It's easy, even if you do it the way I did and have just one center screw.

The difference is night and day when you have it adjusted right. Mine was like what you said, and it was useless, maybe a little help for backing in.

Now I can see the horizon behind, make lane changes safer, see when cars are coming up on me, etc.

Easy adjustment and adds to safety right away.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I will be watching this thread closely before I try to adjust my camera. I really do need to get this done as my current view only allows be to see about 10 feet behind me. I trailered way back in the 70s and a little in the 80s before the invention of rear cameras so it is possible but having the camera provide a better view would sure be nice.
I got the camera option with delivery of my AS from factory. I decided to adjust mine also to see more of what was behind me. Very easy to do as others have said I took out two screws on each side leaving one on each and that allowed the camera to look back more. One screw on each side is quite sufficient to hold camera in place.

I do notice that objects behind appear farther back than they are so have to take that into account. Wish I could change lens to get better depth view, but having this camera is essential in driving to me.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #19
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Ok, will be removing two screws on either side as described by others but apprehensive. Just seems wrong and there must be a better solution than trashing four screws on a perfectly new mounting. If the manufacturer thought two screws was sufficient to safety secure the device then why did they use 6??? Got to be a better way...
Old 02-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
You might still be able to get all 6 screws in. Depends on how the tracks are lined up. Loosen all 6 and see if the radius will allow you to adjust.

Loosen screws adjust camera. If angle good. Tighten all 6. If angle not good and you need to adjust further, then you have to remove the screws.